Should season ticket holders protest?

7 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Dumbest response in a long line of dumb responses. The officials are not tasked with judging intent, they are there to enforce rules that in this instance are black & white. In victory formation can a qb  just hand the ball to the the official, Or does he have to kneel first? Does a runner who is 20 yards in front of the last defender have to cross the goal line before tossing the ball in celebration or is it ok to accidentally throw it 6” before the goal line? I mean he intended to cross the line before throwing it. You see rules matter, you can’t be so ambiguous to leave judging intent to the officiating, chaos  would ensue and favoritism would be screamed at every turn.. The NFL’s men in there little black outfits decided they did not want this embarrassment, wanted a Competive game, and they wanted the JJ Watt story to continue. They figured there would be enough people like you that would be fine with them ignoring the rules because it was so unbelievable that they could get away with it without much of an uproar. Typical NFL ***** show...

Fair catching is all about intent. Read the Fing rule before spouting off on how dumb people are. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So, common sense has no place in rules interpretation? Can’t disagree more. The returner gave himself up and that was obvious, regardless of the technicality involved.

NFL refs get so much wrong during the course of a season and it’s by far the worst officiated sport in the world, but every once in a while they get it right. 

At first I accepted the overturning myself, but having watched a discussion on a sports show from former players, they all agreed that the rules should be followed strictly and gave some good examples - such as, what about victory formation? Is it ok if the QB doesn’t take a knee? What about the fake spike play for example? What if the Texans player was faking giving himself up in the end zone and then runs it back for a touchdown? He has to put his knee down, period.

1 hour ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

So I’d like to talk about something other than the play on the field there are a lot of great threads discussing that and we will have all offseason to discuss.

I gotta good laugh out of the thread about can the fans sue the nfl for the td call back  fumble play. While the answer is yes you can it obviously isn’t going anywhere as the nfl already stated they are just an entertainment business. But can the fans do anything else? Can we band together to demand some type of explanation or clarification to what exactly happened with the refs and how we can prevent this from happening in the future? I wonder what would even suffice and what could be said to fans to make it better? I don’t have a good answer for them. 

I’ve thought for many years now that since goodell has taken over that the nfl has turned into the wwe and I think there are dozens of examples in the last two decades that would point to that. I think as a season ticket holder and fan that maybe it’s time we demand more from the nfl. I was upset with some of the in game calls that were made or weren’t made but usually when you get down to it there’s a lot of grey area when calling a nfl game and fans are never going to completely happy with the way a game is called. That’s to be expected but the nfl has gone completely off the rails. Experienced viewers never know when or if a penalty will be called and there never seems to be any consistently. It’s a joke. 

However that isn’t my main concern. What is my concern is the obvious td callback. the rules make it 100% clear what you need to do as a returner when catching the ball in the end zone. It was the one time any experienced person that knows the rules understands that guy made a bonehead play that cost his team.  The refs as we know made the correct call and then something happened that I’ve never seen in my life. You had all these refs I’ve never seen in a game running onto the field calling a meeting. I’d like an answer for why were they allowed onto the field to and what initiated their decision to come onto the field. From what I’ve heard so far the refs in all black received a call from NY that there was an error of judgement made by the crew and that the call had to be overturned. Who is responsible for that and will there be any accountability for what they did? 

My guess and I don’t even think this is conspiracy stuff is that the nfl wanted a competitive game because it was better for their ratings. They are in the entertainment business after all and the most important thing to them is ratings and guess what, they got it but at the bills expense. That is ridiculous if you ask me and something that should be taken way more seriously then what I’m seeing in the aftermath. ESPN didnt even mention the play anywhere on the nfl page. It’s still all about jj watt and Watson. But because it could have ruined the game ratings wise the NFL, not the game crew determined that we didn’t have to follow the rules anymore but instead use common sense. That is flat out wrong. 

I know there will be tough tough guys stating things like just get over it or deal with it but if no one ever takes a stand it will just be more of the same. So maybe as fans there’s a way to group together not as a protest to the bills or the pegulas but in order to stand up to the nfl and say we aren’t renewing season tickets until you’ve admitted your mistakes and correct this so we never had to go through this bs again. Otherwise, just enjoy football like a slightly more entertaining sport than wwe because it couldn’t be more obvious that it is. 

Any person has the power to make an impact when they believe in something.

The question is how much do you care about this to invest yourself in it? Is it worth spending countless hours and days fighting this? For most people, I would say the answer would be no, there are things more important for them to fight for. Therefore it would be difficult to get a mass crowd to follow you in protest.

But hey, you should go with your own feeling!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Ive never seen it would love to see your example. 

every week kick returners put their arms out. Catch the ball. Walk and flip it to the ref. Happens EVERY week. Just watch games 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

every week kick returners put their arms out. Catch the ball. Walk and flip it to the ref. Happens EVERY week. Just watch games 

they got something to whine about for the rest of their lives, they are quite thrilled to do so...  :(

16 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The runner didn’t give himself up, there is only three ways to that and he clearly did not. Common sense has no place here, black and white rules do.

Has nothing to do with the fact the NFL didn’t follow their own rules.  

Please, by all means, list for me the three ways a KO returner has to give himself up in his own endzone. 

Common sense comes into play whether you like it or not. In all walks of life. Things must be beautiful in your black and white world. 

