Should season ticket holders protest?

So I’d like to talk about something other than the play on the field there are a lot of great threads discussing that and we will have all offseason to discuss.

I gotta good laugh out of the thread about can the fans sue the nfl for the td call back  fumble play. While the answer is yes you can it obviously isn’t going anywhere as the nfl already stated they are just an entertainment business. But can the fans do anything else? Can we band together to demand some type of explanation or clarification to what exactly happened with the refs and how we can prevent this from happening in the future? I wonder what would even suffice and what could be said to fans to make it better? I don’t have a good answer for them. 

I’ve thought for many years now that since goodell has taken over that the nfl has turned into the wwe and I think there are dozens of examples in the last two decades that would point to that. I think as a season ticket holder and fan that maybe it’s time we demand more from the nfl. I was upset with some of the in game calls that were made or weren’t made but usually when you get down to it there’s a lot of grey area when calling a nfl game and fans are never going to completely happy with the way a game is called. That’s to be expected but the nfl has gone completely off the rails. Experienced viewers never know when or if a penalty will be called and there never seems to be any consistently. It’s a joke. 

However that isn’t my main concern. What is my concern is the obvious td callback. the rules make it 100% clear what you need to do as a returner when catching the ball in the end zone. It was the one time any experienced person that knows the rules understands that guy made a bonehead play that cost his team.  The refs as we know made the correct call and then something happened that I’ve never seen in my life. You had all these refs I’ve never seen in a game running onto the field calling a meeting. I’d like an answer for why were they allowed onto the field to and what initiated their decision to come onto the field. From what I’ve heard so far the refs in all black received a call from NY that there was an error of judgement made by the crew and that the call had to be overturned. Who is responsible for that and will there be any accountability for what they did? 

My guess and I don’t even think this is conspiracy stuff is that the nfl wanted a competitive game because it was better for their ratings. They are in the entertainment business after all and the most important thing to them is ratings and guess what, they got it but at the bills expense. That is ridiculous if you ask me and something that should be taken way more seriously then what I’m seeing in the aftermath. ESPN didnt even mention the play anywhere on the nfl page. It’s still all about jj watt and Watson. But because it could have ruined the game ratings wise the NFL, not the game crew determined that we didn’t have to follow the rules anymore but instead use common sense. That is flat out wrong. 

I know there will be tough tough guys stating things like just get over it or deal with it but if no one ever takes a stand it will just be more of the same. So maybe as fans there’s a way to group together not as a protest to the bills or the pegulas but in order to stand up to the nfl and say we aren’t renewing season tickets until you’ve admitted your mistakes and correct this so we never had to go through this bs again. Otherwise, just enjoy football like a slightly more entertaining sport than wwe because it couldn’t be more obvious that it is. 

• Like (+1) 4

The simple answer is YES. We can do something. The people have all the power, and they know it. The problem is that the people don't believe they have any power.

You're going to get people mocking you for suggesting something like this, but remember that you're not the problem here, they are. 

If you're looking for ways to do something, and you're committed, the simplest way to make a difference is to go on Twitter or Facebook of any brands that advertised during the game, and complain that you are never going to buy their products again for supporting such a rigged product. Get 25-30 people to post the right words in the right place, and I guarantee you it will reach very high levels in the company and will be discussed when they are renegotiating next season. 

Do this to enough brands, and the NFL marketing team will start taking notice and alerting superiors. It will be brought up to the highest levels for discussion. At that point, nothing might happen, but you will have made a dent. 

It's not impossible if you're committed. If you get traction, I'll get on board with you. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, buffalostu2 said:

You raise a good point about NY.  The rules state that NY makes replay calls in the last two minutes, not throughout the game unless there is a challenge.  This is not college.  At a minimum Houston should have had to challenge it (if it is a play that can be challenged).

but all scoring plays are reviewed are they not? or just those that are close?

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

However that isn’t my main concern. What is my concern is the obvious td callback. the rules make it 100% clear what you need to do as a returner when catching the ball in the end zone. It was the one time any experienced person that knows the rules understands that guy made a bonehead play that cost his team.  The refs as we know made the correct call and then something happened that I’ve never seen in my life. You had all these refs I’ve never seen in a game running onto the field calling a meeting. I’d like an answer for why were they allowed onto the field to and what initiated their decision to come onto the field. From what I’ve heard so far the refs in all black received a call from NY that there was an error of judgement made by the crew and that the call had to be overturned. Who is responsible for that and will there be any accountability for what they did? 

Because common sense needed to prevail in that situation. Yes, the Houston player only did one of the two acts required to indicate his intentions and yes, technically the ref made the right call initially. But the returner made NO attempt to catch and return the ball. It was CLEAR what his intention was, which is why common sense needed to prevail. They got it right through consultation. 

My barometer has always been, how would I feel if they called it against my team. And I would have been apoplectic if that call were made against us. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

You raise a good point about NY.  The rules state that NY makes replay calls in the last two minutes, not throughout the game unless there is a challenge.  This is not college.  At a minimum Houston should have had to challenge it (if it is a play that can be challenged).

all turnovers and scores are reviewed. Jesus it was the right call he was clearly giving himself up and happens just like that EVERY WEEK 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

SURE! Knock yourself out! I’m sure you’ll get your way on this one! How could you lose?

