Biggest Bills needs this offseason

Estro

Haushka was on point in the playoff game. I actually thought he would have made the ~55 yard attempt that we earned only to have the refs rob us. Plus you had perfect conditions for a kicker in Houston (still sickens me to think of that bad call + the morse missed block on the Allen sweep play before that would have sprung a huge gain. I can’t get over it and hope I do soon).

now Bojo on the other hand, it makes NO SENSE how he has been our punter for as long as he has. Almost every single game he’s got at least one terrible punt and is the worst punter on the field. 

Edited by BobBelcher

Could back up QB use improving yes, but who is that guy?  First off almost all the teams in the league if it comes down to the backup, the teams in trouble.  For the most part the only teams with decent backups are teams that had a very shaky starter, so the QB who signed figured there's a good chance I will start at some time.  i.e. Fitz, Tannerhill. 

Love him or hate him Allen is the starter in 2020 and has shown enough improvement in one year to justify that.  So a guy like a Dalton likely wouldn't come here unless he can't find any better situations.  Considering the overall lack of good QB's around, think he'll find a better spot.  Yuo want to "upgrade" from Barkley to say a Josh McCown, that's probably doable, but how much of an upgrade is that?

Other items tend to agree with overall though would switch pass rusher and RB in order of priority.  Persoanlly my order would be 3, 4, 1, 5,  2, and 6 

30 minutes ago, Magox said:

WR

Pass rusher ( Judon to replace Lorenzo Alexander) LB

More depth at DE - another pass rusher

If they don't roll the dice with Ford - kick him inside, don't re-sign Spain and get a high quality RT in FA

RB - I don't think it needs to be a bruiser.  I think Singletary is not a scat back, so I'm good with a quality runner.  Doesn't matter what style

More depth at DB

Baltimore is planning to use the franchise tag on Judon if a deal with him can't be reached:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-to-use-franchise-tag-on-matt-judon-if-a-long-term-deal-cant-be-worked-out/

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

this seems about right 

And a kicker who can kick more than 50 yards.

1 minute ago, class_of_2012 said:

Baltimore is planning to use the franchise tag on Judon if a deal with him can't be reached:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-to-use-franchise-tag-on-matt-judon-if-a-long-term-deal-cant-be-worked-out/

And a kicker who can kick more than 50 yards.

I am one that doesn’t draft Kickers. I will find them as UDFAs 

• Like (+1) 1

Supposedly last year WR draft was over rated and this year is the one. That is why the Bills didnt draft one last year...

AJ Brown over 1000yds

McLaurin and Metcalf over 900yds

Samuel over 800

Another handful over 500 yds

In the 2018 draft none even hit 900 and only 1 above 800. In 2017 only one hit 900, 2 hit 800. In 2016 only one above 700. In 2015 only 1 above 800. 

Hopefully we didnt miss a good chance that we still need to fill...

1. Biggest need this off-season is for Josh Allen to take another step. Situational awareness, and ball security at the top of the list.

2. DE. Jerry stepped up in the playoff game and he was recently extended so he’s here to stay. Shaq is a free agent and has no guarantee to return. Trent is solid rotational piece but not at his current cap hit. I’m okay keeping him, but maybe with a restructure where they add a year. I would certainly kick the tires on Ngakoue, or however you spell it. Him on this defense could be scary. Could be a high pick here.

3. WR. John Brown is a stud. He showed his worth, and his ability to run routes and sure hands. I’d like a big, fast receiver who draws a #1 corner away from Brown.

4. OLB. Don’t underestimate what Zo brought to the lb’er room as well as the field. I’d like a veteran here, as the two other starters are still on the young side. Another athlete here can turn this into the best linebacker Corp in the afc.

5. CB. I do believe Levi can do the job. I also think Kevin Johnson is pretty good. That being said, I believe they’re both best suited as the teams #3 cb in nickel and dime packages.

6. OL. Spain is a free agent and no guarantee to return. Feliciano is now on a 1 year contract, and we don’t know where Ford ends up. I could put this at 5 but I think cb is a more important position than guard, which is where I think a hole might end up.

• Like (+1) 1

OLB   - who's going to replace Alexander?  

Edge  - Let Shaq walk.  I'm not even sure i would call him an "Edge" other than setting the edge.  Take a close look at his sacks.  A lot were blown blocking where he just ran right in.  Same with Murphy. 

QB - Bring in Dalton

TE - I'm not sold on the crew we have

RB - Gore's through.  Yeldon not an option. 

WR - One more good one would help round out the receiving corps if we can get a pass catching TE. 

Best Player Available - Hopefully on the OL

Edited by Irv

1) WR

2) DE

3) OL (RT if Ford moves inside or LG if he stays outside. Spain won be re-signed Imo as he will command too much. OL was okay this season, needs to improve though.)