15 minutes ago, mead107 said:

A lawsuit against the Nfl would be the best choice. 
not Bills fault 

The Bills are the NFL, the NFL is 32 groups of billionaires, to include the Pegulas, so if you are bringing a law suit against the NFL you are bringing it against all the owners groups, to include the Bills. That monopoly really needs to be broken up. 

1 hour ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

So I’d like to talk about something other than the play on the field there are a lot of great threads discussing that and we will have all offseason to discuss.

I gotta good laugh out of the thread about can the fans sue the nfl for the td call back  fumble play. While the answer is yes you can it obviously isn’t going anywhere as the nfl already stated they are just an entertainment business. But can the fans do anything else? Can we band together to demand some type of explanation or clarification to what exactly happened with the refs and how we can prevent this from happening in the future? I wonder what would even suffice and what could be said to fans to make it better? I don’t have a good answer for them. 

I’ve thought for many years now that since goodell has taken over that the nfl has turned into the wwe and I think there are dozens of examples in the last two decades that would point to that. I think as a season ticket holder and fan that maybe it’s time we demand more from the nfl. I was upset with some of the in game calls that were made or weren’t made but usually when you get down to it there’s a lot of grey area when calling a nfl game and fans are never going to completely happy with the way a game is called. That’s to be expected but the nfl has gone completely off the rails. Experienced viewers never know when or if a penalty will be called and there never seems to be any consistently. It’s a joke. 

However that isn’t my main concern. What is my concern is the obvious td callback. the rules make it 100% clear what you need to do as a returner when catching the ball in the end zone. It was the one time any experienced person that knows the rules understands that guy made a bonehead play that cost his team.  The refs as we know made the correct call and then something happened that I’ve never seen in my life. You had all these refs I’ve never seen in a game running onto the field calling a meeting. I’d like an answer for why were they allowed onto the field to and what initiated their decision to come onto the field. From what I’ve heard so far the refs in all black received a call from NY that there was an error of judgement made by the crew and that the call had to be overturned. Who is responsible for that and will there be any accountability for what they did? 

My guess and I don’t even think this is conspiracy stuff is that the nfl wanted a competitive game because it was better for their ratings. They are in the entertainment business after all and the most important thing to them is ratings and guess what, they got it but at the bills expense. That is ridiculous if you ask me and something that should be taken way more seriously then what I’m seeing in the aftermath. ESPN didnt even mention the play anywhere on the nfl page. It’s still all about jj watt and Watson. But because it could have ruined the game ratings wise the NFL, not the game crew determined that we didn’t have to follow the rules anymore but instead use common sense. That is flat out wrong. 

I know there will be tough tough guys stating things like just get over it or deal with it but if no one ever takes a stand it will just be more of the same. So maybe as fans there’s a way to group together not as a protest to the bills or the pegulas but in order to stand up to the nfl and say we aren’t renewing season tickets until you’ve admitted your mistakes and correct this so we never had to go through this bs again. Otherwise, just enjoy football like a slightly more entertaining sport than wwe because it couldn’t be more obvious that it is. 

I think if you protest by never posting on here again the league will definitely take notice ?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

How did the Saints fans do with their lawsuit? That was FAR more egregious. 

NOTHING is going to change, so I’d prefer to look forward rather than have a tantrum and focus on the past. We need them to do better next time. Control the things you CAN control, and improve. I think we will do exactly that. 

GO BILLS! 

I see the butt hurt brigade is out in full force today.

Here’s a clue for them: no game in the history of the NFL has ever been won or lost on one play. Not. One. Now that may be too big a concept for the third graders who watch the games and get all passed off when calls go against them, but it’s true none the less. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Is that arms out gesture that many returners have been making an official fair catch signal? They all do the same and I always just thought it was just to tell their team, not an official signal. 

Some rules have room for judgement others do not. This one doesn't.  Unless that's an official fair catch type signal...betcha it will be next year...that was a live ball. Sucks but it is what it is. 

Edited by Maybe Someday

29 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I wonder if SDS will consider pulling the plug on TBD forums for a suitable time period following the end of a season.  ?

Mods try hard to prune out some of the worst crap (and take pushback for it, sheesh) and to make people put reasonable titles on their threads.

Then we all trust people's good sense to stay out of the threads that are going to rot their socks.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, class_of_2012 said:

This was not a scoring play. The call on the field, after the officials conferred, was no TD. Unless it is called a score on the field, it can't be reviewed.

The referee signaled TD watch the replay

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Fair catching is all about intent. Read the Fing rule before spouting off on how dumb people are. 

You mean this rule?  Which doesnt use the word "intent"?

"A member of the team attempting to catch a punt or kickoff may signal for a fair catch. To request a fair catch, the receiver must raise one arm fully above their head and wave it from side to side while the ball is in flight. "

Fing maroon

Anyone with common sense knows that the NFL just opened a huge Pandoras Box with their "common sense" over-ruling, you know, the actual RULES.

This is actually a big deal.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Please, by all means, list for me the three ways a KO returner has to give himself up in his own endzone. 

Common sense comes into play whether you like it or not. In all walks of life. Things must be beautiful in your black and white world. 

It does.  And common sense suggests abandoning the rule book and the events that transpired on the field in favor of ruling on intent is dangerous precedent.  

In order to "give himself up" the returner has to let the ball land in the endzone, signal fair catch, or take a knee.  He did not satisfy any of these criteria.  I don't think 3 rules is that onerous but some disagree. 

The officials shrank in the moment and did not have the balls to stick with the correct call.  Whether the rule is good or not is a separate discussion.