What type of number would Allen have had with better surrounding talent?

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Yes to one and two

I have actually been looking for that play on youtube to try and confirm the personnel out there.

Unless Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, Smith, Duke Williams, Cole Beasley, John Brown, Isaiah Mckenzie, Devin Singletary, and Frank Gore are on the field AND are all blanketed, I honestly see ZERO reason to have Dimarco running that route in that situation and to even THROW to him into DOUBLE COVERAGE at maybe the most crucial part of the game. The decision to BOTH call and execute that throw is unfathomable to me. 

I guess I like caps locks today...

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The draw attempt to Gore at end of half was probably one of the dumbest calls I have ever seen. 

Completely agree - and it wasn't the first time Daboll thought a run with Gore would somehow help move the ball downfield in a critical moment. It was maddening to see it AGAIN all the same. 

And yes, as a big DK Metcalf fan pre-draft, I was bummed we didn't snag him. As someone mentioned above, however, we can't fill every hole at once. I do personally believe that Allen will perform better throwing to taller targets. He seems to struggle making the tight throwing windows to shorter receivers while avoiding the interception. Could be why so many passes were either overthrown or drilled into the ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he started the year off with four sold to very good WRs and a TE or two that “catch the  Fuh king ball” he would have been pushing 4K plus in pass yards with six or more TDs and likely three to four more wins,  throw in a better RB to go with motor and we would still be playing this season, but, that didn’t happen.... oh well... on to next season...

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If DK is in that exact same position, its still a difficult catch.  However, if you are saying with DK's speed and size advantage combined he would have gotten there in a better position, then yes, I do fully agree.  

Yes his better speed allows him the time to turn himself towards the ball,  Duke Williams is around 6"2- 6'3 and does not have freak like skills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is my opinion:  Had we drafted DK Metcalf instead of Ford we would have won 12 games and the division and wouldn't have played Saturday.  There are multiple games where a single play from a WR with size changes the games outcome.  Both Pats games and Ravens game just for starters.  DK is the perfect WR for Allen...his speed and size with Josh's cannon would have paired nicely for a long time.  

Lets say with DK we sill play Houston on Sat:  I think we decisively win that game Saturday with DK on this roster instead of Ford.  

HOWEVER:  As much as I championed to draft DK pre-draft, I can not fault Beane's draft decisions at all.  Cody Ford was arguably the BPA when we got him in the second, most had him projected between 10 and 20 in the first round (although I had mocked him to Bills in the 2nd ?).  I would have taken DK Metcalf there personally, but also do not fault our GM for putting so much emphasis on the trenches with our first 2 picks and our FA signings.  And I think Ford will be a good player for us once moved permanently inside to Guard.  IMO his future is not at RT based on his struggles this year.  

BOTTOM LINE:  You can not fill every hole on a rebuilding team in one offseason.  Beane and his staff did a fantastic job building this roster up the last 2 years so far, and McD has done a great job coaching this young squad.  There is no doubt WR will be a huge priority this offseason, and will be interesting to see if Beane goes after someone like Cooper or Green in free agency, or if he is planning on being aggressive in the draft at WR.  But make no mistake about it, WR's will be added this offseason in either good vets or a highly drafted rookie at the bare minimum.  

...or BOTH. Look what they did with the OLine last offseason. WR is the new OLine (except you don’t need as many bodies). 

Just now, Augie said:

...or BOTH. Look what they did with the OLine last offseason. WR is the new OLine (except you don’t need as many bodies). 

Yeah I agree.  I wont be surprised to see them go after AJ Green on like a 2 or 3 year deal and then still draft a WR in the first to groom behind Green and Brown.  To be honest, I kind of think that is what may happen.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

I'll take ANY first-round talent to help him - Allen is the only #1 on the offense right now, which is insane in today's NFL.

I'd take an elite WR, TE, RB, or even OG/T.  Swap out a guard for a Quinton Nelson (yeah I know he's unique - but maybe someone close) and this team wins another game.  Did you see the OL being embarrassed repeatedly by the Texans' DL late game?

Singletary is arguably good enough at RB - but better with a better OL, and the drop off when Gore came in was pretty stark.

John Brown could become the league's best #2 WR - but expecting him to beat elite CBs as the main threat is a bit too much.  

Knox has potential but he is raw and his hands are still TBD.  He barely played in college.

I think Knox was a great find and will blossom into one of better TE'S in the NFL,  i think you return with Bease/Brown and Duke as our #4 or #5 receiver and sign Green along with a first or second round receiver pick.  We need size because it is not easy to throw over LB'S to receivers who are not tall

Just now, Jobot said:

That ball to Duke in the end zone was a beauty... wish it had been caught.  Don't recall if they still scored a TD on that drive.

No that’s what changed the game. That’s the drive JJ Not got the sack and the ball smooching hit a 10 for the remainder of the night. 

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah I agree.  I wont be surprised to see them go after AJ Green on like a 2 or 3 year deal and then still draft a WR in the first to groom behind Green and Brown.  To be honest, I kind of think that is what may happen.  

