High Football IQ

Jets or Dolphins will probably win the division next year

The Jets? No. Why you ask? Adam Gase.

The Dolphins? Not yet, unless they kill FA and the draft. I'm thinking more 2021 for them, but they are trending upward. 

10 minutes ago, teef said:

The bills become 5 games worse with a ton of cap space, ample draft picks, and another year together?  This is some stupid ***** right here. 

Another year of tape on a flawed gameday coach & inconstant QB. So you are saying it is impossible that 5 close games that went our way, could go the other way next year?

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Saying Gase is a decent coach shredded any credibility you might have had.

That particular poster has never had any at all.

19 minutes ago, teef said:

Every so often this guy comes out of his hole. Welcome to the offseason. 

Is that the a-hole? 🤔

39 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Not trying to be a debbie downer, but I can easily see the Bills faltering next year and not even being .500 with what looks to be a very difficult schedule and erratic QB that may be a finished product (or close to it). McClappy is also not going to change who he is with his conservative, play not to lose mentality and will learn nothing from sitting on a 16 point lead.

Jets went 6-2 this year after a 1-7 start and I still think Darnold is going to end up being the best QB from the 2018 draft when it's all said and done. In fact many insiders have said this is who the Bills really wanted but had to settle for Allen. Gase is a decent coach and they had a pretty solid roster when healthy before any offseason additions and draft picks, you can argue they probably should have swept the Bills this year anyway.

Also don't rule out the Fish making a lot of noise next year if they have a good offseason and hit on some of their key draft picks. Flores actually looks like a competent Belichik disciple and unlike McClappy was able to go into Foxboro and win with a lesser roster.

Hope I'm wrong but really think the Bills simply weren't as good as their record indicated this year especially on defense which was exposed all year against superior teams/QB's and again in the playoff debacle which will be talked about for years to come.

I agree. In fact, let's take it a step further, Bills might be lucky to win 2 games. Lets' tank for Lawrence and really fix the franchise. The 2nd half on Saturday invalidated 3 years of culture change. It's over

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

The reality is that from year to year, the ups and downs of NFL teams happens very often.....history shows the latter to be absolutely true. SO, you may be right.  Anybody who says they are "confident" that the Bills will be a "better" team next year, vs. this year is just pure, wishful homerism talk.

No, it's not.  It's completely logical - given the trajectory since Beane & McDermott took over, the clear vision Beane has and how he addresses it, the skill with which they have built quality depth, and the future situation in terms of cap space, draft picks and contracts.

It's not some crazy wishful thinking by fans.  The Bills are largely seen as a team that's up & coming, and that could take over the division in the years to come. That's based on factual information, not some whim.

24 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Bold take.....I like it! LOL  If you turn out to be right, everybody painting you as some insane nutball ought to buy you dinner at Ruth Chris!

The reality is that from year to year, the ups and downs of NFL teams happens very often.....history shows the latter to be absolutely true. SO, you may be right.  Anybody who says they are "confident" that the Bills will be a "better" team next year, vs. this year is just pure, wishful homerism talk.

I think you are wrong.....mainly because history does not agree with you.

Beane has been doing a very good job of improving this team year to year......not just in record but improving talent both drafting and bringing in free agents all the while fixing the cap situation

There is NOTHING to show that he would take his foot off the gas in tha regard.

Posted (edited)

Russ Verison reciever from LaSalle will push this team to AFC Championship game next season if they draft him.Drunkel and Ski both veteran scouts gave Russ 98 points out of 100. And hire Duke OC from LaSalle also.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language

yea this is the guy who actually does want the bills to suck just to say i told you so. 

but the bills could certainly take a step back if some offensive issues aren't addressed.  Need a rb and wr and o line.  Need Allen to continue to play that qb ball he played after the pats game only better.  Looking for 30 tds and 4k yards.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Not trying to be a debbie downer, but I can easily see the Bills faltering next year and not even being .500 with what looks to be a very difficult schedule and erratic QB that may be a finished product (or close to it). McClappy is also not going to change who he is with his conservative, play not to lose mentality and will learn nothing from sitting on a 16 point lead.

Jets went 6-2 this year after a 1-7 start and I still think Darnold is going to end up being the best QB from the 2018 draft when it's all said and done. In fact many insiders have said this is who the Bills really wanted but had to settle for Allen. Gase is a decent coach and they had a pretty solid roster when healthy before any offseason additions and draft picks, you can argue they probably should have swept the Bills this year anyway.

Also don't rule out the Fish making a lot of noise next year if they have a good offseason and hit on some of their key draft picks. Flores actually looks like a competent Belichik disciple and unlike McClappy was able to go into Foxboro and win with a lesser roster.

Hope I'm wrong but really think the Bills simply weren't as good as their record indicated this year especially on defense which was exposed all year against superior teams/QB's and again in the playoff debacle which will be talked about for years to come.

I love negative hot takes on here that end with hope I'm wrong, but......

No you don't you rather to be right. 

