Biggest Bills needs this offseason

Estro

3 hours ago, Estro said:

In order of priority:

1. A big bruiser 2nd RB  (I never want to see Frank Gore in a Bills uniform again).  It's going to take me a while getting over the fact this coaching staff was dumb enough to give a guy that can't run 9 touches in a playoff game.  Perhaps one of the most baffling decisions by the Bills coaching staff this season. Totally inexcusable.

2. A backup QB.  If Allen ever goes down for a week or a month, find me a guy who can come in, manage the game and maybe go 2-2 over 4 games.  I think Matt Barkley is not that guy

3.  A pass rusher.  I think our defense was schemed very well this season to create pressure, but from a talent standpoint this team could use a guy who can get home and bother the QB.  Lawson might not be back, Murphy is aging, Hughes is aging.....we need an influx of youth at the pass rushing position

4. A Wide receiver.  I don't care if it's a slot guy or an outside guy, just find me a guy that has really good hands and good YAC ability.  There were too many drops this season, and with Allen's poor accuracy you need to find a guy with great hands who can pluck fastballs away from his frame.

5.  Attempt to upgrade the kicking game.  The punter was not good.  Hauschka doesn't appear to have the leg strength he once had......not terrible, but not great

6.  Can never have enough CB's.  McDermott seems to get the most out of CB's.  Tre White has become an All-Pro under his tutelage.  Levi Wallace has developed nicely.  Siran Neal and Taron Johnson have both proved they can play ion this league.  Kevin Johnson showed something but is a FA.  Draft a guy they like in the middle rounds and have another guy in the pipeline to develop.

What say you?

My order:

#1A - 4 (WR)

#1B - 3

#3 - OLINE

#4 - OLINE

#5 - WR

#6 - 1  ( I agree we need another young good RB.  BUT this can be found in the mid-late draft.  So, I do not see this as a #1 need.

#7 - 6.

I'm ok w/ special teams players and backup QB.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

1. WR - need someone with a bit of size (6'1 or bigger) who can make some contested catches

2. CB - another high end CB beside White would make this defense unstoppable 

3. DE - need to always be adding pass rushers

4. SLB - need to replace Lorenzo Alexander

5. RT - Could use competition here, although I suspect Ford gets another full year

6. Punter 

Don't really disagree with any of these. I'd like to see Ford moved to guard and sign Conklin in free agency.

I think Gore needs to be replaced by a young rb with power. WR#1 is top of the list.

51 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Don't really disagree with any of these. I'd like to see Ford moved to guard and sign Conklin in free agency.

I think Gore needs to be replaced by a young rb with power. WR#1 is top of the list.

Gore will be replaced by Yeldon who is fine as a backup running back. A year on the shelf should put some pep in his step for next year as he should be extremely fresh. 

I don't think they envision Ford as a Guard. They used a second round pick on him and I think they need to give him another year at Right Tackle. Another year working on his technique and more experience will only help him. 

Spain was this year's Jordan Phillips. We should be able to give him a nice raise and lock up the left side of our line for another season.

WR is in desperate need of talent. This team obviously doesn't rate Robert Foster despite his play as a rookie down the stretch, Duke Williams and his 4.7 wheels are never going to consistently gain separation at this level making everything he gets a contested catch. Brown and Beasley are locked into their roles, but they need someone a heck of a lot better than McKenzie running fake WR sweeps all day. 

Justin Jefferson or Tee Higgins seem like the ideal targets. Both big, athletic guys who can stretch the field and win contested passes. 

Otherwise on offense everything needs to just keep getting better. Josh needs to get better, Singletary needs 16 games as the bell cow, Knox needs another training camp, the receivers need another summer to work with their QB, and the line should keep gelling. 

In all seriousness I'd focus most of our resources on defense this summer. Keep that side of the ball elite, and hope the offense naturally progresses from 19 to around 23 points a game, and walk into the playoffs next year as 12-4 division champs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1. Offensive coordinator

2. Offensive coordinator

3. Offensive coordinator (yes it's that important it's all top 3)

4. WR

5. DE

6. OLB

7. Offensive coordinator

Yes Daboll has to go that badly. Who in the world gives up on the run the entire OT and multiple games? Who takes a 2nd year QB and makes him wait for 3 second routes to develop without giving him screens and slant options for hot reads?

