Rapid Reactions Saturday Night vs 20/20 Hindsight Monday Morning

SCBills

Josh Allen is really doing his best to control his natural instinct of desperation. 

The "hero" ball that usually ends up in disaster. 

You can see him really trying to be a poised QB and understand situational football, but this game and how close and high pressure it was anyone could have made mistakes. 

Hell...you saw Drew Brees give up the ball at the end of that game. Didnt even protect the ball with a pass rusher attacking him.

Edited by Ramza86

While I wanted a Bills win in the worst way, the game did sum up the team’s offensive issues. Maybe a win would have given McD, Beane et al a false sense of security. There is much work to be done still, and the vast majority of effort and $$ must go to surround Allen with offensive skill players. The line must also be addressed if they want to achieve championship caliber. Hugely important offseason coming up. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Dr Doom said:

I am more upset about the TD taken away at the start of the second half than I was on that night.

agree especially now that some bozo on sideline came in versus going with ruling on field TD and tossing it to Replay officials since it was a scoring play.   On further review play would have stayed TD since they rules say the guy must do two things and he only did one of them.

Hold on to the ball Josh. Dont put Dimarco on a route ever again. Wrap up when you tackle. Catch passes that hit your hands. Feed the motor.

We got a pretty solid performance. The only things left to question is how do we improve the offense and maintain a solid defense.

Brandon has got some work to do in the draft. I hope the success rate continues.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A few botched plays cost them the game. Namely 3 Bills not blocking ONE Texan on Josh's QB sweep that would've easily put the Bills in FG position to win the game in OT....and then allowing a 3rd and 18 to be converted on a dump off due to the Bills defense falling asleep on where the sticks were. I knew that was the game when it happened.... but the missed 7-8 yard sack on Watson that turned into a 40 or so yard gain topped it off. 

I didnt think the coaching was as conservative as it had been in previous games.... just thought it sucked royally at times. They basically abandon the run in the 2nd half and OT and running Gore with 30 seconds left before halftime deep in Houston territory with 1 TO was ***** stupid, but apparently Allen checked to the run.(Still he shouldn't even be allowed to check to a run play in that situation) 

I think the better QB and better team won. Bills have to improve the WR, RB, and TE position this offseason. WR is an absolute must. I don't ever want to see Lee Smith and DiMarco running deep routes again..... next years really the measuring stick for this regime. Year 3 for Allen/Beane,  a likely much tougher schedule coming off a cake schedule and winning season in which the team barely beat anyone of merit.

Good post. This game really came down to lack of execution on 3-4 plays. I posted this in another thread:

All Knox has to do is get a shoulder into Cunningham and the next guy with a chance at Allen is getting destroyed by Ford at the 29 yard line.

Allen made his share of mistakes and shoulders his share of the blame; however, he doesn't have the playmakers around him at this point either. In spite of some questionable decisions on his part, some misses on some throws he should have made, some questionable play calling, and some poor blocking/pass protection on critical plays, Allen still put up 372 yards of offense and made some plays that should have resulted in more points had the execution been better by othe players (think Williams in the endzone).

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Good post. This game really came down to lack of execution on 3-4 plays. I posted this in another thread:

All Knox has to do is get a shoulder into Cunningham and the next guy with a chance at Allen is getting destroyed by Ford at the 29 yard line.

Allen made his share of mistakes and shoulders his share of the blame; however, he doesn't have the playmakers around him at this point either. In spite of some questionable decisions on his part, some misses on some throws he should have made, some questionable play calling, and some poor blocking/pass protection on critical plays, Allen still put up 372 yards of offense and made some plays that should have resulted in more points had the execution been better by othe players.

I like how he turns back to look. Probably thinking "oops"

• Like (+1) 1

In hindsights, I'm even more pi$$ed at Dabol, for some stupid play calls.

How many run plays with Gore up the middle for 1 or 2 yards, before he abandons it?

What on God's green earth was Dabol thinking lining up DeMarco as a wide out? (boy, that really had the Texans confused).

We need better and more creative offensive play calling next year. Either Dabol wises up, or can him & get somebody better in here.

9 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Allen made his share of mistakes and shoulders his share of the blame; however, he doesn't have the playmakers around him at this point either. In spite of some questionable decisions on his part, some misses on some throws he should have made, some questionable play calling, and some poor blocking/pass protection on critical plays, Allen still put up 372 yards of offense and made some plays that should have resulted in more points had the execution been better by othe players (think Williams in the endzone).

Thanks for this clip...I'm even more depressed.  Knox makes this block and JA is at least down to the 30.  UGH!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ned Flanders said:

Thanks for this clip...I'm even more depressed.  Knox makes this block and JA is at least down to the 30.  UGH!

I know, Ford took out the one DB at the 29 yard line and there was only one other DB out there. I'm thinking Allen is easily to the 20 - or scores. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Disappointing but I am also happy

with how the Bills did this year.  I’ve seen a lot of nay-sayers talk about us being happy with “participation trophies”.  The Bengals earned participation trophies.  The Bills did more than that.  They won 10 games for the first time in 20

years and made the playoffs which has been rare of course in the 2000s.  I certainly hope this is a building block to better years to come but given what the Bills have been through since the turn of the century I’d say a 10-6 season with a close playoff loss to a pretty good team is a successful season.