• Like (+1) 1

Phins are still gonna be in transition, as it sounds like they're gonna bring Fitz back for 2020 while probably drafting their guy but letting him learn under Fitz. Or, they go after Tua who needs time to rehab. They'll have a lot of younger guys playing and it'll take some time for it to all come together.

The Jets... eh... I wouldn't have a lot of faith in Gase. Seems like his teams quit on him whenever they're hit with some adversity. Yeah, 6-2 down the stretch but we can detract from that just as others do with the Bills. They played the same bum teams, beat NYG, Washington, lost to the friggin' Bengals, beat Oakland, beat Pittsburgh who was floundering by that time, and then they get basically a pre-season victory over the Bills to end the season. They're still all over the place. 

OP is probably just sour grapes at the moment. It's a bummer to see them lose when it was right there for 'em. But, now a lot of people are probably dwelling in the doldrums of the off-season and despite going to the playoffs two out of three seasons after not making it for 20, they're finding reasons to make themselves believe the Bills will be bad next season. They forget the fact that Beane has $90 million to work with and that he and McDermott have hit on a very high number of their draft picks. Also, most of this team is set to return next season and now they know what it takes to get to the playoffs and they're gonna be motivated by the Wild Card loss. They're a well-coached team with a group of players who really understand team play where no one player is bigger than the franchise. I think they're on the right track. 

But if you wanna stay in the basement and mope about how awful you think they'll be in 2020... well, no one's stopping you... doesn't seem very fun, but have at it.

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Flying across country takes about 4 hours - it's not a factor in games.  We also fly out to Phoenix, Vegas and SF.

Analytics say otherwise. I also mentioned our 4 west coast travel games in my post. We luck out by playing the crap afc west. lol

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No ... no you don't.

And did your mom give you that name?

Bingo... Mommy makes him little trophies every so often (with this name on it, of course) to put on his shelf in her basement, you know, to make him feel "special"...

• Haha (+1) 1

I cant believe this thread started.  Gase is awful, wildly reported the players hate him, Miami has a good coach and $100 million and multiple high draft picks, but our leadership

and coaching is undeniable, and we also have $90 mil and once the new cap comes out by March it will be over $100 mil as each year the cap has avg increase by $10 mil each year for several years.  We also have 9 draft picks, so no ways Miami or NYJ is going to be ahead of us.

People are just knee jerk reacting to this loss, and we came so close to beating the Ravens, Patriots twice, etc.  Our only legitimate embarrassment was the Philly game and this horrible cave Saturday.  We were outcoached on that day, but we are so much farther ahead of the others especially if Brady retires or goes to another team.

A better, more engaging, and more accurate thread would have been titled: “The AFCE will be a balanced, and competitive division next season”

13 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Another year of tape on a flawed gameday coach & inconstant QB. So you are saying it is impossible that 5 close games that went our way, could go the other way next year?

So you are saying the flawed game day coach and inconsistent QB can’t be better next year and make those 5 close games not close? After 3 and 2 years they are who they are they won’t change anything? 
Glass half full 

Glass half empty

Usually pretty easy to see where fans stand on things. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dubs said:

🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️

If this was an art project it would be called “Disappointment wrapped in diversity.”

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Analytics say otherwise. I also mentioned our 4 west coast travel games in my post. We luck out by playing the crap afc west. lol

Except KC, Denver, and Las Vegas are predicted to be good next year.

39 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

You come off very debbie downer in this one.  Jets still have adam gase at HC which is a bit of miss IMO, and while the dolphins have lots of picks - they have lots of holes too.  

Brady comes back and NE wins it again.  They have quite a few free agents - but brady always goes below market value which helps.  They do have to figure out how to keep van noy and mccourtey.  I think they probably let roberts and collins leave - or re-sign one for cheap.  Keeping Thuney will be tough too.  Draft wise they have their 1st rounder, and a boatload of picks in later rounds (plus likely 2 comp picks in round 3 for trent brown and trey flowers).  

8 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

i'm not someone who says anything is impossible either, but i find it wildly unlikely that this team is going to become half their wins worse.   why would i assume the bills get worse while the jets and dolphins get better?  the jets could barely beat this team with the 2nd and 3rd stringers playing, and miami isn't even sure who their qb will be yet.

the op started this thread on purpose.  he did it as saviorpeterman, (or who ever he was) and does it for a response.  what's disappointing is how many people come in here with support of this nonsense.

Buffalo has ten draft picks and a large amount of cap room which gives them flexibility to improve their team.    The Jets improved later in the year, but are poorly coached and still have more holes.   Flores has Miami playing hard, but they are at clearly in a rebuild.  New England depends on whether Brady is back, but he is finally starting to truly show a decline.  A lot could happen, but Buffalo is arguably a favorite next year to win that division.

The Entire AFC east is going to have similar schedule against the two divisions so all four teams will be equally affected.     If anything, I would see Buffalo doing something like winning the division with a 9-7 record.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

what looks to be a very difficult schedule

Not going to read this thread so I apologize as I am sure it's been said but just in case... Everyone in the division plays almost the same schedule, though

Edited by Gary Busey