Duke Johnson Illegal Block

ngbills

I know it is time to move on. The ridiculous number of bad calls by the refs are still frustrating. No more thinking about it after today...but...

Much discussed have been the reversed kick off TD, Ford illegal block, expired play clock, Allen helmet to helmet hit, Hopkins gift first down.

These were the obvious ones - but take a look here at the 2pt conversion. Johnson is blocking Poyer then moving towards his own end zone blocks Edmunds which is what gets Watson the conversion. Since they are clearing thinking about illegal blocks why no call on Duke Johnson here which actually impacts the play unlike Ford? They dont get that conversion there its 16-6 which becomes 16-9 then 16-16 not 16-19...

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1213846088999936007

Can only imagine how many other plays there are out there. 

Yes smart move but illegal. He was not pushed - watch it and he clearly decides to block Edmunds.

Yes- Johnson is going towards his end zone. Blocking Poyer between the 1 and goal line and goes back to about the 2-3 to block Edmunds. 

How do you apply the letter of the law to Ford when the guy is not nearly in position to make a tackle. But not apply it here when it clearly impacts the result?

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If Dawson Knox throws a legal block on—or even gets in the path of—Cunningham on Josh’s sweep in OT then this wouldn’t matter and we’d be on to KC

Or one of the other 2 Bills who was out in front doing nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

You can over-analyze the refs all you want and it won't matter.  In another game with another crew that wouldn't have been called.  I'm not asking the officials to be perfect just consistent from game to game and week to week.  The call on Ford was weak, especially in a playoff game during overtime.  Heck, on the play they ended up face-to-face and the defender was completely aware of Ford's presence on the play so where's the "blind" on blindside?  I could be wrong but I suspect you can watch every play of every game from this season and watch every game next year and never see an offensive lineman get called for that again.  

But did that call hurt the Bills?  Yes, it did.  Did it cost them the game?  Well maybe but to me I can't say for sure given other plays they left on the field or didn't make. 

25 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Rule requires block with head shoulders or forearm.  None of that on this play. 

Disagree - Hits him with shoulders and back. Actually more shoulder and head contact than Ford. 

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You can over-analyze the refs all you want and it won't matter.  In another game with another crew that wouldn't have been called.  I'm not asking the officials to be perfect just consistent from game to game and week to week.  The call on Ford was weak, especially in a playoff game during overtime.  Heck, on the play they ended up face-to-face and the defender was completely aware of Ford's presence on the play so where's the "blind" on blindside?  I could be wrong but I suspect you can watch every play of every game from this season and watch every game next year and never see an offensive lineman get called for that again.  

But did that call hurt the Bills?  Yes, it did.  Did it cost them the game?  Well maybe but to me I can't say for sure given other plays they left on the field or didn't make. 

That is the frustrating part of it. Most or many of the times refs use common sense. Dont call that penalty and let the Bills try a long FG and win or lose the games themselves. Not make a random call that is rarely called and in game deciding point. 

Block looks legal but Edmunds took a horrible angle to try to get to Watson.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Nice try, he gets blocked into Edmunds.  Fells did hold Trent Murphy, but the refs ignored that.

He sure did.  Refs F'n suck.

TM hold.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

The officiating was corrupt.  Only 4 penalties called against the Texans with 2 of them being intentional delays-of-game to help their punter and another which was negated by a BS penalty on Hughes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Captain Murica said:

FFS, we were up 16-0... Stop blaming the refs. 

It is possible to complain about the horrid officiating without completely blaming them for the loss, you know.  People complaining about the officiating aren't absolving the Bills of blame.  You can blame both.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

FFS, we were up 16-0... Stop blaming the refs. 

Heaven knows this team found ways to lose all on their own. However, there is nothing wrong with discussing calls, or non-calls, made in the game that certainly did have an impact. It is no different than discussing any othe aspect of the game. If you feel it is pointless, then don't participate in the discussion.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't think that this would be called even once out of a thousand times, but after analyzing it like the OP did, he's absolutely correct. The guy definitely did willingly come off the DB and go straight back toward Edmunds to block him.

And the hold on the DE/DT happens on about 90% of edge runs. They call it when they feel like it, I guess. It's the same old problem I've been bitchin about for 30+ years.....that NFL refs have no consistency from one game to the next, or one crew to the next, or sometimes, even in the same game from one half to the next half. LOL

I just watched the YouTube highlight of the game and I rewinded that play multiple times . If Ford was a penalty, that damn sure was one! 

The Texans had ZERO penalties during live play.

ALL of their penalties were pre snap. That is unheard of and I swear the league has it out for the Bills. 

Just like that 2nd half kickoff TD. That was a Buf TD by Rule. Do I agree with the rule? No. But I bet they give that TD to Hou if tables were turned. 

Brutal loss but I still love my squad