Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as Head Coach

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

What a terrible coaching hire.

McCarthy has been an underachieving head coach for years. 

Such a drastic take. His last 2 years in GB were his worst but overall he had a pretty good run there. His success is nearly identical to Sean Payton. Would you consider him a terrible HC?

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Kind of shocked with this one. Had one of three best QB in the league and never built a defense that was dominant. He never had the line or the RB that Dallas has though. This could be a great hire or prove that Rodgers carried McCarthy

Well, he does have the best GM in the history of the universe now.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Such a drastic take. His last 2 years in GB were his worst but overall he had a pretty good run there. His success is nearly identical to Sean Payton. Would you consider him a terrible HC?

Fair enough.

My concern is more based around the notion that I think Payton is a forward thinking coach, whereas McCarthy is married to the west coast offense.

I think Green Bay fans were more than happy to see him leave. Since, they've watched a rookie head coach improve upon what McCarthy did last year, by reestablishing the offensive identity to a run based scheme where Rodgers isn't tasked with carrying the team anymore. 

Also retread coaches rarely work out. My preference would be to opt for the unknown guy with fresh ideas vs the guy who hasn't been successful for a while now who is running an offense from the 1980s. Given their talent level, the Packers seemed to underachieve several years while McCarthy was in charge. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

This may increase the possibility of Daboll to the Browns.  Or it may indicate that the Browns were interested in McCarthy, got scooped by the Cowboys, and remain interested in someone with prior head coaching experience and a presence to take control of that locker room. 

They should talk with Marvin Lewis. He's not flashy but he would help that team alot.

Jim Caldwell should be strongly considered too 

Dude was 125-77 in 13 years in Green Bay.

Who knew he was their coach for 13 years!  I thought it was 7 years at most.

By his record, good hire.  Take into account who is QB was and not so sure.  Don’t believe Dak has it in him to be that good.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don't consider him a good or bad HC, just an average one.  Sort of like Jason Garrett.  He's not going to out-scheme you - if the talent is there, he can install a scripted offense that becomes stale as the game or season progresses.  His defenses have been hit-or-miss.  He probably won't require major personnel adjustments on offense.  He's not the type to stand up to Jerry Jones - he's kind of milquetoast, like Garrett.  He's basically the same coach and personality as Garrett.

32 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Not a bad hire for the Cowboys. I wonder who their DC will be. Hasn’t McCarthy been a 3-4 guy?

He's an offensive guy. I don't think he messes with the defensive scheme at all.

12 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Fair enough.

My concern is more based around the notion that I think Payton is a forward thinking coach, whereas McCarthy is married to the west coast offense.

I think Green Bay fans were more than happy to see him leave. Since, they've watched a rookie head coach improve upon what McCarthy did last year, by reestablishing the offensive identity to a run based scheme where Rodgers isn't tasked with carrying the team anymore. 

Also retread coaches rarely work out. My preference would be to opt for the unknown guy with fresh ideas vs the guy who hasn't been successful for a while now who is running an offense from the 1980s. Given their talent level, the Packers seemed to underachieve several years while McCarthy was in charge. 

After so many years, his relationship with Rodgers and GB seemed to have gone stale. Both sides needed to move on

Happened to Reid in Philly. I don’t think the Chiefs regret hiring him. 

McCarthy said he used his time off to evaluate both himself and his offense. We’ll see what changes he makes

Edited by Bangarang

48 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Why?  They got Dabollocks coming in.

Haha. They are pissed that the Browns are messing around interviewing guys like him while the cowboys lock down the guy they wanted. They wanted to pair him with Elliott Wolfe as GM who is already in Cleveland. Apparently McCarthy said he would only go there if it was aligned with Wolfe.  Not sure what happened but browns either didn’t move quickly enough or McCarthy just preferred Dallas opportunity,

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Haha. They are pissed that the Browns are messing around interviewing guys like him while the cowboys lock down the guy they wanted. They wanted to pair him with Elliott Wolfe as GM who is already in Cleveland. Apparently McCarthy said he would only go there if it was aligned with Wolfe.  Not sure what happened but browns either didn’t move quickly enough or McCarthy just preferred Dallas opportunity,

Dallas, Cleveland, Dallas, Cleveland.  I'll go to Cle....DALLAS!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Kind of shocked with this one. Had one of three best QB in the league and never built a defense that was dominant. He never had the line or the RB that Dallas has though. This could be a great hire or prove that Rodgers carried McCarthy

2nd in points allowed, 5th in yards allowed, and 4th in turnovers forced in 2010; 7th in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed, and 1st in turnovers forced in 2009. 

23 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

He's an offensive guy. I don't think he messes with the defensive scheme at all.

I know he’s an offensive guy but he’s hired DCs who run a 3-4 defense. I wonder if he will do the same in Dallas

I have many friends in Wisconsin who are huge Packers fans.  They have been frustrated with McCarthy for years and were very happy to see him gone.  They felt it took way too long to get rid of him and that he wasted some of the best years of Aaron Rodgers' career.  They believe that McCarthy was carried by having HOF QBs. 

There was also an article about the Packers that came out within the last year that was pretty damning.  It was written by Tyler Dunne, formerly of the Buffalo News.  One of the stories I remember from it was rather than attend practice, he was getting massages.  When players wanted his time, he was a real prick.  I don't know what the truth is, but it's interesting stuff.  Here's a link:  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Could be another disaster in Dallas.