That’s what I would expect, also. I’m not sure if it will be Green, but I don’t really know what the deal was with him last year (and part of the year before). He’d have to be healthy and fully on board, obviously, but I see a serious vet AND a 1st or 2nd round pick. The quality and depth this year should allow for some nice options. This is the time of the year I start learning about draft options from the folks here who study this MUCH more than I do. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day after watching Metcalf dominant in his first playoff game i have to wonder how much better would Allen had looked if he had huge 6'4 athletic freak to throw to all season or in his first playoff game.   Sorry Brown and Beasley are not elite talent and are very small WR'S   ,  for me the Bills failed to surround Allen with the proper tools and now you have people questioning if he is a franchise QB.

Get the kid elite players,  i can remember the struggles Jim Kelly had before the Bills signed James Loften.  Big receivers with speed make a difference and those throws that go over the 5"11 or 5"8 players get hauled in. This offseason the high picks and free agent money needs to be used on skilled position offensive players,  look at what KC surrounded Mahomes with and they keep adding more every season.

I dont know....but lets find out this next year

38 minutes ago, Jobot said:

That ball to Duke in the end zone was a beauty... wish it had been caught.  Don't recall if they still scored a TD on that drive.

I ROYALLY screwed up! First game all year I failed to record. I’d love to see it again at my leisure. We had people over, and one thing led to another. 

Anyone know if this game is being shown again? I’d like to record it. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s what I would expect, also. I’m not sure if it will be Green, but I don’t really know what the deal was with him last year (and part of the year before). He’d have to be healthy and fully on board, obviously, but I see a serious vet AND a 1st or 2nd round pick. The quality and depth this year should allow for some nice options. This is the time of the year I start learning about draft options from the folks here who study this MUCH more than I do. 

The one big name I am skeptical Beane will pursue is Cooper.  His season stats always look good, but his consistency has always been poor.  Handful of big games always skew his totals to look pretty good, but if you look week to week he is very up and down.  John Brown for instance was pretty consistent most the season, and had the longest streak of at least 50 yards per game in the NFL.  But Cooper might get you 180 yards one week and come back with 18 yards the next.  

He is still young though, so who knows.  But he is going to command big money, and not sure Beane is going to want to sign him to the money he will be seeking with such a rich draft at WR and Coopers inconsistency and drops issues.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

If Allen had better talent around him the team would have done better, but Allen wasn't ready this year to take the team all the way or for that matter past the AFC Championship.

Next year on the other hand, with better talent I expect Allen will be ready to take this deep into the playoffs.  He made great strides this year and I have no doubt that he will continue to only get better.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The one big name I am skeptical Beane will pursue is Cooper.  His season stats always look good, but his consistency has always been poor.  Handful of big games always skew his totals to look pretty good, but if you look week to week he is very up and down.  John Brown for instance was pretty consistent most the season, and had the longest streak of at least 50 yards per game in the NFL.  But Cooper might get you 180 yards one week and come back with 18 yards the next.  

He is still young though, so who knows.  But he is going to command big money, and not sure Beane is going to want to sign him to the money he will be seeking with such a rich draft at WR and Coopers inconsistency and drops issues.  

I agree with you about Cooper.  His overall numbers look good and his talent is ridiculous.  The problem he has is consistency and he fails to show up against the good teams (similar to Watkins but much better).

I don't think Cooper is someone who Beane will pursue, even though I do believe there will be an air of desperation on Beane's part to bring in quality play making receivers.   

I think they go with a decent WR vet and high 1st/2nd round talent.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I ROYALLY screwed up! First game all year I failed to record. I’d love to see it again at my leisure. We had people over, and one thing led to another. 

Anyone know if this game is being shown again? I’d like to record it. 

Check the NFL network schedule online. Tonight’s replay is TEN vs NE. Tomorrow’s shows teams TBD, but will be updated soon. My DVR never updates -just shows TBD so need to rely on NFLN online for the updated list. Almost certain that replay will be shown. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Check the NFL network schedule online. Tonight’s replay is TEN vs NE. Tomorrow’s shows teams TBD, but will be updated soon. My DVR never updates -just shows TBD so need to rely on NFLN online for the updated list. Almost certain that replay will be shown. 

Thanks, will do. I was too lazy to switch to DTV to look. AT&T dropped NFLN for me (of course, my bill did not go down) and DTV is sketchy as the remote only works when it wants to (kinda like Randy Moss back in the day). Of course, their service is so horrendous I have avoided that battle to date. 

Have I mentioned AT&T and DTV are a family of hot garbage? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If any of these 3 happen we beat the texans 

JB makes the catch inside the 10 yard line to setup 1st and goal 

Duke makes that endzone catch

Knox makes his block 

Allen had his poor moments but he had zero help and his delusional fat ***** OC forced him to throw 46 times, more than any QB in the wild card round including Watson, Brees, and Russ wilson.