4) CB (both an outside and a slot. Taron gets hurt too much to be relied upon at slot)

5) DT (Phillips isn’t worth the money he’s

going to command. Not very good in the run game. Who knows how effective Harrison is in his return)

6) #2 RB

7) OLB Replacement for Alexander.

8-  K and P could be upgraded but not a necessity.

Edited by MDH

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

1. A stud, #1 WR is at the top of the list. 

2. RT and move Ford to G

3. Edge Rusher

4. CB

5. A RB to compliment Singletary

100% agree except I would flip 4 and 5 here. (But I think Wade will be a dynamic, game changing running back next year.)

If the first three happen, and the Bills get quality players, they take the next step(s) next year, in my opinion.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estro said:

In order of priority:

1. A big bruiser 2nd RB  (I never want to see Frank Gore in a Bills uniform again).  It's going to take me a while getting over the fact this coaching staff was dumb enough to give a guy that can't run 9 touches in a playoff game.  Perhaps one of the most baffling decisions by the Bills coaching staff this season. Totally inexcusable.

2. A backup QB.  If Allen ever goes down for a week or a month, find me a guy who can come in, manage the game and maybe go 2-2 over 4 games.  I think Matt Barkley is not that guy

3.  A pass rusher.  I think our defense was schemed very well this season to create pressure, but from a talent standpoint this team could use a guy who can get home and bother the QB.  Lawson might not be back, Murphy is aging, Hughes is aging.....we need an influx of youth at the pass rushing position

4. A Wide receiver.  I don't care if it's a slot guy or an outside guy, just find me a guy that has really good hands and good YAC ability.  There were too many drops this season, and with Allen's poor accuracy you need to find a guy with great hands who can pluck fastballs away from his frame.

5.  Attempt to upgrade the kicking game.  The punter was not good.  Hauschka doesn't appear to have the leg strength he once had......not terrible, but not great

6.  Can never have enough CB's.  McDermott seems to get the most out of CB's.  Tre White has become an All-Pro under his tutelage.  Levi Wallace has developed nicely.  Siran Neal and Taron Johnson have both proved they can play ion this league.  Kevin Johnson showed something but is a FA.  Draft a guy they like in the middle rounds and have another guy in the pipeline to develop.

What say you?

Agree with most, but another pass catching TE to round out the unit, drop Kroft and Smith, and we’re good.  I believe Knox if he’s smart will work all off season on a jugs machine and even travel to meet Allen and get lots of practice on their own time.

What I gather from reading these posts is that we have all identified areas where the roster can be improved and I can't say that I disagree with any of them.  Prioritizing them is a different story.  We've all watched Beane in action.  He'll go after available free agents and pay what the market dictates as long as he sees the value ( like Morse) to fill his list of needs.  Thereafter for remaining needs, he'll go after the rest in the draft based on the value of the player at the round where he is available.  He won't blindly pick any position just because he has some artificial priority in his head.  If he doesn't have a first round grade on a receiver at pick 22, he'll select another position of need. If no other player in a position of need is graded as a value at pick 22, he will probably try to trade back.  If a good player in a position of need slides in the draft where the value to move up is good, Beane won't hesitate to move up as he has done in the past.  Identifying the needs is easy.  Prioritizing them is a fool's errand.

Biggest need is a #1 WR. Hands down. No doubt.

For anyone saying edge, linebacker or anything on defense...

-we held that offense under 20pts in regulation 

-we had 7 sacks in this game alone.

And we lost.

Edited by Dkollidas

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

1a) WR

1b) Pass Rusher 

3) RT

4) RB

5) CB2

6) Punter

Nailed it!  Except I would also add a Sam lb to this list with Zo retiring.  And would bump an outside corner, above RB as a need.  Wallace is serviceable in our cover3/cover 4 scheme, but depth is horrible and would be nice to run more man.

I like Josh Allen.  I do not think he has plateued and will improve.  Every single other position on offense has room to upgrade meaningfully.   Compare the Ravens RBs to the Bills Rbs.  Or even the Patriots.   Then move on to the Ravens oline compared to ours.   Then compare the Ravens pass catchers.    Then compare OCs.  If you swap Lamar and Josh, then the media would be losing their minds over how Josh is revolutionizing the game.   

Edited by Chaos

Love all the responses! 

How about a big nasty Tight End that can catch the ball? 6'5 260 and runs a 4.6 that can catch the ball and get speration from the defenders. We haven't had a good Tight End on this team in years! 

The jury is still out on Knox and Sweeney. 

I say add a TE to that list. 

• Like (+1) 1