Is Tre White worth top corner money?

DuckyBoys

On 1/6/2020 at 11:02 PM, Buffalo86 said:

Would you say the Bills made a big mistake letting Gilmore walk?

I don’t think it was a mistake to let Gilmore walk.

And, think it would be a mistake to let Tre White walk.

Different professional, situations and timing.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, Gray Beard said:

Tre and Gilmore were named All Pro corners.  By definition he is a top corner, and will command top corner money when his contract negotiations begin. The “home team discount” is not usually a reality.  There will likely be a bidding war. If some team is willing to pay crazy, stupid money, then the Bills may decide to let him go. Time will tell. 

For this reason I see the Bills taking a corner high in the draft in 2020 or 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

Is Tre White a top CB worth top CB money?  Yes.

Does that mean it is wise to invest THAT kind of money in a CB and retain him?  That is more debatable.

What would he get by the time his K is up?  $17 or $18 million a year?!  That's a lot of cash.

54 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Is Tre White a top CB worth top CB money?  Yes.

Does that mean it is wise to invest THAT kind of money in a CB and retain him?  That is more debatable.

What would he get by the time his K is up?  $17 or $18 million a year?!  That's a lot of cash.

Yes, spending that much cash on a top CB is never wise and usually is disastrous for a team.

Just ask the Patriots after they signed Gilmore.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:34 PM, Gray Beard said:

Tre and Gilmore were named All Pro corners.  By definition he is a top corner, and will command top corner money when his contract negotiations begin. The “home team discount” is not usually a reality.  There will likely be a bidding war. If some team is willing to pay crazy, stupid money, then the Bills may decide to let him go. Time will tell. 

There can't be a bidding war unless Tre goes to free agency. If the Bills let him go to free agency, that's a mistake. He should be extended long before any chance of him hitting the open market.

It will be for top corner money, though, and he deserves it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/7/2020 at 3:39 AM, Gambit said:

He had zero issues talking badly about Buffalo after he left. Doesn't sound like someone who wanted to be here. As for sour grapes. Lmao I love stupid comments like that. I wasnt sad to see someone go who didn't like to tackle while he was here and got hit left and right for PI/defensive holding. He's a much better player now with the Pats than when he played for Buffalo. Either way Tre is better and that guy is a ball of energy and super exciting to watch.

I have always taken this view point. Gilmore was not pleased to play for Buffalo. Never was .It was nice of McD to let him go find his home. Coulda tagged him. but i imagine they had a talk.
regardless . Now we have my favorite CB  playing for the Bills.

and plenty of upside with this Kid.
Lets work on the other side of the hash marks, after paying Mr White.

never look a gift Horse in the mouth.
Trust they are a blessing to be rewarded

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tredavious-white-21768/

https://theathletic.com/1519769/2020/01/08/extensions-free-agency-and-draft-what-you-should-and-shouldnt-expect-from-brandon-beane-this-offseason/?source=spotrac&pc=spotrac40off

Simple: Pay the man. He is just coming into his prime and is happy here. Start negotiating an extension soon. It willl cost a little less in the long run. You do have his 5th year option of course but it will be better for all concerned to not wait till the last minute. It's the smart thing to do.

Edited by DefenseWins

On 1/7/2020 at 7:52 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yes he is, and he will get it.

Real question we haven’t seen the answer to is, will the Bills back up the truck?

gotta pick where you spend the cap, if they can front load a deal for him next season, it might be a good time to get it done.

i hope they prioritize him. He’s only getting better. 

Bills have talked the talk about building through the draft. lets see what that means.

• Like (+1) 1