Is Tre White worth top corner money?

DuckyBoys

4 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Not trolling here guys.  Long off season, tired of discussing Josh and Daboll.  How were handling roster structure/money/  This is what I was getting at.  Or let me rephrase the question.  If we didnt have Tre would we bring in a top dollar corner for this particular defensive scheme? 

If you’re not trolling, and the jury is still out, then you have no clue how an NFL team is run.

We have a seat for you. #KT

DA2BF9D7-0536-42A1-9C93-74E7BEE45A1F.jpeg

Tre and Gilmore were named All Pro corners.  By definition he is a top corner, and will command top corner money when his contract negotiations begin. The “home team discount” is not usually a reality.  There will likely be a bidding war. If some team is willing to pay crazy, stupid money, then the Bills may decide to let him go. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

You just don’t know what you are talking about. There is no question that Mcdermott was in Charge the second he walked in the building. Mcdermott let Gilmore walk and Mcdermott was the one who was responsible for the draft not Whaley. 

First, not true, fan mythology that McD walked in with absolute power.  

Second, that doesn’t even matter because Beane is in charge of the roster today, not McD.  Both have literally said this.  They work together, BUT Beane makes all final decisions regardless of McD.  Again, both have literally said this multiple times.  

Basically you are telling me it doesn’t matter who is GM, so we can fire Beane and replace him with Whaley and it will all be the same.  

Seriously this line of thinking is astounding even for TSW that a few of you can’t separate McD/Whaley and McD/Beane as if there is no difference.  Yet everyone slams Whaley and praises Beane at the same time lmao.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Is any cornerback playing in a primarily zone scheme  worth paying top money?  I would not be shocked to see a CB drafted early by Buffalo How do they handle it this time after letting Gilmore walk?  I know he's under contract for 2020 just curious what you guys think is the long term plan

Yes the kid is a special special player 

17 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Would you say the Bills made a big mistake letting Gilmore walk?

Did we let him walk ? Because if I remember correctly he didn't want to be here 

49 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Tre and Gilmore were named All Pro corners.  By definition he is a top corner, and will command top corner money when his contract negotiations begin. The “home team discount” is not usually a reality.  There will likely be a bidding war. If some team is willing to pay crazy, stupid money, then the Bills may decide to let him go. Time will tell. 

It should never come down to that we need to sign him and make him the highest paid CB in league ( IMO ) no discussion 

Alot of cap space.  First team all-pro.  He's a McDermott guy.  I think it's a no doubter.  Phillips and Lawson imo are more 50/50.  I think everyone forgets that Harrison Phillips and Oliver made Jordan Phillips the odd man out in September.  Johnson is alot cheaper option than Lawson as a 3rd De.

The responses in this thread are disappointing.  There is no need to insult people who question whether Tre White deserves to be the highest paid corner in the league.  We all love him, but he is primarily a zone corner and as such has different responsibilities than someone like Gilmore.  Chris Simms, who is a big Bills fan, this morning said he does not believe Tre is a top five corner and that he is not in the same category as top cover corners who are asked to shadow the other team's best receiver all over the field.  He literally mocked those who consider Tre on the same level as Gilmore or Humphrey.  I'm not saying Simms is right, but the OP raises a legitimate question and it's unfortunate that the response here is just to shout him down.     

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First, not true, fan mythology that McD walked in with absolute power.  

Second, that doesn’t even matter because Beane is in charge of the roster today, not McD.  Both have literally said this.  They work together, BUT Beane makes all final decisions regardless of McD.  Again, both have literally said this multiple times.  

Basically you are telling me it doesn’t matter who is GM, so we can fire Beane and replace him with Whaley and it will all be the same.  

Seriously this line of thinking is astounding even for TSW that a few of you can’t separate McD/Whaley and McD/Beane as if there is no difference.  Yet everyone slams Whaley and praises Beane at the same time lmao.  

nonsense

2 hours ago, wppete said:

I guess you haven’t been following the Bills that closely. Look it up. I’m not wasting my time. Dorsey already discussed in an interview it was McDermott he talked to prior to the trade up not Whaley. You are wrong thinking Whaley was on charge of the free agency and draft. 

Nobody is disputing that by the time of the draft that McDermott was in charge.  He likely hadn't even been hired yet when the Bills decided that they weren't paying Gilmore.  Hell, the Bills probably decided that they weren't re-signing Gilmore during the 2016 season because that's when the claims that Gilmore "didn't want to be here" started percolating (always a sign that Wilson/Brandon were prepping to dump a quality player for used athletic equipment or less), probably as a result of Gilmore's agent laughing at whatever the Bills initial under-market offer was.   

The two best FA acquisitions since 2017 were Hyde and Poyer.  It's likely that they were Whaley's signees because they were the kind of players that he sniffed out ... unheralded younger vets who could blossom in the Bills defensive scheme. Jerry Hughes was a similar acquisition.  None of the veterans that the Bills have acquired since through trade or free agency have been even close to the same quality as Hyde and Poyer.   Some time between the signing of Hyde and Poyer, who were done early in FA, and the draft, Whaley was pushed out.  My guess is that it was because of the draft, not because of any conflict over FAs.  I think that Whaley wanted either Watson or Mahomes while McDermott wanted a first round DB to replace Gilmore.  That McDermott was the one who made the deal with Dorsey -- according to Dorsey -- only says that McDermott was in charge of the draft, not that he took over control of player acquisition from the beginning of his tenure.

Edited by SoTier

19 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Is any cornerback playing in a primarily zone scheme  worth paying top money?  I would not be shocked to see a CB drafted early by Buffalo How do they handle it this time after letting Gilmore walk?  I know he's under contract for 2020 just curious what you guys think is the long term plan

You need to realize that being able to play each type of coverage at a high level offers the kind of scheme flexibility you wouldn’t enjoy otherwise.