Rapid Reactions Saturday Night vs 20/20 Hindsight Monday Morning

SCBills

Idk why it would change? They didn’t play good enough to beat a mediocre Texans team, plain and simple.  Nothing has changed, the 2nd half gameplan was still dog****. The lack of running the ball with Singletary was inexcusable.

The soft defense on 3rd & 18 was garbage.

I’m failing to see the relevance the other three games has on the Bills performance Saturday, except for apologists who want to sugar coat the reality of the situation, which personally is this Bills team leaves me with a lot more questions than answers moving forward after such a promising regular season.  

JJ Watt or not, overall that defense isn’t very good  and should have been exposed.

However Daboll continues to outthink himself,  and the OL Beane invested so heavily in didn’t really pay off when it mattered most unfortunately, whiffing key blocks, untimely penalties and lackluster pass pro.

McDermott’s in game management still stands just as bad today as it was on Saturday, and the way he threw Josh under the bus without accepting shouldering the majority of himself and his staff was also inexcusable.  “He tried to do too much” Oh you mean like pass 46 ***** times in a game where you had a 16 pointlead midway through the 3rd quarter.  Nice to see common sense prevail with the officiating crew and all (not so much), would be great if some of that common sense had bled over to our coaching staff that day.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

Just as depressed today as I was Saturday and Sunday. 45 years season ticket hol;der and 55 year fan and am tired of waiting until next year. Seems no matter the coaches, no matter the players and no matter the game its just never good enough. I am just dead inside today. So many plays that could have, should have been made and wern't. Damn I'm pi$$*d. No guarantees we will be back next year. Schedule, injuries, bad bounces and more bad football. 

Sorry for all the negativity but its going to take some time to shake this one.

Edited by Stroke 17

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

For all the questionable play calls by Daboll, this one was great and probably should have resulted in victory. A missed block changed the outcome of the game entirely. Everything that happened before it is erased if the Bills players execute the play. Puts the whole thing in perspective, really. 

Yup, those blocks get made and everyone is talking about Allen as a comeback hero and praising Daboll for the call.  There were like 4 plays in the game that lost it for us, SUCH a bummer...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Good post. This game really came down to lack of execution on 3-4 plays. I posted this in another thread:

All Knox has to do is get a shoulder into Cunningham and the next guy with a chance at Allen is getting destroyed by Ford at the 29 yard line.

Allen made his share of mistakes and shoulders his share of the blame; however, he doesn't have the playmakers around him at this point either. In spite of some questionable decisions on his part, some misses on some throws he should have made, some questionable play calling, and some poor blocking/pass protection on critical plays, Allen still put up 372 yards of offense and made some plays that should have resulted in more points had the execution been better by othe players (think Williams in the endzone).

In a game where the Bills made a lot of mistakes, this one is truly the GAME KILLER.

And who knows how banged up this hit made Allen as he took a vicious shot there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

For all the questionable play calls by Daboll, this one was great and probably should have resulted in victory. A missed block changed the outcome of the game entirely. Everything that happened before it is erased if the Bills players execute the play. Puts the whole thing in perspective, really. 

Agreed, and that looks like Knox missed his guy.  He's the only blocker that looked back like "oh geez".

That's also the play where I keep repeating that Allen got hot helmet-to-helmet, but now as I see it, there's really no referee who could have seen that hit clean enough to throw a flag.  That really looked like a nasty hit from the other angle.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I know, Ford took out the one DB at the 29 yard line and there was only one other DB out there. I'm thinking Allen is easily to the 20 - or scores. 

After watching that replay the missed block was actually worse then I remember and at the time I thought it was a huge mistake. 

Also after watching that replay, ANY ONE who blames Allen's play for the loss is an idiot.  Sure he made mistakes out there in his first playoff game but come on.  In the KEY plays that lost us the game:  1) missing this block in OT; 2) Duke not holding on to that TD pass at the end of the 1st half; 3) Allowing the Texans to convert a 3rd & 18 in OT;  4) Milano NOT wrapping up on the sack in OT; 5) Ford being flagged for a "blind side" block in OT by an overly officious jerk, NOT ONE involved Allen's wild lateral or his taking a bad sack. 

And in keeping with the spirit of this thread - I'm confident for next years because every mistake made can be fixed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1