Rapid Reactions Saturday Night vs 20/20 Hindsight Monday Morning

SCBills

I know we all had rapid reactions Saturday Night in regards to the offense, the defense, coaching and Josh Allen.  

It’s now Monday Morning.  All the WC Weekend Games have finished.  

With hindsight being 20/20, do you feel the same today, as you did immediately following the game?

I imagine many will be like me and have a very different view of Josh Allen and the defense today, after having watched the other games play out.  

• Like (+1) 1

It was a great playoff game and a tough loss.  Best game of weekend from entertainment perspective IMO.  Change anyone of about 10 things and Bills win-- of course Houston might say the same if we won because the game was that close.  I'll try to take the what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger view.  Maybe this stinging loss is what they needed to become a championship team down the road. You learn in adversity, not success.  They were not good enough to win it all this year anyway IMO.  So maybe this is short term extreme pain for long term gain for both the team and us fans. At least that's how I see it 20/20.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I know we all had rapid reactions Saturday Night in regards to the offense, the defense, coaching and Josh Allen.  

With hindsight being 20/20, do you feel the same today, as you did immediately following the game?

I imagine many will be like me and have a very different view of Josh Allen and the defense today, after having watched the other games play out.  

My rapid reaction was that Daboll sucks and I couldn't make sense of how they handled the end of regulation and OT with the play calls.

In hindsight, now I know that Daboll REALLY sucks and he should be fired.  Unless it's McDermott making Daboll call stupid plays after we get leads ... in which case, HE should be fired.

Either way ... whomever is responsible for the play calling in the 2nd half/OT, should be fired. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Doom said:

I am more upset about the TD taken away at the start of the second half than I was on that night.

Here here!

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I feel about the same honestly, but more heated over the TD/Safety screw job on the 2nd half kickoff from the ref.

The NFL needs to fix things fast and stop biting the hand that feeds them. I'm talking league wide. Greed will eventually be their collapse if they continue to stay the course. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t care so much about the TD being taken away, but I dislike the 15 flag on Ford even more now.  Common sense prevailed on the kickoff at the start of the second half, and it should have on that play, too. 

I was sold on Josh before the game, and I’m even more sold on him now.  The kid could have played better, but he always was going to take time given his relative inexperience in college.  

I wish we went for the throat in the second half.  But maybe that’s not on Daboll.  And, in any event, if one of the three blockers on the QB sweep on which Allen was creamed in overtime picks up the DB, he’s going for 10 yards and we’re going to win the game. 

Finally, I wondered whether we might be a major regression candidate for next year.  Perhaps we are.  But we lost nearly as many close games as we won, which bodes well for us.  And the offense has major upside if the right tweaks are made in the offseason.  I am much more optimistic about next year than I was on Saturday, and I can’t wait for training camp. 

• Like (+1) 7

I just don't see how the Texans could have no in game penalties the ENTIRE 2ND HALF. Our guys were getting held rushing the passer, at least 3 blatant I saw where the guy's jersey was clearly clenched and twisted. The non-call of the delay of game on 3rd and 18. On the opposite side of things the opportune penalties in favor of the Texans when we had what could have been important positive plays in the game. This stuff is getting BEYOND old. Daboll not running Singletary much in the 2nd half when the kid was doing nothing, but picking up 4yds+ a carry. I still think Duke should have come down with the ball in the endzone just before halftime as well. Even with that if our defense makes the stop on 3rd and 18, still trying to wrap my brain around that one, we could have won that game. My hat still goes off to Watson for coming up big time in the clutch. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3

On the positive side:

*  This team is going in the right direction and making progress.  I think this off season is the time to be bold in improving the Offense but you can't deny that earning a spot in the playoffs and not backing in and playing a tough game at Houston leaves us reason to be optimistic going forward.

*  Josh Allen is our franchise QB. Yes he still has much to improve in his game but he's shown me everything he needs to for me to be confident he will make those improvements.  In the context of how QB's played this weekend and how young QB's fared in their FIRST playoff games, Allen acquitted himself well.  That doesn't mean he didn't make mistakes - he did.  But he also made plays - some of which were spectacular and overall he played well enough that we could have won this game had even one other thing broke the Bills way. 

*  Singleterry is going to be a star.  Other then Allen, our rookie RB is the only other true game changing skill player on the field.  if the Bills can get one more game changing skill player to pair with Singleterry and our two stalwart & dependable WR's in Brown & Beasley and we'll have a solid offense.

*  NFL officiating is trash.  I haven't changed my opinion on that in hindsight.  And it's no comfort that trashy NFL officiating is not a conspiracy but rather just wide spread incompetence.  Did you see how Clowney knocked out a starting QB with a nasty helmet to helmet head shot?  NO penalty and no ejection of Clowney but the Eagles lost their QB for the game.  The problem is that over a long NFL season bad officiating tends to even out and you benefit as much as you're screwed over.  But in the playoffs this is no longer true and bad officiating can and does lose teams games.  It's not an excuse to say had the officials done their jobs on Saturday we would be getting ready to play KC this weekend.  And that's a fact.

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

In some ways I am over it - in others I am more concerned than I was before.

I am over the fact that the Bills just weren't a good enough team - especially offensively - especially at Quarterback (even though I still like Allen and am optimistic about his future potential).

I am concerned about the fact that the Bills dominated the first half and even into the 3rd quarter - only to curl up and let the other team regain their composure like we did to Houston in the comeback game.    I still think McDermott is afraid to throw a knockout punch.   He hopes we accidentally land a knockout punch instead of actually trying to.  Situational awareness in the second half and late in the game sucked by coaching staff and offensive players.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Outside of punting from the Texans 40 on 4th and 5 how exactly did they not go for the throat in the 2nd half? 

I thought the playcalling should've been a bit more balanced. The running game got away from them. Allen ended up throwing the ball 47 times..... 

Fans typically confuse execution failures for play calling failures.  

That said, John Brown taps his toes, Duke makes the end zone catch, and we get better blocking on that QB sweep, and we are talking about the Bills' blow out and how happy we were that Dabol was so aggressive.  A little more balance would have helped, but play calling is not the reason we lost this game. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Finally, I wondered whether we might be a major regression candidate for next year.  Perhaps we are. 

Look at this season's 8-8 Bears team...12-4 a year before with a relatively soft schedule and a QB on the rise (sound familiar?).  

The 2020 schedule is a death march compared to this past season.  Four trips out west and another to Nashville.  Long way to go until September, but going 10-6 next year will be a bit more difficult.

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

The non-call of the delay of game on 3rd and 18. 

I know all reviews in OT come from the booth, but a Bills timeout here could have had the zebras upstairs look at this play a little more closely.  Delay of game can be reviewed. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Mostly agree.... even after last off seasons additions offensively, they still need better playmakers. Please don’t neglect the importance of the WR position. They need a real good option opposite Brown. 

I want a WR more than I want a pass rusher.  Luckily its a good draft to pick up a WR. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Look at this season's 8-8 Bears team...12-4 a year before with a relatively soft schedule and a QB on the rise (sound familiar?).  

The 2020 schedule is a death march compared to this past season.  Four trips out west and another to Nashville.  Long way to go until September, but going 10-6 next year will be a bit more difficult.

I think 10-6 wins the division next year. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I went over the schedule next season with a few friends. And we thought 9-7 or 10-6 is probable

Line of thinking:

3-3 afc east

3-1 afc west

2-2 nfc west

1-1 Pitt and Tennessee

Gets you to 9-7, a lot of the tougher games next season are at home which helps not to mention that maybe just maybe brady leaves new england and they take a step back

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad