Is Tre White worth top corner money?

DuckyBoys

6 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

What is this Josh Gordon situation?

Just referring to a few years back when Josh Norman lol hit free agency. There was talk about him not being worth the $$ because he was primarily a zone corner. Anyway, I think Tre is a much better player than Norman 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Yep I meant Norman lol

5 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Would you say the Bills made a big mistake letting Gilmore walk?

Different front office. That was a Whaley move, and he continued the organizational philosophy at the time, fwiw. It had been that way with Bills CBs for years. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Would you say the Bills made a big mistake letting Gilmore walk?

Honestly, no. For one he wasn't gonna stay with Buffalo anyways. We also most likely wouldn't have drafted Tre who I think is better and hilarious. So, I'm fine letting him go. 

No, not worth paying CB's top money, not in today's NFL where it is nearly impossible to play the position without getting a PI flag.  The money is better spent on elite D-line players, both DE/edge and DT.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Just referring to a few years back when Josh Norman lol hit free agency. There was talk about him not being worth the $$ because he was primarily a zone corner. Anyway, I think Tre is a much better player than Norman 

Agreed, and I also think Tre has much less of a drug problem than Josh Gordon.

• Haha (+1) 2

Honestly, with the way McDermott has shown he can develop corners and get them to play well:

Tre White

Levi Wallace

Taron Johnson 

Kevin Johnson

Siran Neal

E.J. Gaines 

I don't know that you pay a CB $15-$16M a year, which is probably what Tre White will be looking for.

7 minutes ago, Estro said:

Honestly, with the way McDermott has shown he can develop corners and get them to play well:

Tre White

Levi Wallace

Taron Johnson 

Kevin Johnson

Siran Neal

E.J. Gaines 

I don't know that you pay a CB $15-$16M a year, which is probably what Tre White will be looking for.

At some point you have to pay your players though. We have a lot holes to fill still and not great depth in the secondary. CB2 is an area of need. We have to stop creating new holes. 

He plays like a top CB, pay him like a top CB. I’d prefer if they got frugal elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What? Are we back to more of this? 
We draft guys. Develop them. When they are about to peak let them leave in free agency and get nothing for it. Then we cry they are great for their next team and cry that the rookie we drafted to replace them is a rookie and may struggle while he learns. At some point you HAVE to start paying the players you draft. This isn’t a holdout situation or a diva being greedy. Guy has balled out and busted butt here and is arguably the face of our defense and gameplanned for by every team we face. You reward players like that and pay them. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a Josh Gordon situation here, or even a Gilmore situation for that matter. White will be retained. The previous regime clearly had a philosophy about not paying CBs a second contract,  but those days are gone now. 

NO!!!  CB's are a dime a dozen in the draft.

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They did NOT let Gilmore walk.  This regime has nothing to do with the old regime.  

Mcdermott was the one that decided to not resign Gilmore or at least franchise him. They let him walk and a month later they Draft Tredavious White at #27 in the first round after trading down with KC to get an extra draft pick the following year that they used to Draft Josh Allen.

1 minute ago, Stallions said:

NO!!!  CB's are a dime a dozen in the draft.

There may be an argument for replenishing the CB position via the draft. It’s a matter of organizational philosophy. My guess is the Bills will retain White , and are now not opposed to paying top CBs a second contract as an organization. 

• Like (+1) 1