The Making of the 2020 Roster

jwhit34

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

No, I'm saying the Saints would be nuts to let him go.

Yeah, I’m not sure that I would do it but I think they will. If they can get that package it’s much better than a computer pick a year later. There has been a lot of talk around here about him being a different player without Ingram. He did not have a very good year. This would feel like an early 2000’s Patriots type of move but don’t be surprised (at all) if Kamara is on a different team next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Spending 16 million on shaq and J phillips would not be a smart route imo.  Id rather pay yannick ngakoue 16-18 million and get a true impact player.  Jordan phillips is a good football player so is shaq.  But ill take an elite talent over the 2 of them and then replace Jordan phillips with a cheap draft pick.  

D tackle will be fine with Harrison, ed, star, and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

2 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

• ERFA
    • I think they hold all the cards with them, can sign all tomodest deals. Wallace will be interesting, I'd keep him but wonder how much he will cost. 

Thanks for taking the time putting this post together. I wanted to clarify some stuff on ERFA for you because it seemed like you weren’t really clear on the concept.

It happens when a player reaches the end of their contract with less than 3 accrued seasons. The player may only resign with their original team at the league minimum tender (or more if the team chooses to offer more). They’re not allowed to negotiate with other teams, they can only sign with us as long as we tender them a contract. 

Wallace, Foster and Croom will all be back under contact and most likely will be making the league minimum. 

Offense:

I'm letting Spain walk and moving Ford inside:

Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford/FA-Trade

I think I am looking to trade a mid round pick or use some FA money on a  for a abover-average to great RT.  I would explore trading for Trent Williams and moving him to the right of our line and we might have the best RT in the league.  It would be a dramatic difference for the amount of pressure we allow from the right side of the line.  Williams would be ideal but I doubt I or the Bills would be willing to meet the Skins asking price.  Either way we have to improve the offensive line and I think moving Ford in and looking for a vet tackle would be a good idea.

You go into the off-season with your receivers:

1.Brown 2. Beasley 3. Williams 4. McKenzie

I am of two minds here.  I am all for attempting to sign A.J. Green.  I would offer a 1 year $15 million dollar deal with a team option 2nd year at $20 million.  He gets 15 this year and if he performs the Bills will have to pay him 20 or he gets to hit free agency coming off a good season.  I think that is a deal that would work for both sides. 

Whether or not you can land Green, you still have to focus on reciever in the draft.  I would still go reciever early with Green on the roster, maybe even round 1 if the right player is there.  We need a young stud receiver to go with Josh and none of Beasley, Brown or Green are young in NFL terms.  If we are unable to land Green or another quality free agent, the draft becomes all that more important.  I would not be in favor of giving huge money to a guy like Amari Cooper.  If we don't get a 1-2 year deal on Green I would focus on possibly moving up for Lamb or Jeudy depending on how the top ten falls in the draft.  If we do not end up siging a significant free agent reciever I would have no problem with the Bills using two of their first 3 picks on reciever, even 1 and 2.  

We definitely need another running back and while we would all love Henry I don't know if that is possible.  I would take a less expensive Fournette on a 2-3 year deal though.  You don't have to go crazy at RB, just have to find a nice compliment for Singletary.  Drafting a back is another option here as it is a good running back draft.  

We need to impove the tight end position as well.  Hunter Henry is a free agent.  That would give defenses something to think about with him and Knox on the field.  That might be unrealistic but we need to find a do it all vet at tight end that is a tier or two above Kroft.  Knox is a good rookie but is still raw and we can't rely on him as the #1 going into next season.  I think finding a very-good to great tight end would improve this offense dramatically.

Defense:

You don't have to do much for the defense but these are my thoughts:

Jordan Phillips I think is gone.  He should get a huge deal and we have invested high draft picks in Oliver and Harrison Phillips, which have seemed to pan out.  I think they will find a good vet to add to the rotation but Oliver and Harrison Phillips I think are your starters going into next season.

I think we should re-sign Shaq Lawson.  He is a good all around player.  You may not be an elite rusher but he is better than average to good at everything and you don't get a lot of those players in the league anymore.  IMO he is a more athletic Phil Hansen who makes more big plays.  I would like to re-sign him and still go after Ngakoue.  Those two and Hughes are rotating.  Maybe Hughes ends up a situataional rusher but he was dominant against Houston and might have another good year in him.

At linebacker I am trying to make one move.  I am exploring the cost of a trade for Luke Kuechly.  If it is reasonable I make that move.  I realize the concussion risk but I think adding him to the defense makes our defens elite.  He plays the Alexander role and when the Bills are in Nickel, he replaces Milano.  He knows the defense and I think we could roll him right in there and it could take this defense to another level.

I would love to add another corner in free agency as well.  See if you can get a vet on a one year deal to help solidify that position.  

This is how I am looking at the off-season.  I realize that would be a lot of big moves but we have a window right now.  This may be the biggest off-season in Bills history and if we make the right moves, we could be an absolute powerhouse next season.  Be aggressive!  When you consider all factors, cap, rookie contracts, age of team, continuity in defense, etc, the next 2-3 seasons might be the best chance we have in our lifetimes of the Bills winning the Super Bowl.  We have to be aggressive and go for it.

