Is Tre White worth top corner money?

DuckyBoys

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

There may be an argument for replenishing the CB position via the draft. It’s a matter of organizational philosophy. My guess is the Bills will retain White , and are now not opposed to paying top CBs a second contract as an organization. 

It just depends on the overall cap situation at the time, the age of the player, quality of the CB draft class, other positional needs, etc.There are times you need to let them walk - ala Gilmore and Clements & times when you should keep them Winfield & Tre

52 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They did NOT let Gilmore walk.  This regime has nothing to do with the old regime.  

McDermott was coach when Gilmore left in FA.  He could have franchise tagged him to give time to work something out.

I think it's fair to say he felt Gilmore was not worth the money he'd want as a CB in the system he wanted to implement.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

Mcdermott was the one that decided to not resign Gilmore or at least franchise him. They let him walk and a month later they Draft Tredavious White at #27 in the first round after trading down with KC to get an extra draft pick the following year that they used to Draft Josh Allen.

Beane is the GM.   Beane was not the GM then.  

Our cap situation also is not the same either.  

So I still say this regime today has nothing to do with that first offseason where Whaley was the GM.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott was coach when Gilmore left in FA.  He could have franchise tagged him to give time to work something out.

I think it's fair to say he felt Gilmore was not worth the money he'd want as a CB in the system he wanted to implement.

they wanted to (and did) turn the roster over and reset the cap

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But come on, McD/Whaley is no where near the same regime and decision making process as McD/Beane.  Not to mention, our cap situation is quite different too (also thanks to Beane).  There is no comparison to McD's first 60 days on the job with Whaley compared to today with Beane.

Beane is without a doubt in full control of his GM duties.  He works with McD and gets input, but its been made crystal clear that Beane is the final decision maker with personnel.  Both McD and Beane have publicly stated this.

So again, its not the same regime at all that let Gilmore walk nor are we anywhere near the same cap situation either, something Beane also cleared out to both build our team and retain talent.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

There is exact ONE guy on this team who they should back in the Brinks truck to keep, and his name is Tre White.

I've been fine with the decision to let a lot of players go over the years but if this guy isn't wearing a Bills uni for the next 10 years I will be very, very pissed off.   If it makes sense from a cap management standpoint, this offseason would not be too soon to give him an extension.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No, not worth paying CB's top money, not in today's NFL where it is nearly impossible to play the position without getting a PI flag.  The money is better spent on elite D-line players, both DE/edge and DT.

Hoody paid Gilmore though, so suggest he wouldn’t agree with you..

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep I meant Norman lol

Different front office. That was a Whaley move, and he continued the organizational philosophy at the time, fwiw. It had been that way with Bills CBs for years. 

Hunh? No.

Gilmore was a Bill in 2016.

2017 was McDermott's first year here, and well before February, the Buffalo News was reporting that the Pegulas, having observed McDermott's first couple of weeks, were putting him in control of things in the FO.

They may well have like Gilmore but figured they needed to save cap space early in the rebuild with Whaley's poor handling of the cap. Rebuilds hurt.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Stallions said:

NO!!!  CB's are a dime a dozen in the draft.

In today's passing league, CBs like White (zone) and Gilmore (man) are at a premium.  

Good production from the corner position is not nearly as replaceable as good production from the running back position is.  

3 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Is any cornerback playing in a primarily zone scheme  worth paying top money?  I would not be shocked to see a CB drafted early by Buffalo How do they handle it this time after letting Gilmore walk?  I know he's under contract for 2020 just curious what you guys think is the long term plan

I bet the Bills can save some money by letting Tre walk and coaxing Chris Watson out of retirement for veteran minimum.

Cash to cap baby! Ralph is cheap....

Edited by Motorin'
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

Honestly, no. For one he wasn't gonna stay with Buffalo anyways. We also most likely wouldn't have drafted Tre who I think is better and hilarious. So, I'm fine letting him go. 

There has never been the slightest bit of confirmation about this. Every time the Bills don't pay someone market value, the sour grapes crowd says he wasn't going to stay here anyways.

• Thank you (+1) 1