Can we really be upset with the Bills scoring 19 points when no team scored more than 20 in Regulation on Wild Card Weekend?

Big Turk

I know the Bills should have scored more with all their chances, but I think all the teams could be saying that.  None of the 8 teams scored more than 20 points in regulation on Wild Card Weekend so the Bills were not the only ones who had offensive issues putting up points.

However, the Bills were the only road team not to win this weekend as Tennessee, Minnesota and Seattle all went on the road and came away with victories.  I remember when home field advantage was worth a LOT in the playoffs in the NFL but know it almost seems like a disadvantage. Kind of crazy.  Seems to not just be the NFL but all sports...look at the World Series this year when the road team won every game, going 7-0.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Too many Bills fans in the stands.  Ruined the home field disadvantage. 

On a serious note... I feel much better about Allen after watching WC Weekend.  Being the first game gave us somewhat of a false barometer.  

I also feel much worse about our defense.  Gave up the second highest point total while blowing a 16 point lead in one half.  Not one QB looked as dominant as Watson did against our defense when it mattered.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I also feel much worse about our defense.  Gave up the second highest point total, while blowing a 16 point lead in one half. 

Watching their idea of "tackling" makes me much less happy about the defense.  I'm no longer certain I want Poyer or Milano as starters, despite all their excellent speed/energy/big plays - they have just been getting run over for weeks now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Houston has a poor defense, though. But with Watt being back that changed things.

I didn’t think he would move the needle much, but to his credit, he was the most disruptive player on either defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I didn’t think he would move the needle much, but to his credit, he was the most disruptive player on either defense. 

Yeah, if he was healthy their defense would have ranked much higher.

But it's not an excuse. Bills should have won that game. Hopefully we have a rematch next postseason.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Yes we should be disappointed.

The Texans were the worst defense featured this weekend, ranking 28th in total yardage. 

19th in points allowed, which matters more than yardage. Not elite, but it’s the playoffs on the road with a limited offense. How much better were they going to be than their season average? They had a 16 point lead in 3rd quarter and didn’t close the deal. Lots of blame to go around, but your takes are very tired. 

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

no team scored more than 20 in regulation, yet our vaunted defense gave up 19 points in the last 21:00 of regulation time.  

That’s where the disappointment was. 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yep. They left Ford 1on 1 all night, it seemed. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

19th in points allowed, which matters more than yardage. Not elite, but it’s the playoffs on the road with a limited offense. How much better were they going to be than their season average? They had a 16 point lead in 3rd quarter and didn’t close the deal. Lots of blame to go around, but your takes are very tired. 

It's tired to say we should be disappointed our offense couldn't score 20 points?

You're happy with our constant struggles to score points? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Texans were the worst defense featured this weekend, ranking 28th in total yardage. 

Unfortunately, this is true.  We played a legitimately bad defense and didn't take full advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Bills were the worst offense featured this year, in both point AND yards.  

Of course we should be disappointed, but that doesn't mean the coaches and players are screw ups.  They just weren't good enough.   Every team that lost this weekend looks at their playoff game and is disappointed.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's tired to say we should be disappointed our offense couldn't score 20 points?

Nobody is, but we just all watched a WC Weekend where defense ruled the day.  Guess who had one of the worst defensive performances?....

What did you expect from a second year QB making his first start, on the road, with a rookie RB, rookie TE, average OL and two B-level WR’s?   We got what was expected, and by design... we finished our defense and all knew the finishing touches to the offense were a year away.  

One side was expected to come through.  Up 16 in the second half.  They didn’t do their job.  In fact, they turned in one of, if not the worst, defensive performance of WC Weekend. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Too many Bills fans in the stands.  Ruined the home field disadvantage. 

On a serious note... I feel much better about Allen after watching WC Weekend.  Being the first game gave us somewhat of a false barometer.  

I also feel much worse about our defense.  Gave up the second highest point total while blowing a 16 point lead in one half.  Not one QB looked as dominant as Watson did against our defense when it mattered.  

That's how I feel to.  Allen did well in his first playoff game on the road.  And for those saying the Texans had a weak defense that's NOT true when Watt is out there.  He really sparked them.  And it would be fair to point out that the Texans playing without Fuller are not a good offense by any stretch of the imagination.

And while on the topic of our defense McD & Bean are going to have to take a long hard look at their strategy of putting the D first in building this team.  IMO it's NOT good enough.  I know what the stats say but stats lie.  Our D has let teams drive the ball down our throats at critical points in a game all year long.  On top of that they've done a piss poor job of forcing TO's that result in points.  NO TD's and only ONE forced TO in an opponents red zone. 

Look at yesterday's games, defenses were asked and came through in protecting small leads on days that their offenses were not producing.  For example TN's D made 14 points stand up & Seattle's D made 17 points stand up.  If our D was truly elite and a top 3 defense 19 points should have been enough to win the game and we never should have lost a 16 - 0 lead late in the 3rd quarter.

I'm thinking we would be better off letting the D slip back 20% while improving the Offense by 50%.  That seems to be the sweet spot for teams advancing in the playoffs.

Oh and one more point while I'm on a rant - if you're going to build your team around an elite defense at the expense of your offense then you better have AWESOME special teams.  And we don't have awesome ST's by a long shot.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Nope. I just don’t expect it to change much without major changes. They arguably had the least to work with of the playoff teams, save for maybe the Eagles. They need another WR, RB2, RT, etc. A 16 point lead evaporating is a failure on many levels. Looking at the other playoff games, it was around the top numbers. The defense allowed more than any other team. I’d love 30 points, but this team isn’t doing that, and not on the road in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Bills were the worst offense featured this year, in both point AND yards.  

Of course we should be disappointed, but that doesn't mean the coaches and players are screw ups.  They just weren't good enough.   Every team that lost this weekend looks at their playoff game and is disappointed.  

Crazy part was we put up the most offensive yards on Wildcard Weekend of any team with 425.

• Like (+1) 1