Can we really be upset with the Bills scoring 19 points when no team scored more than 20 in Regulation on Wild Card Weekend?

Big Turk

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe that McD & Bean are committed to putting the clubs energy & money into the defense while hoping to build an effective offense on the cheap. 

IN fact, we have drafted a defensive player in the first round every draft since McDermott arrived.  Meanwhile in 3 drafts we have taken 2 WRs. Ray Ray in the 5th and Proehl in the 7th.

• Like (+1) 1

The defense absolutely did not do enough to win the game. Nobody came up with a big play once Houston got hot. That much is true.

That does not absolve Daboll/Allen and company from failing to take full advantage of a bad defense on the ropes. 

This is not an either/or proposition.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think that it is at all time to reexamine McDermott's overarching strategy.   I think you just stated his overacrching objective.   

He's not trying to be Beane's Levy.  That team was built in a time where teams could accumulate talent.   NOBODY in the last 20 years has acquired the likes of Reed, Thomas, Kelly, Lofton, Smith and their supporting cast of characters.  Nobody.  

But McDermott's overarching strategy is not and never was, as you suggest, to depend on the defense to carry the team to the next level.   He's been very clear that his vision is excellence in all three phrases.   It turns out that in part because of his talent, and because he was able to add Poyer, Hyde and White to go with Kyle, Jerry and Lorenzo, McDermott was able to build a good defense faster than an offense.   He had pretty much no offensive line, no receivers and no quarterback.   Yes, he had Watkins, who clearly had an attitude problem, and Woods, who they should have kept.  So the defense is ahead of the offense. 

But it's ridiculous to suggest that he somehow isn't interested in the offense. 

And you're going to be sadly disappointed if you expect them to go on some wild spending spree to put them into the stratosphere.  This isn't 1990 - you can't buy a top notch team.   And they've told us, over and over, that their objective is not to get to the top fast; their objective is to get to the top in a way that is sustainable.   They're going to build to make 2020 better than 2019, and then they're going to build to make 2021 better than 2020.   

how did one "buy a top notch team" in 1990?  There was no free agency in 1990. Only Plan B free agency.  I Would argue that its much more possible to buy a top notch  team now than in 1990.  Take the Rams, Clowns if they only had a coach, and 2017 Eagles as examples.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We are definitely on the same page here.  I just spent the day arguing with my circle of Bill's fans down here in Cincy saying exactly what you just posted. 

If I was Czar of the Bills I would work towards having a good but not great defense and switch priority to building at the minimum a very good offense.  I would role the dice on Allen and turn over the keys to the offense to him.  Sure Sign White & both D lineman but that's it.  The rest of the money and energy is going into the offense.  And we should fundamentally change the nature of our offense from a mistake free, low scoring unit designed to NOT lose a game to a high scoring risk taking venture. 

Much in the way Levy went from a conventional offense to the no huddle O after the 1989 playoff loss.  I like (hope) that the loss to the Texans is this groups 1989 playoff loss to the Browns.  But that will only happen if McD opens up his eyes and sees what needs to be done to change how the Bills play D.

They already are doing this. It’s clearly the plan. It’s a process. 9 new players on O this year. A few upgrades in the off season coming up and we’ll have money to both maintain the D and enhance the O

6 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

"But but - Josh Allen is bad/inaccurate/makes dumb plays!!!" "we can't win with JA"  "Allen is just Tyrod Taylor all over again"  - dumbest 35% of this board.

I think those who refuse to see the positive, or refuse to acknowledge the negative are both wrong.  Josh is certainly entertaining, but he definitely has flaws.  I think saying he's another Tyrod is absurd.  Tyrod took no chances.  Josh takes too many.  VERY different players.

We've already won with Josh, so also an unfair comment.  How far he ultimately can take us depends on a lot of factors.  Some he controls (personal development) and some he can't (personnel he gets to work with).  We'll just have to see.

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I know the Bills should have scored more with all their chances, but I think all the teams could be saying that.  None of the 8 teams scored more than 20 points in regulation on Wild Card Weekend so the Bills were not the only ones who had offensive issues putting up points.

However, the Bills were the only road team not to win this weekend as Tennessee, Minnesota and Seattle all went on the road and came away with victories.  I remember when home field advantage was worth a LOT in the playoffs in the NFL but know it almost seems like a disadvantage. Kind of crazy.  Seems to not just be the NFL but all sports...look at the World Series this year when the road team won every game, going 7-0.

Houston has one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

We had 13 points at halftime.

Yes.  We can really be upset with the Bills scoring 19 points.  It's nothing short of pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

"But but - Josh Allen is bad/inaccurate/makes dumb plays!!!" "we can't win with JA"  "Allen is just Tyrod Taylor all over again"  - dumbest 35% of this board.

A game in which he thought he was playing Rugby doesn't really disprove the "makes dumb plays". 

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Houston has one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

We had 13 points at halftime.

Yes.  We can really be upset with the Bills scoring 19 points.  It's nothing short of pathetic.

Not with JJ Watt they don't.  They are a totally different team on D with him in there.

3 hours ago, familykwi said:

I think those who refuse to see the positive, or refuse to acknowledge the negative are both wrong.  Josh is certainly entertaining, but he definitely has flaws.  I think saying he's another Tyrod is absurd.  Tyrod took no chances.  Josh takes too many.  VERY different players.

We've already won with Josh, so also an unfair comment.  How far he ultimately can take us depends on a lot of factors.  Some he controls (personal development) and some he can't (personnel he gets to work with).  We'll just have to see.

Are people saying he's another Tyrod? Jeez. Wacky.

Tyrod was in his fifth year in the league when he got here. It's a totally different situation from Allen, who's been thrown into the deep end early.

And yeah, Tyrod was a game manager who could seriously run the ball. Allen can run the ball, though not as well as Tyrod. That's most of the similarities from where I sit.

Good post.

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not with JJ Watt they don't.  They are a totally different team on D with him in there.

Watt played in eight games this year. And while they were better, no, they were not a totally different team, or defense, with him in there. Quick summary, in those eight games, Houston opponents averaged 23.5 PPG (19th, and by the way three -quarters of a touchdown more than we managed against them) and 362 yards (23rd).

That's a justification and not a good one.

Edited by Thurman#1