Is Tre White worth top corner money?

DuckyBoys

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But come on, McD/Whaley is no where near the same regime and decision making process as McD/Beane.  Not to mention, our cap situation is quite different too (also thanks to Beane).  There is no comparison to McD's first 60 days on the job with Whaley compared to today with Beane.

Beane is without a doubt in full control of his GM duties.  He works with McD and gets input, but its been made crystal clear that Beane is the final decision maker with personnel.  Both McD and Beane have publicly stated this.

So again, its not the same regime at all that let Gilmore walk nor are we anywhere near the same cap situation either, something Beane also cleared out to both build our team and retain talent.  

The cap situation isn't thanks to Beane. It's thanks to Beane and McDermott. The moves made by McDermott before Beane got here were already rebuild-oriented financially conservative moves, which is precisely the opposite of how things went during the years when Whaley was making the decisions.

The reason Beane is here is because McDermott gets along with him and has similar philosophies. McDermott was in the room when Beane was interviewed and you can bet that if he hadn't liked Beane and the way he does things, Beane wouldn't be here.

Whaley lost his decision-making powers very very quickly after McDermott arrived.

Whaley and McDermott have also made it clear that they do most of their decision-making by hashing it out and coming to consensus. Yes, if they disagree, Beane makes the decision on personnel. But they don't disagree all that much, as they've made clear. And their financial philosophies are just about the same, both pretty much right there with industry best practices.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

There has never been the slightest bit of confirmation about this. Every time the Bills don't pay someone market value, the sour grapes crowd says he wasn't going to stay here anyways.

He had zero issues talking badly about Buffalo after he left. Doesn't sound like someone who wanted to be here. As for sour grapes. Lmao I love stupid comments like that. I wasnt sad to see someone go who didn't like to tackle while he was here and got hit left and right for PI/defensive holding. He's a much better player now with the Pats than when he played for Buffalo. Either way Tre is better and that guy is a ball of energy and super exciting to watch.

5 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Is any cornerback playing in a primarily zone scheme  worth paying top money?  I would not be shocked to see a CB drafted early by Buffalo How do they handle it this time after letting Gilmore walk?  I know he's under contract for 2020 just curious what you guys think is the long term plan

Really? Drop a turd of a thread, then bail? Do you honestly think that’s acceptable? That it’s All Good?? Cool???

Its not.

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep I meant Norman lol

Different front office. That was a Whaley move, and he continued the organizational philosophy at the time, fwiw. It had been that way with Bills CBs for years. 

It was not. It was a McDermott move. Whaley was still here but McDermott ran that offseason.  Surely everyone knows that by now? 

As for White. Yes. Pay the man. 

4 hours ago, Gambit said:

He had zero issues talking badly about Buffalo after he left. Doesn't sound like someone who wanted to be here. As for sour grapes. Lmao I love stupid comments like that. I wasnt sad to see someone go who didn't like to tackle while he was here and got hit left and right for PI/defensive holding. He's a much better player now with the Pats than when he played for Buffalo. Either way Tre is better and that guy is a ball of energy and super exciting to watch.

I'm going to be an absolute mad lad and really go out on a limb here and speculate the "Patriots Penalty Pass" he now has for free uncalled penalties is part of why he is "much better now".  He's mugging his receiver through their whole route half the time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Is any cornerback playing in a primarily zone scheme  worth paying top money?  I would not be shocked to see a CB drafted early by Buffalo How do they handle it this time after letting Gilmore walk?  I know he's under contract for 2020 just curious what you guys think is the long term plan

Of course he is- have you dialed in on Tre and watched him ball? Time to pick up his 5th year option and extend him out.

6 hours ago, Capco said:

In today's passing league, CBs like White (zone) and Gilmore (man) are at a premium.  

Good production from the corner position is not nearly as replaceable as good production from the running back position is.  

Stallions is way off the mark. Corners are at a premium and can cause fits for top receivers. They can also change a game in a blink of an eye- Tre did that a few times this year.

Yes he is, and he will get it.

Real question we haven’t seen the answer to is, will the Bills back up the truck?

gotta pick where you spend the cap, if they can front load a deal for him next season, it might be a good time to get it done.

i hope they prioritize him. He’s only getting better. 