Edited by J-GunJoshAllen17
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What about Derrick Henry?  He's a FA or is the assumption he'll never hit the market?  Would think he's be an even better compliment to Singletary.

After seeing him run all over New England I don't see why Tennessee wouldn't keep him. 

Edited by Motor26

We got the money and we wanna win now.

I'd give Green a longer deal with more guaranteed than other teams to secure him. We can afford it, and he's had an entire year to get his body healed. 

I don't like Cooper. He seems soft and a bit of a diva. His numbers away from home were not good. Not a fan of players like that.

AJ Green gives you easy throws that will result in big plays. Easily makes this offense PPG go up at least 3 PPG.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What about Derrick Henry?  He's a FA or is the assumption he'll never hit the market?  Would think he's be an even better compliment to Singletary.

I just think that the Bills need more explosion. Henry is a really good back (and doubt he goes anywhere). He’s just similar to Motor. Kamara is more like Sproles. Kamara is better as a “weapon” than an RB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I was talking about this yesterday... I would honestly be okay with giving Henry a deal akin to Gurley or Zeke. 

I know it sounds crazy but he’s a size/speed freak that can take over a game. Imagine the contrast of trying to tackle Henry and then Singletary comes out and trying to tackle him and vice versa. Yeldon is still under contract and becomes our passing catching back and suddenly we have a very diverse group of RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I was talking about this yesterday... I would honestly be okay with giving Henry a deal akin to Gurley or Zeke. 

I know it sounds crazy but he’s a size/speed freak that can take over a game. Imagine the contrast of trying to tackle Henry and then Singletary comes out and trying to tackle him and vice versa. Yeldon is still under contract and becomes our passing catching back and suddenly we have a very diverse group of RB. 

I don't see the Bills wanting to lock themselves into Henry for what he's going to want. Jordan Howard could be had for cheap, could draft Najee Harris in the 3rd/4th. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just think that the Bills need more explosion. Henry is a really good back (and doubt he goes anywhere). He’s just similar to Motor. Kamara is more like Sproles. Kamara is better as a “weapon” than an RB.

In what ways are Singletary and Henry similar? 

Henry is 6’3” 238 and ran a 4.5 40 

Motor is 5’7” 203 and ran a 4.66 40

Henry will run right through you and can also run right past you with breakaway speed. Motor is patient and uses his small size and unique cutting ability to churn out consistent 4-5 yard gains and the occasional 10-12 yard run. He isn’t a home run threat nor is he a bruiser. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

I think we should re-sign Shaq Lawson.  He is a good all around player.  You may not be an elite rusher but he is better than average to good at everything and you don't get a lot of those players in the league anymore.  IMO he is a more athletic Phil Hansen who makes more big plays.  I would like to re-sign him and still go after Ngakoue.  Those two and Hughes are rotating.  Maybe Hughes ends up a situataional rusher but he was dominant against Houston and might have another good year in him.

At linebacker I am trying to make one move.  I am exploring the cost of a trade for Luke Kuechly.  If it is reasonable I make that move.  I realize the concussion risk but I think adding him to the defense makes our defens elite.  He plays the Alexander role and when the Bills are in Nickel, he replaces Milano.  He knows the defense and I think we could roll him right in there and it could take this defense to another level.

While I 100% agree on shaq Carolina is never letting Luke leave. 
I joked with my nephew who is a huge panther fan about trading Kroft if Olsen retires and our first and a 5th for Kuechly and he was all for it. But they can’t trade that guy. Him and McCaffrey are the faces of their franchise. I would be all for that move as it frees Edmunds up to be a monster jack of all trades sort of player. I just can’t see Carolina hiring a new coach and then trading the key to their defense away. 

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

In what ways are Singletary and Henry similar? 

Henry is 6’3” 238 and ran a 4.5 40 

Motor is 5’7” 203 and ran a 4.66 40

Henry will run right through you and can also run right past you with breakaway speed. Motor is patient and uses his small size and unique cutting ability to churn out consistent 4-5 yard gains and the occasional 10-12 yard run. He isn’t a home run threat nor is he a bruiser. 

As much punishment as Henry deals to a defense motor may turn into a home run threat in the 4th quarter lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Motor26 said:

I don't see the Bills wanting to lock themselves into Henry for what he's going to want. Jordan Howard could be had for cheap, could draft Najee Harris in the 3rd/4th. 

I mentioned it before but we’re going to be in the Kareem Hunt market.

John Dorsey was his biggest advocate in Cleveland, with him gone Kareem doesn’t expect them to match an offer he gets. 

We were interested in signing him last off-season. He actually wants to come to Buffalo. It will either be us or Philadelphia... he a had deal in place with them and was looking at houses there before the Browns jumped in.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have a thought that I want to throw out and figured this is a good place to start. Trade picks 22 & 54 for picks 24 and Kamara. The Bills get some explosiveness and can still take the WR at 24. The Saints get the ammo to make a move up in the draft for the eventual successor to Brees. The value for New Orleans is the equivalent of pick 50 and I don’t think they are going to pay Kamara. 

