The Perfect 1st Half that wasn´t

Antonio

We had a chance to close the first half like we didn´t see all season long, playing complementary football in all 3 faces of the game: Offense moved the ball, Defense close every opportunitie for the Texans, no ST mistakes... then we get the ball back to close the half and...

Let this sink for a minute… when you play like this you get the result we had.

Bills get the ball on their own 4 yard line with 5:45 to go in the 2nd Q.

We were all hoping to get a first down or 2 so we don´t give up field position.

Bills get the first down after 3 runs, 3 yards from Gore and 9 yards from Singletary

Gore comes up again for no gain and then for 2 yards... 

Suddenly Allen hits a really good pass to Duke and we all could feel the energy rising, Bills engines starting to roar. Crowd chanting Duuuuuuke!!

Allen is clicking and hits Beasly, who makes a couple of good moves, for a 21-yard gain. You could feel the crowd going crazy.

Allen starting to feel the game and hits Singletary for 12 more yards, Bills get to the Texans 34 yard line. 

T. Nsekhe FALSE START... Same old Bills????? Wait a minute...

Allen Hits Brown for 7 yards and then Beasly for 6 more. Wonderful!

Bills break the huddle and everybody is thinking, "Allen, please don´t get sack", but Allen is in the “zone” and responded with a beauty to Singeltary who makes a great catch for a first down

Allen and Singletary are getting it done!!!!! Let´s keep it going.

00:30 seconds left on the clock till half time, Bills on the Texans 23 yard line! We have a shot at being 17 - 0 at half time... Comm´on!

Daboll thinking “we have all the momentum in our favor, I´m going for the jugular” hehehe

After the play was over…

Daboll: What you mean Frank didn´t score there?!?!?! A yard?! Only one yard?! But Frank has been on fire this series (3 carries for 5 yards).

Also Daboll: What you mean we had to spike the ball next so we could at least have another play?! Damn Frank…

Daboll again: So you mean to tell me we just wasted 2 plays in a row?! Ohhh that´s stupid… oh well, at least we are not losing.

Stats on that series before Daboll starts panicking:

Allen: 5 – 5 for 64 yards.

Singletary: 2 runs for 9 yards / 2 catches for 15 yards and 3 1st downs.

Beasly: 2 – 2 for 27 yards and 1 1st down.

Duke: 1 – 1 for 15 yards and 1 1st down.

Brown: 1 – 1 for 7 yards.

• Like (+1) 1

Gore should have been shelved as soon as he got his yardage (Denver game?).  The wheels had already fallen off his wagon by then, everyone knew this, but out of respect we keep wheeling him out there. 

Yeldon would have been way better out there.  And don't tell me about fumbles, they have the same fumble rate.

Edited by ScotSHO
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen audibled or killed a play at the line, right? 

I'm guessing (based on nothing specific from the game) that whatever play call Daboll gave Allen had a built in kill that Allen used because he didn't like the coverage. 

I'm guessing Allen did this based off of what he's been told to look for and do. Instead of realizing the situation where he should have hiked it and threw it away quickly if it looked bad, he went back on what he's been taught and did that. 

IF this is what happened, I can't get too upset with him. Playoffs, near the half, there's a lot going on. He'll learn. 

If it was Daboll's play call, then he's a freaking moron. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, elroy16 said:

I'm guessing (based on nothing specific from the game) that whatever play call Daboll gave Allen had a built in kill that Allen used because he didn't like the coverage. 

I'm guessing Allen did this based off of what he's been told to look for and do. Instead of realizing the situation where he should have hiked it and threw it away quickly if it looked bad, he went back on what he's been taught and did that. 

IF this is what happened, I can't get too upset with him. Playoffs, near the half, there's a lot going on. He'll learn. 

Yep. This is exactly what I think. I think Josh made a mental mistake. If you look after he is just wandering around behind the play. It is only when suddenly the sideline starts screaming for the clock that Josh realises. 

The Gore run was not called. Josh checked into it. And the more I look at the body language around the play the more I think he wasn't supposed to. 

I didn't notice it at the time - but I think Josh maybe miscounted our time outs remaining or just presumed "we have a time out it's fine." 

