Let's get AJ Green

12 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think some folks would be surprised to learn how close he came to becoming a Bill in October 

You're the second reputable poster that has said this. I'm convinced the Bills will sign Green this offseason and that Green wants to be here. Putting on my conspiracy hat I think he could have played through his injury if he wanted to and was very unhappy the Bengals forced him to stay.

• Like (+1) 1

Nah, I’m good.  I’d rather fill another hole with his FA money and draft two WRs.   

Signing AJ Green means we have to draft another WR regardless.  Can’t count on him.    Would rather get two guys... say Shenault and Jefferson, than one of them and Green. 

4 hours ago, appoo said:

Robby Anderson would be my top target.

I would have agreed before the season but he is just another #2. Better him than Duke Williams on the field with Brown but I want the Bills to think bigger. Green is still a #1 WR and we have arguably the best training and medical facility in the league. It's worth the risk. If the Bengals end up selfishly franchising him then I could settle for Anderson and a high pick.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

He already said that if he leaves Cincy it will be for a contender with an established QB which obviously rule the Bills out.

Watch him end up with brady on the Pats or wherever he plays next year. AB also said he will only play with Brady which is telling and a possible hint about Brady playing elsewhere since AB obviously not heading back to the Pats.

That can change when the offers you get are below the market you agent has been telling you.  

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not a good year to be shopping for a WR1 in FA and if you are a GM it's going to be hard to pull the trigger on sending a high pick for one with like 20 guys that could go in the top 3 rounds in some drafts available in this one.  

This is just so true. I have never seen a draft with so many top receivers.

From what I heard, Davonta Smith was told that he would probably be a 2nd round pick. I know how good that kid is and cannot comprehend how this is true, but it must be the reason that he stayed in school.

11 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

He already said that if he leaves Cincy it will be for a contender with an established QB which obviously rule the Bills out.

Watch him end up with brady on the Pats or wherever he plays next year. AB also said he will only play with Brady which is telling and a possible hint about Brady playing elsewhere since AB obviously not heading back to the Pats.

So let's break down your statement......

it will be for a contender.........Bills in Play-offs 2 of last 3 years.  Check.

with an established QB.......JA is the QB here, no doubts or change in sight. Brown had an excellent year with JA.  Check.

obviously rule the Bills out.......what?

So you set two conditions which are met and then you conclude the opposite.  How is this possible?  At least your new name is not Logical High Football IQ.

AJ Green is nothing more than a name at this point. I wouldn't be opposed to brining him in on a one year deal (For a lot of money even like 15 million) and drafting a WR high behind him. But I don't think he is honestly going to fulfill any long term deal he signs. 

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

You're the second reputable poster that has said this. I'm convinced the Bills will sign Green this offseason and that Green wants to be here. Putting on my conspiracy hat I think he could have played through his injury if he wanted to and was very unhappy the Bengals forced him to stay.

I think the Bengals are going to franchise him. They're drafting a QB #1 overall, and the best thing they can do for that QB is give him an elite, experienced target. Bear in mind that they're getting Jonah Williams back too, and he's a genuine blue chip LT. Combined with Boyd, Mixon, and Eifert, that is a talented group. I could easily see them bouncing back. They lost a ridiculous number of games (8) by one score or less this season and were way better than 2-14. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/a-j-green-has-no-problem-with-franchise-tag-but-hopes-for-commitment/

Edited by dave mcbride

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think the Bengals are going to franchise him. They're drafting a QB #1 overall, and the best thing they can do for that QB is give him an elite, experienced target. Bear in mind that they're getting Jonah Williams back too, and he's a genuine blue chip LT. Combined with Boyd, Mixon, and Eifert, that is a talented group. I could easily see them bouncing back. They lost a ridiculous number of games (8) by one score or less this season and were way better than 2-14. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/a-j-green-has-no-problem-with-franchise-tag-but-hopes-for-commitment/

...maybe they'll get a 1/2 season rebate when that's as far as he makes it.........

I don't think we see a real #1 WR...Beane has gone on record saying they don't believe in that concept.

They always struggled to surround Cam Newton with good weapons in Carolina. They tried with guys like Ginn, Benjamin and Funchess, but never got it right.

They're building this offense just like it was built in Carolina. (The same could be said of the defense, actually.)

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...maybe they'll get a 1/2 season rebate when that's as far as he makes it.........

I think he was fine at the midway point this season, but he basically shut himself down with the team's tacit approval given that getting the #1 overall pick had become paramount by that point. He really hasn't been injured all that much by NFL standards. He's only missed significant time in 2 out of 8 seasons, and even in those seasons he played the majority of the games. The idea that he's injury prone is a bit of a myth. Most NFL players who last a decade miss time at some point. 

6 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I don't think we see a real #1 WR...Beane has gone on record saying they don't believe in that concept.

They always struggled to surround Cam Newton with good weapons in Carolina. They tried with guys like Ginn, Benjamin and Funchess, but never got it right.

They're building this offense just like it was built in Carolina. (The same could be said of the defense, actually.)

Yeah, that worries me.

4 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I think they drafted all those guys thinking they would develop into a WR1  They are going to add talent to WR/RB.  I think they see Allen needs help to avoid falling into hero mode.  Much as I am enamored of AJ Green its dwelling on the player he was several years ago.  If they bring in a FA I'd prefer Breshad Perriman on a modest deal and double down with WR early in the draft.