PFT: Uncalled helmet to helmet hit on Allen in OT could have set up GW FG

YoloinOhio

The hit took place on the Bills’ first possession in overtime. The Texans had already had a possession and punted, which means the Bills just needed a field goal to win. Allen ran the ball and was drilled by Cunningham at the Texans’ 42-yard line. Cunningham went helmet first, with the crown of his helmet hitting the side of Allen’s helmet and knocking Allen to the ground. No flag was thrown.

Allen was a runner, which means he isn’t entitled to any special protection the way he would be if he were passing. But even runners are supposed to be protected from opponents lowering their helmets to initiate contact. That’s been a major emphasis of the NFL’s in recent years, and what Cunningham did was a clear example of what is supposed to be penalized.

If it had been penalized, it would have given the Bills first-and-10 at the 27-yard line. They would have been in range for a game-winning field goal.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yep. Totally blown non call. Like Cam,  I wonder if there’s a bias against Josh because he’s a bigger QB and he isn’t afforded extra protection. I get he’s a running back at that point, but I have to wonder if a smaller QB like Jackson has the ref’s eye on plays like that.

• Like (+1) 4

Mmm I thought it was borderline in game but Newton never gets this call and Allen probably won't for his career trajectory. However unfair that may be

Now Clowney's hit on Wentz: THAT was 100% unnecessary roughness. And probably warranted more than 15 yards tbh

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Give the Saints fans credit, they threw garbage at the refs after the game.  

This game is somewhat similar to last year's NFC Championship.  There were some egregious non calls but the Saints had a million opportunities to put the game away.  Same thing with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

hearing & reading posts like this just makes me more depressed. Yeah for sure there shouldve been a penalty there. There were lots of opportunities for us to win the game. Wrong or missed calls by the refs but more impactful imo were our own mistakes. It sucks to get blown out of a game, probably sucks even more to think you shouldve won a game when you lose it.

All we can do is hope this loss pains them & they turn it into extra motivation for next season.

Edited by brianthomas

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Send this to Ford, Knox, and Morse with a note that says “this is the kind of rubbish that we have to hear when a 3 players miss a block that would’ve cleared the way for the QB to get into chip shot FG range”

Spot on, I still don’t understand their mindset.

You know your QB is running behind you, YOUR QB!!!!! How do you not execute...

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc Brown said:

This game is somewhat similar to last year's NFC Championship.  There were some egregious non calls but the Saints had a million opportunities to put the game away.  Same thing with the Bills.

Exactly, NFL officiating is a travesty, but often times the game can be won regardless. The Vikings had at least a field goal anyway. Who knows if Bress would have scored, they weren’t looking very unstoppable to me. 

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Name the calls that benefited the Bills in that game. There were three terrible calls that benefited the Texans and cost the Bills dearly.

Fair enough, but I’m sure we committed penalties they missed. I’m just saying NFL officiating is generally bad. You never who’s going to get the short end of the stick from one week to the next. We still had plenty of opportunities to win that game. 

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. Totally blown non call. Like Cam,  I wonder if there’s a bias against Josh because he’s a bigger QB and he isn’t afforded extra protection. I get he’s a running back at that point, but I have to wonder if a smaller QB like Jackson has the ref’s eye on plays like that.

He needs to start embellishing his reaction to the hits so that he gets the calls and they stop taking liberties.

Cam was a knucklehead and tried to play tough guy and didn't get calls and took more hits...........Allen doesn't do that but he doesn't work the officials enough.

• Awesome! (+1) 1