It is actually a fair question should they have taken the time out at that point after the Gore run? It would have saved them a down and they would have had two shots at the endzone. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Allen hit Duke in both hands in the endzone, that should have been a TD period. No excuses.

That was a great throw, with Duke in great position for catch.  Unfortunately, the DB also made a great play pulling Duke's arm down before he could secure the catch.  

In my opinion, Allen, Duke and the defender all did their job on this play.  Sometimes their guys make plays too.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Antonio said:

We had a chance to close the first half like we didn´t see all season long, playing complementary football in all 3 faces of the game: Offense moved the ball, Defense close every opportunitie for the Texans, no ST mistakes... then we get the ball back to close the half and...

Bills get the first down after 3 runs, 3 yards from Gore and 9 yards from Singletary

Suddenly Allen hits a really good pass to Duke and we all could feel the energy rising, Bills engines starting to roar. Crowd chanting Duuuuuuke!!

Allen is clicking and hits Beasly, who makes a couple of good moves, for a 21-yard gain. You could feel the crowd going crazy.

Allen starting to feel the game and hits Singletary for 12 more yards, Bills get to the Texans 34 yard line. 

Bills break the huddle and everybody is thinking, "Allen, please don´t get sack", but Allen is in the “zone” and responded with a beauty to Singeltary who makes a great catch for a first down

00:30 seconds left on the clock till half time, Bills on the Texans 23 yard line! We have a shot at being 17 - 0 at half time... Comm´on!

Daboll thinking “we have all the momentum in our favor, I´m going for the jugular” hehehe

After the play was over…

Daboll: What you mean Frank didn´t score there?!?!?! A yard?! Only one yard?! But Frank has been on fire this series (3 carries for 5 yards).

Also Daboll: What you mean we had to spike the ball next so we could at least have another play?! Damn Frank…

Daboll again: So you mean to tell me we just wasted 2 plays in a row?! Ohhh that´s stupid… oh well, at least we are not losing.

its a great point....my only question is how much of what is called comes from McDermott....don't blow the field goal Brian be safe

14 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

That was a great throw, with Duke in great position for catch.  Unfortunately, the DB also made a great play pulling Duke's arm down before he could secure the catch.  

In my opinion, Allen, Duke and the defender all did their job on this play.  Sometimes their guys make plays too.

I agree the DB made a nice play, but I guess that's what separates the elite WR's from the OK ones.  They make that catch regardless.

1 hour ago, elroy16 said:

I never saw the kill kill signal or gesture. That was the call. 

1 hour ago, Antonio said:

After the play was over…

Horrific play calling/clock management, particularly at the end of the first half, has been a hallmark of this coaching staff as long as it has been here.

The only thing they do worse is their challenges.

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Horrific play calling/clock management, particularly at the end of the first half, has been a hallmark of this coaching staff as long as it has been here.

Just watch what happened at the 1:08 mark. The clock runs down nearly 40 seconds before the next play. Sean's clock management is embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, ScotSHO said:

Gore should have been shelved as soon as he got his yardage (Denver game?).  The wheels had already fallen off his wagon by then, everyone knew this, but out of respect we keep wheeling him out there. 

Yeldon would have been way better out there.  And don't tell me about fumbles, they have the same fumble rate.

I'm gonna tell you about fumbles. Fact is...McDermott lost trust early in Yeldon...and trusted Gore to not fumble.  Productivity be damned! 

42 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Ridiculous.  If you start a drive with 5+ minutes left from your own 4 yard line and a 10 point lead on the road, you'd gladly go into halftime 10-0.  Ending the drive with a FG as the half expired was a huge win.  Sure, a 96 yard drives that kills the rest of the half would be incredible, but that can't possibly be the expectation.  To call it horrific play calling and clock management is the height of absurdity.  The Texans have NFL players on their roster, too.   

Remember that earlier in the game with similar field position, Allen threw back to back passes directly into the hands of defenders that would have been walk in touchdowns.  13-0 at halftime feels a little better than 10-7.  You go into the locker room on the road in the playoffs up 13-0, your coaching staff gets gold stars across the board.

54 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And?  I bet Hopkins would have made that catch.

Hopkins is the one who lost a fumble, right?    The one that gave the Bills a free three points?

Edited by Billl