And then the Bills have to pay him?  Too many holes on the team to tie up big $ on a RB.

Just draft a bruiser to compliment DS.

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

I mentioned it before but we’re going to be in the Kareem Hunt market.

John Dorsey was his biggest advocate in Cleveland, with him gone Kareem doesn’t expect them to match an offer he gets. 

We were interested in signing him last off-season. He actually wants to come to Buffalo. It will either be us or Philadelphia... he a had deal in place with them and was looking at houses there before the Browns jumped in.

Hunt would be a good get. Not sure if he's a McBeane guy given his history.

This is just a wild hunch, but I've been thinking for a while that AJ Green is their target. I think Green probably could have played at the end of the season, but made a business decision based upon how terrible the Bengals were (and frankly, it was in the Bengals interest by week 7 or so to do their damnedest to land the first overall pick; Green's presence may have screwed that up). I have to assume he's healthy, and assuming I'm right, he remains one of the best receivers in the NFL. He is a true difference maker. 

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

And then the Bills have to pay him?  Too many holes on the team to tie up big $ on a RB.

Just draft a bruiser to compliment DS.

Not sure a bruiser is the best complement to Singletary. Gore remains a decent bruiser, but was too easily stoned after teams figured out the Bills run game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Motor26 said:

Hunt would be a good get. Not sure if he's a McBeane guy given his history.

I think so too. 

I was wary about that as well... figured that we would avoid him completely. 

Apparently that wasn’t the case this past off-season - we went after him.  Every team was pretty quiet when it came to Kareem and then all of a sudden the Browns swooped in and media made it seem like that was the only team interested. That wasn’t the case... he had a deal in place with Philadelphia. 

They have a “hunch” we will be interested again this off-season. 

24 minutes ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Offense:

I'm letting Spain walk and moving Ford inside:

Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford/FA-Trade

I think I am looking to trade a mid round pick or use some FA money on a  for a abover-average to great RT.  I would explore trading for Trent Williams and moving him to the right of our line and we might have the best RT in the league.  It would be a dramatic difference for the amount of pressure we allow from the right side of the line.  Williams would be ideal but I doubt I or the Bills would be willing to meet the Skins asking price.  Either way we have to improve the offensive line and I think moving Ford in and looking for a vet tackle would be a good idea.

You go into the off-season with your receivers:

1.Brown 2. Beasley 3. Williams 4. McKenzie

I am of two minds here.  I am all for attempting to sign A.J. Green.  I would offer a 1 year $15 million dollar deal with a team option 2nd year at $20 million.  He gets 15 this year and if he performs the Bills will have to pay him 20 or he gets to hit free agency coming off a good season.  I think that is a deal that would work for both sides. 

Whether or not you can land Green, you still have to focus on reciever in the draft.  I would still go reciever early with Green on the roster, maybe even round 1 if the right player is there.  We need a young stud receiver to go with Josh and none of Beasley, Brown or Green are young in NFL terms.  If we are unable to land Green or another quality free agent, the draft becomes all that more important.  I would not be in favor of giving huge money to a guy like Amari Cooper.  If we don't get a 1-2 year deal on Green I would focus on possibly moving up for Lamb or Jeudy depending on how the top ten falls in the draft.  If we do not end up siging a significant free agent reciever I would have no problem with the Bills using two of their first 3 picks on reciever, even 1 and 2.  

We definitely need another running back and while we would all love Henry I don't know if that is possible.  I would take a less expensive Fournette on a 2-3 year deal though.  You don't have to go crazy at RB, just have to find a nice compliment for Singletary.  Drafting a back is another option here as it is a good running back draft.  

We need to impove the tight end position as well.  Hunter Henry is a free agent.  That would give defenses something to think about with him and Knox on the field.  That might be unrealistic but we need to find a do it all vet at tight end that is a tier or two above Kroft.  Knox is a good rookie but is still raw and we can't rely on him as the #1 going into next season.  I think finding a very-good to great tight end would improve this offense dramatically.

Defense:

You don't have to do much for the defense but these are my thoughts:

Jordan Phillips I think is gone.  He should get a huge deal and we have invested high draft picks in Oliver and Harrison Phillips, which have seemed to pan out.  I think they will find a good vet to add to the rotation but Oliver and Harrison Phillips I think are your starters going into next season.

I would love to add another corner in free agency as well.  See if you can get a vet on a one year deal to help solidify that position.  

This is how I am looking at the off-season.  I realize that would be a lot of big moves but we have a window right now.  This may be the biggest off-season in Bills history and if we make the right moves, we could be an absolute powerhouse next season.  Be aggressive!  When you consider all factors, cap, rookie contracts, age of team, continuity in defense, etc, the next 2-3 seasons might be the best chance we have in our lifetimes of the Bills winning the Super Bowl.  We have to be aggressive and go for it.

This sir is a masterpiece. It all hinges on getting Trent Williams. Even with a new coach he hates the org so I’d take on his big contract if he’s definitely leaving. Idc what other directions we spend on, stock up that o line!