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Big disagree on your priority order.

1. WR

2. DE

3. CB

Then a pretty bog gap of importance and urgency to...

4. Kicker

5. #2 RB

6. OL

IMO

I think OL needs to be really hi on that list 

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

1. A stud, #1 WR is at the top of the list. 

2. RT and move Ford to G

3. Edge Rusher

4. CB

5. A RB to compliment Singletary

Love this 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Gore will be replaced by Yeldon who is fine as a backup running back. A year on the shelf should put some pep in his step for next year as he should be extremely fresh. 

I don't think they envision Ford as a Guard. They used a second round pick on him and I think they need to give him another year at Right Tackle. Another year working on his technique and more experience will only help him. 

Spain was this year's Jordan Phillips. We should be able to give him a nice raise and lock up the left side of our line for another season.

WR is in desperate need of talent. This team obviously doesn't rate Robert Foster despite his play as a rookie down the stretch, Duke Williams and his 4.7 wheels are never going to consistently gain separation at this level making everything he gets a contested catch. Brown and Beasley are locked into their roles, but they need someone a heck of a lot better than McKenzie running fake WR sweeps all day. 

Justin Jefferson or Tee Higgins seem like the ideal targets. Both big, athletic guys who can stretch the field and win contested passes. 

Otherwise on offense everything needs to just keep getting better. Josh needs to get better, Singletary needs 16 games as the bell cow, Knox needs another training camp, the receivers need another summer to work with their QB, and the line should keep gelling. 

In all seriousness I'd focus most of our resources on defense this summer. Keep that side of the ball elite, and hope the offense naturally progresses from 19 to around 23 points a game, and walk into the playoffs next year as 12-4 division champs. 

I think that is a plausible strategy and you are probably right. I am not convinced Ford is the future at RT. I'd rather have a solid FA there who is younger and maybe a bit better than Nsekhe, but I can see them giving Ford another year. Personally, I'd like to bring in a bruiser with some speed at rb. JK Dobbins from Ohio St. will probably go too early for when you would want to invest a pick at rb. I don't know where AJ Dillon at Boston College is projected to be available, but I'd like that kind of back. Maybe Christian Wade will be a fun surprise. Love to get either Jefferson or Higgins.

• Like (+1) 1

OLB or a hybrid safety given that you play so much nickel in the NFL, plus Poyer and Milano are UFAs in '21 hafta figure on losing at least one of the two. 

LG or RT - Ford is a Guard IMO.  Spain is terrible and whatever move is made here it needs to be to get him off the roster. If you get a better RT and kick Ford inside you can potentially move Felicano to LG. FWIW I also believe you don't draft RTs.  You only draft LTs and play them on the right as a luxury - there is so much passing now both tackles are pass pro tackles. 

A bigger WR though I feel like we've asked for that for like a million years  

Backup QB with a similar skill set to Allen so you don't have to change the whole offense if he's out (Marcus Mariota if he's reasonable, which he might be)

1A) OT/G. We need premier guys at this spot. Last premier dude we developed was Glenn. No use of a premier WR if Allen is on his ass, scrambling for his life or *facepalm can't get blockers for a designed run. Better O Line also helps the run game. Key cogs for the rhythm of the O. 

2B) WR. We all know why. No need to elaborate here. 

3) Edge rusher- sacks/pressure was nowhere near consistent

4) Inside DT to shore up the run D. Our D got gashed on more than one occasion up the middle. The Eagles, Pat's and Houstan games are examples.  

5) RB. Not necessarily to compliment Singletary as he should rightfully be the focal point of the O, but a RB who can reliably pass protect in the pocket and be a safety valve reciever a la Fred Jackson. 

14 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Nailed it!  Except I would also add a Sam lb to this list with Zo retiring.  And would bump an outside corner, above RB as a need.  Wallace is serviceable in our cover3/cover 4 scheme, but depth is horrible and would be nice to run more man.

I'm optimistic that Vosean Joseph is a potential answer at LB (paired with a modest vet FA as insurance)