What % did Josh improve from yr1 to yr2?

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If he can fix the issue with the deep ball and if we can get him more weapons then there is quite a bit to look forward to.

Id like to see more efficiency as a passer. 

We can say hindsight is 20/20, but a lot of us were pushing for Metcalf last year in the draft.

Wonder what the difference would have been if we drafted him rather than Ford.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If he can fix the issue with the deep ball and if we can get him more weapons then there is quite a bit to look forward to.

It may have been slight, and I don't have any fancy stats to back it up, but I really think over the last month of the season he did show some improvement on the deep ball.  I felt the first part of the season, his deep passes were thrown with the intent, mainly, of not getting picked off.  Most were just absurdly off target...almost gave me flashes of EJ Manuel.  I felt his confidence started growing, around the time of that Dallas game, and more of deep passes were catchable.  And it carried on the rest of the season...unfortunately, because of the issues early on, I don't think they wanted to give him a lot more opportunities.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We can say hindsight is 20/20, but a lot of us were pushing for Metcalf last year in the draft.

Wonder what the difference would have been if we drafted him rather than Ford.

I didn’t see many people mad over the Ford pick. The lines needed to be addressed in the worst way

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Simple question really. Use stats if you're a stat person, use eye test if you're an eye test person, use PFF if you're a moron. What percentage did he improve? 

For me, I think he improved 30-40% as a whole. From his accuracy (not downfield, but he did improve over the course of the season here) to his pocket presence  to his decision making to his overall command of the game.

Still lots of growth available, but it feels to me like those ready to quit on him are ignoring the jump he took this year, and assuming that he won't make another jump next year.

P.S. - He did improve. If your answer is that he didn't, you're a troll and don't belong on this thread. 

You cracked me up with that PFF comment ??? I think your spot on with your 30-40% Another 20% next year with better talent around and hopefully better play calling better  execution by all and he will easily  be a top 10 guy and continuing to climb every year...

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Simple question really. Use stats if you're a stat person, use eye test if you're an eye test person, use PFF if you're a moron. What percentage did he improve? 

For me, I think he improved 30-40% as a whole. From his accuracy (not downfield, but he did improve over the course of the season here) to his pocket presence  to his decision making to his overall command of the game.

Still lots of growth available, but it feels to me like those ready to quit on him are ignoring the jump he took this year, and assuming that he won't make another jump next year.

P.S. - He did improve. If your answer is that he didn't, you're a troll and don't belong on this thread. 

I'd be very happy if he improves half the amount next year as he did this year.  Add some better weapons around him and would be looking good.  He's always going to have some accuracy issues, but the other side is he can make throws that very few others can. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I rounded up from 27.417932804. 

Did you divide by Pi? If so, what flavor?

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

You cracked me up with that PFF comment ???

I'm glad someone appreciated it... I added that on the edit cause I was waiting for someone to roll and and "Achshuallllyy, pff says he regressed" 

Image result for actually meme

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pop gun said:

[1] What does he have to prove, that he's an NFL caliber QB? [2] He is the starter for the foreseeable future, he is the franchise, that's not even debatable. He is one of the better QBs in the league ( only 5 QBs had more TDs ) , [3] there is nothing more to prove, he just needs to keep getting better and hone his craft, IMO the game will slow down even more for him next year.

to answer your post 

[1]That the blunders can be eliminated.

He's got to stop running backwards 15 yards and getting sacked. Those are ROOKIE mistakes I've seen at least twice this season. 

I'm not going to B word about the lateral, or the too often fumbles, others have do that. 

[2] Foreseeable could be shorter than you think IF he can't solve the blunders. 

[3] Uh, yes there is

Other comments the first is a MUST

[4] Throw with more anticipation to be able to beat the blitz.   THAT is his biggest failure thus far.   

[5] Get the deep ball figured out

I LOVE Josh but I'm not goring to be blind to his faults.  

35 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

which one?

The one that stops at 100 or ESPN's fantasy number? 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I didn’t see many people mad over the Ford pick. The lines needed to be addressed in the worst way

For me it felt like Maybin over Orakpo.

I was screaming for Metcalf, and was completely shocked when they didn't take him. Honestly seemed like a no brainier to me. There is no way I'm alone on that.

I still love Beane but I'm still upset about the Ford pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Overall 25-30%. Huge, but not quite enough to say definitively whether he’s a franchise QB or not. Biggest issues are vs blitz, deep ball accuracy and ball security/ taking sacks. He can possibly improve these things, but the jury is out. 