Tre will get a top corner contract from Buffalo - as he should.  The only question is timing.  Normally I’d say pick his 5th year option up and start negotiating after his fourth year.  But there’s a new CBA on the horizon and we might see a nice jump up.  I wouldn’t be opposed to getting it done early.  Tre would see big money sooner and the Bills could save a few bucks.  Either way he’s gonna get paid. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

He just earned All-Pro and has arguably been their best player since Drafted in 2017. There is no question here with all of the Cap Space the Bills will have over the next few years, he is their primary target for re-signing their own players. Regardless of scheme, which can change by the way if a new DC comes in to town, a CB who can cover, tackle, ball hawk and help in leadership and is a good locker room guy, you lock down. That's it. That's the plan - pay him and keep him. They will re-set the market with Tre, but Buffalo has the money and you can only preach culture for so long (which I wholeheartedly believe in) before you need to let the market value reaffirm all of the preaching and show the players you have the integrity to follow through on your promises. 

He is a 1st Rounder with a 5th year option so I don't think they do it next year, but I do think they pick up the 5th year option and negotiate during that time for his large contract. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane is the GM.   Beane was not the GM then.  

Our cap situation also is not the same either.  

So I still say this regime today has nothing to do with that first offseason where Whaley was the GM.

You are confused. Its ok.

Yes.  And him getting all pro I think helps us believe it or not.   Tre is a good dude and wont be a diva in negotiations I dont think now that he knows he will get recognized in buffalo.  If he was ignored again he would want to be top paid.  Now I think we get a slightly team friendly deal. 

9 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

If the Bills don't think a first team All Pro CB is "worth paying top money" when they don't have any other player making top tier money at their position except for maybe Morse, they have plenty of cap space, and they have serious needs to fill at other positions, then the ghosts of Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon are alive and well at OBD.

8 hours ago, Mango said:

At some point you have to pay your players though. We have a lot holes to fill still and not great depth in the secondary. CB2 is an area of need. We have to stop creating new holes. 

He plays like a top CB, pay him like a top CB. I’d prefer if they got frugal elsewhere. 

This.  The Bills need to use FA and the first two days of the draft to add two big, sure-handed receivers, a better RB than Gore or Yeldon, and an edge rusher as well as maybe an OLer if they can find one.  They also need to generally upgrade their non-starter talent so that their STs can become assets rather than liabilities.  They don't need to make CB1 another Day 1 or 2 need which they've done repeatedly in the past.

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

What? Are we back to more of this? 
We draft guys. Develop them. When they are about to peak let them leave in free agency and get nothing for it. Then we cry they are great for their next team and cry that the rookie we drafted to replace them is a rookie and may struggle while he learns. At some point you HAVE to start paying the players you draft. This isn’t a holdout situation or a diva being greedy. Guy has balled out and busted butt here and is arguably the face of our defense and gameplanned for by every team we face. You reward players like that and pay them. 

This has been exactly why the Bills went 17 years without a playoff appearance.  They were always spinning their wheels because they were always creating holes by letting their best players walk away ... and that was most noticeable when it came to DBs.

8 hours ago, wppete said:

Mcdermott was the one that decided to not resign Gilmore or at least franchise him. They let him walk and a month later they Draft Tredavious White at #27 in the first round after trading down with KC to get an extra draft pick the following year that they used to Draft Josh Allen.

^^^

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott was coach when Gilmore left in FA.  He could have franchise tagged him to give time to work something out.

I think it's fair to say he felt Gilmore was not worth the money he'd want as a CB in the system he wanted to implement.

I don't think that McDermott can be responsible for the decision to not re-sign Gilmore; he may have agreed with it but the timeline doesn't fit for him to have made the actual decision.  It was generally speculated in the media that Gilmore wouldn't be back in 2017 before the 2016 season ended, well before McDermott was hired.   McDermott was hired in January, 2017, so he would have been on the job only a few weeks before FA started, and wouldn't have had time to supplant Whaley before the decision to let Gilmore walk was made.  The FA signing period generally starts in early March IIRC, but the teams decide which players to re-sign or franchise before that, and McDermott would have been too new to have acquired that much power.

Moreover, not paying outstanding players, especially DBs, for the market rate was pretty much an institutional policy under Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon ... and the GMs Donahoe, Nix, and Whaley all accepted that.   I also don't think franchise tagging Gilmore was ever even considered.  I can't think of any player the Bills franchise tagged since 2000 ... 

I've said it before that how the Bills handle White -- whether they re-sign him or let him walk -- will indicate whether McDermott and Beane are truly a new regime or if the legacy of Wilson and Brandon still rules the Bills.