Or.....why would you bother? I mean, what do you seriously expect to be done? Time to move on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Because common sense needed to prevail in that situation. Yes, the Houston player only did one of the two acts required to indicate his intentions and yes, technically the ref made the right call initially. But the returner made NO attempt to catch and return the ball. It was CLEAR what his intention was, which is why common sense needed to prevail. They got it right through consultation. 

My barometer has always been, how would I feel if they called it against my team. And I would have been apoplectic if that call were made against us. 

If this happened to the Bills I would have beenpissed also.  

At the returner for not knowing the rules. 

Not at at the ref for doing his job and properly administering the rules of the game. 

• Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That's the thing. People threw out "common sense" as if that is always the case. 

Nobody threw out common sense when Desean Jackson spiked the ball before going over the goal line, or the Plaxico incident. These sorts of "strange" incidents always happen in sports and the usual response is "tough luck, you should've known the rules".

This is the first time I've ever even heard of "referee assistants", and normally plays need to be eligible for review before they can be overturned by NY. None of that happened. It's very fishy, and knowing how the NFL likes to keep games close for ratings, it stunk of manipulating the outcome.

By this rate, can't you say that the Ford block shouldn't have been called since it was "common sense". It's subjective. I just don't buy it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

If this happened to the Bills I would have beenpissed also.  

At the returner for not knowing the rules. 

Not at at the ref for doing his job and properly administering the rules of the game. 

So, common sense has no place in rules interpretation? Can’t disagree more. The returner gave himself up and that was obvious, regardless of the technicality involved.

NFL refs get so much wrong during the course of a season and it’s by far the worst officiated sport in the world, but every once in a while they get it right. 

6 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

That's the thing. People threw out "common sense" as if that is always the case. 

Nobody threw out common sense when Desean Jackson spiked the ball before going over the goal line, or the Plaxico incident. These sorts of "strange" incidents always happen in sports and the usual response is "tough luck, you should've known the rules".

This is the first time I've ever even heard of "referee assistants", and normally plays need to be eligible for review before they can be overturned by NY. None of that happened. It's very fishy, and knowing how the NFL likes to keep games close for ratings, it stunk of manipulating the outcome.

By this rate, can't you say that the Ford block shouldn't have been called since it was "common sense". It's subjective. I just don't buy it. 

Did the kick returner give himself up or not? Did he make a concerted effort to return the kick or not? 

I find your comparisons to the Jackson, Burress, and Ford plays lacking. For several reasons. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Dumbest response in a long line of dumb responses. The officials are not tasked with judging intent, they are there to enforce rules that in this instance are black & white. In victory formation can a qb  just hand the ball to the the official, Or does he have to kneel first? Does a runner who is 20 yards in front of the last defender have to cross the goal line before tossing the ball in celebration or is it ok to accidentally throw it 6” before the goal line? I mean he intended to cross the line before throwing it. You see rules matter, you can’t be so ambiguous to leave judging intent to the officiating, chaos  would ensue and favoritism would be screamed at every turn.. The NFL’s men in there little black outfits decided they did not want this embarrassment, wanted a Competive game, and they wanted the JJ Watt story to continue. They figured there would be enough people like you that would be fine with them ignoring the rules because it was so unbelievable that they could get away with it without much of an uproar. Typical NFL ***** show...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

The simple answer is YES. We can do something. The people have all the power, and they know it. The problem is that the people don't believe they have any power.

You're going to get people mocking you for suggesting something like this, but remember that you're not the problem here, they are. 

If you're looking for ways to do something, and you're committed, the simplest way to make a difference is to go on Twitter or Facebook of any brands that advertised during the game, and complain that you are never going to buy their products again for supporting such a rigged product. Get 25-30 people to post the right words in the right place, and I guarantee you it will reach very high levels in the company and will be discussed when they are renegotiating next season. 

Do this to enough brands, and the NFL marketing team will start taking notice and alerting superiors. It will be brought up to the highest levels for discussion. At that point, nothing might happen, but you will have made a dent. 

It's not impossible if you're committed. If you get traction, I'll get on board with you. 

Most people won’t vote, for no other reader than they are lazy good for nuthins, the rich have very successfully divided and conquered the entire country, so now the one percent, controls the ninety nine percent, the once formidable middle class is so in debt that they have no political clout, yes money is power, and if  you are busy spending yourself into debt owed to the one percent you are are a peasant, and have no societal power at all. Except the vote, which most are to F ing lazy to exercise, American citizens are dooming themselves into a subservient existence, and most are to stupid to understand that this is the case. I’m done for a now... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So, common sense has no place in rules interpretation? Can’t disagree more. The returner gave himself up and that was obvious, regardless of the technicality involved.

NFL refs get so much wrong during the course of a season and it’s by far the worst officiated sport in the world, but every once in a while they get it right. 

The runner didn’t give himself up, there is only three ways to that and he clearly did not. Common sense has no place here, black and white rules do.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

punched in a TD the first series but used gimmicks to do it

couldn't punch it in the whole rest of the game

Has nothing to do with the fact the NFL didn’t follow their own rules.  

• Like (+1) 2

The NFL has just told the world that their rule book is open to interpretation by the officials or by the league itself. Whatever works out best for the league is now the rule.

On this particular play, the Texans kick returner did not down the ball per the rules. The NFL over ruled its own rules to the benefit of one team over another during the course of a game.

Put the pressure on the league for an explanation Kim.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1