He improved this season. I don't know what kind of number to put on that but it was pretty clear that he got a lot better at the short/intermediate stuff, his pocket presence and movement got a lot better, he didn't seem to have the happy feet as much and he didn't bail on clean pockets as often. He picked his spots when he wanted to take off and run and despite racking up 510 yards, it seems he took less hits than last season as he would slide or get out of bounds. You know, that's one thing I find weird... in Baltimore, everyone loves seeing Lamar run all over the field, "Oh my, what an amazing player!" but almost every other QB with the ability to run, you hear, "Oh my, he took a shot! His coaches don't want him doing that!" I mean, obviously we don't want the guy to get hurt but he's 6'5" 250 and pretty tough. Forget who it was but an analyst tweeted after the game that he couldn't remember a game where he saw a QB endure more contact that Allen did and called him a tough SOB. 

Anyway... he also showed a better understanding of the offense which allowed him to check to different plays at the line and at times call his own plays. I think he did better in reading defenses although he had a few throws nearly picked where there seemed to be a bit of a lapse in what he was reading. 

He cut down on the interceptions. He still struggled with the fumbling. Weird that it keeps happening even when he's holding the ball in the typical ball-carrier fashion. Hopefully that can stop happening so frequently. 

He definitely made some visible strides this season. When I look back on say, EJ, I can only think of one or two things that you could see marked improvement on. I think he was able to change up his throwing motion (he used to aim the ball like he was throwing darts) and probably had a better understanding of the offense. But, he would still take off too soon and struggled against more complex defenses. It was tough to see where he got better... but that wasn't the case with Josh, which is a good sign.

Josh shows the ability to address his flaws and do what he needs to do to correct them. I'm confident he'll show more improvement in year three. And I like Brown and Beasley and Knox and whatnot, but they really need to find some big time playmakers to take the pressure off him a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

He played smarter, i.e. - knowing when to run, when the get out of bounds, when to throw balls away.

His accuracy improved.  I know it wasn't that magical 60%, but he was still better.  Yes ... lots of drops, but all QBs deal with drops.  The biggest problem with the drops, to me, was when/where they happened.  Lots of drive killers and TD preventers.

He showed great poise.

He showed great leadership.

Given the fact that he is surrounded by minimal NFL starting-caliber talent, I think he did a hell of a job this season.

All that said, I think Allen showed significant improvement and I'm certain that he will continue to do the same next year.

Yup, well stated, our offense could stand some upgrades at several positions. Beane will take care of that for us.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

You're comfortable using one metric to judge the entire season? Okay. 

Also, I agree about the fumbling. That's such a fluky problem though I expect it to get cleaned up.

Not even rounding up. This is true analysis. 

I think the part that concerns me about him fumbling is that often times is he is unaware a defender is about to hit him which means he does not take proper precaution to wrap up the ball.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Eyeballin it, I'd say 30%.

Still plenty of room for improvement, and if he can take another 30% step this offseason, we'll be in very good shape.

Yeah I'd agree with that...maybe 35% but I am concerned with his regression on deep balls until the last few weeks of the season.  He has improved tremendously in a lot of other areas so I look forward to seeing more growth in his evolution.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

to answer your post 

[1]That the blunders can be eliminated.

He's got to stop running backwards 15 yards and getting sacked. Those are ROOKIE mistakes I've seen at least twice this season. 

I'm not going to B word about the lateral, or the too often fumbles, others have do that. 

[2] Foreseeable could be shorter than you think IF he can't solve the blunders. 

[3] Uh, yes there is

Other comments the first is a MUST

[4] Throw with more anticipation to be able to beat the blitz.   THAT is his biggest failure thus far.   

[5] Get the deep ball figured out

I LOVE Josh but I'm not goring to be blind to his faults.  

which one?

The one that stops at 100 or ESPN's fantasy number? 

If and when he does all that, it proves what? That he is still one of the better NFL QBs in the league because if he doesn't get better at those things then what, it still proves he is one of the better NFL QBs or does he become a street FA year after next. Stupid argument as there is nothing more for him to prove, he just needs to be better at things!

4 hours ago, Irv said:

Last year 52.8%

This year 58.8%

30-40% is too high.  If he could stop fumbling so much maybe he'd become elite. 

1000 more yards, 10 more TD passes and 3 fewer Interceptions

That is at least 30 or 40% improvement.

Yes he still has a long way to go to get to elite but that is a massive improvement in one year.