WR technique- the push off. To teach or not to teach?

NewEra

I feel that pushing off is a skill in today’s game. Those WRs that can subtlety push off to the point where the officials don’t call it a penalty are in demand in today’s nfl imo.  I’d be practicing the subtle push off for at

least an hour a day.  They don’t call it. It happens on the majority of mid to deep passes from my football watching experience......and it almost never gets called.

how do you guys feel about the state of the “push off” in today’s league?  At this point, they can’t really even call it considering some of the plays they’ve allowed to this point 

Edited by NewEra

Absolutely teach it.

I used to coach select soccer teams.  I taught how to dive and when.  I also taught how to grab the opposing player and not get caught.  Gamesmanship is certainly part of the game. 

Kind of like the seahawks hold on every play and make then call it strategy, playing the refs is as important as playing the game.

It’s so subjective, particularly in today’s NFL.

MN clearly pushed off for the win yesterday and it wasn’t flagged or even reviewed. I suspect teams know which zebras call them and which don’t and they make their weekly coaching decisions based on that.  Not much to coach so far as ‘pushing’...only when to do it. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I think it's just like every position there are ways to subtly cheat that are essentially expected at this level.

Yup, not teaching that would be dereliction of duty.

You have to deal with the officials, their expectations and how the way they interpret the rules and determine penalties. This absolutely should be and is being taught in every locker room in the league, and college and high school as well.

There's going to be contact between WR and CB. That's life. What can you do to stay within whatever is being treated by the authorities as legal? It's part of the job.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I feel that pushing off is a skill in today’s game. Those WRs that can subtlety push off to the point where the officials don’t call it a penalty are in demand in today’s nfl imo.  I’d be practicing the subtle push off for at

least an hour a day.  They don’t call it. It happens on the majority of mid to deep passes from my football watching experience......and it almost never gets called.

how do you guys feel about the state of the “push off” in today’s league?  At this point, they can’t really even call it considering some of the plays they’ve allowed to this point 

as long as you do not fully extend your arms (rarely happens at this point) you are not gonna get called. 

another one if you are not getting Seperation embellish it and hook the defenders arm. 9/10 you will get the Defensive Holding or PI call 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Just don’t fully extend your arm, locking the elbow, and you’ll never get called. This is something that should be taught and practiced. It probably already is.

Yup just be discreet about it.

Fleener was fully extended that was PI

Im all for pushing off if you can do it like Plaxico Burress. 

I was a big fan of how he created separation. 

Hed lower one hand and push and extend on the defenders hip/lower back. Harder for the refs to catch and just as effective.