57 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Look at this season's 8-8 Bears team...12-4 a year before with a relatively soft schedule and a QB on the rise (sound familiar?).  

The 2020 schedule is a death march compared to this past season.  Four trips out west and another to Nashville.  Long way to go until September, but going 10-6 next year will be a bit more difficult.

Yeah, but the whole division has largely the same schedule.  Wild card spots are for losers, need to win the division and 2020 should be the year.

We lost inspite of Allen having such a good game.  He was mostly accurate, made good decisions, was a playmaker.

struggled to protect him at times

don't have someone who will make contested catches downfield, such as the one Hopkins made

Hard to play against DeShaun Watson when he's playing like this. Dude was like this in college, and now he's doing it in the NFL. Hats off to him.

#1 offseason priority must be to get this from a 20 point offense to a 30 point offense. Need at least 1 more play maker on the perimeter, need better play from the RT.  Sustain the defense, add that, and you're looking at a team that can challenge BMore and KC for a top 2 seed

17 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Disappointing but I am also happy

with how the Bills did this year.  I’ve seen a lot of nay-sayers talk about us being happy with “participation trophies”.  The Bengals earned participation trophies.  The Bills did more than that.  They won 10 games for the first time in 20

years and made the playoffs which has been rare of course in the 2000s.  I certainly hope this is a building block to better years to come but given what the Bills have been through since the turn of the century I’d say a 10-6 season with a close playoff loss to a pretty good team is a successful season.

I'm feeling the same way. There's also a lot of talk about the loss being "Billsy" and/or the "same old Bills." There were some very Billsy moments to be sure, but two things about the game and one about the last stretch of the season stand out as being non-Billsy and help me feel that the team is headed in the right direction.

1) The D did a tremendous job on the 4th down stop just at the end of regulation. Huge gut-check moment there to get us the ball back.

2) Coming back to tie the game at 19 after the blow-up sacks on the previous series. Everyone thought the game was over, and the Bills had been on the ropes doing nothing for almost the entire half. I'm really impressed that they got up off the mat, fought back to FG position, and made the kick. That in itself was very "non-Billsy"

3) Stepping up in the late part of the schedule, taking care of Miami and Denver, and then the two primetime wins at Dallas and Pittsburgh. It has literally been decades since a Bills team has come through when needed in the later part of the season. Add to that the way they played on the road this year, and the fact that there were no blowout losses.

I hope they can build on these elements and grow forward from here...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

saturday was the first time in a very long time that a bills loss legit upset me.  i'm over it today.

this is where I am.

if there is any lingering bitterness, it’s the dumb luck fluke of Watson staying upright on that sandwich hit at the end. Because two guys sandwiched him at the same time, he was able to stay upright. It was a great play by our D and a lucky play by him, and so I am bitter about that. 

I’m otherwise over the missed opportunities and officiating snafus. 

41 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Yeah... I didn't feel so bad... Then I see this clip and wow.  The play was there... all Knox has to do is block the one guy right in front of him and we, at the very least, have a FG attmept.

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

Look at this season's 8-8 Bears team...12-4 a year before with a relatively soft schedule and a QB on the rise (sound familiar?).  

The 2020 schedule is a death march compared to this past season.  Four trips out west and another to Nashville.  Long way to go until September, but going 10-6 next year will be a bit more difficult.

A wild card will be a lot more difficult to obtain out of the AFCE next year.

Good thing we'll just be winning the AFCE outright.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

this is where I am.

if there is any lingering bitterness, it’s the dumb luck fluke of Watson staying upright on that sandwich hit at the end. Because two guys sandwiched him at the same time, he was able to stay upright. It was a great play by our D and a lucky play by him, and so I am bitter about that. 

I’m otherwise over the missed opportunities and officiating snafus. 

a few missed tackles and a few missed blocks just killed the end of that game.  billsy losses haven't been too much of a problem in recent years, but to have one happen in a playoff game that was there for the taking was hard.  

that being said, i do think this team comes back smarter and stronger as a result.

• Like (+1) 1

Why the heck can we not do better against arguably the worst secondary in the NFL?!??? Josh Allen throws 46 times against them and barely breaks 250 yards passing. We only get one TD on a trick play on our first drive, disappointing to say the least. Many of those CB's cant crack a starting lineup in any other team. There has to be some blame on playcalling, motor is having a great day but with the lead we pretty much abandon the Run, definitely dont understand this. I hope Allen progresses but honestly till he starts throwing with anticipation then he is barely an upgrade over Tyrod. I want to be a fan but until he is not one of the worst pct of a starting qb and raises is QB Rating we will continue to have this discussion. I hope he makes a considerable jump next year at being a QB or i may be beating the table for a new QB. Love the kid but needs to improve.

Edited by falgobofu