The penalty on Hughes

oldmanfan

If you want to get upset about BS officiating, focus on the second half kickoff.  When the player fields the ball in the end zone, it has to be downed to kill the play.  In this instance, the player flips a live ball forward toward the Referee making it an illegal forward pass in the end zone.  The whistle was not blown because the Referee knew it was still a live ball.  As the player began to flip the ball toward the Referee, the Ref raised his hand to indicate to the player not to throw him the ball.  The referee let the ball fall to the ground and roll. An illegal forward pass among other various offensive penalties committed in the end zone results in a safety.  The Bills should have been awarded 2 points and received a free kick.  Instead, Houston was awarded the ball at their 25 yard line because some officials thought that the kick returner intended to kill the play even though he didn't do it according to the rules.  It is not the role of the officials to determine the intentions of the player.  In this case, all they needed to determine was whether he downed the ball or he didn't.  Review of the video clearly shows that he didn't.  The correct interpretation of the play would have changed the entire second half.  Forget the penalties on Hughes and Cody Ford.  The real travesty was the blown call on this kickoff.  McD should have gone off the rails when the officials made this interpretation but he didn't.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

This!

He, above everyone else, has to play clean. But he can’t help himself. And I don’t hate that either. He’s probably a great teammate. Everyone on that team knows he gets after people, guys like that are great in a fight. 

But man does he have to be smart. I remember watching him dig into the pile, and I said “here it comes, personal foul” and sure enough. He just couldn’t stand by and watch his guy get piled on.

So he grabbed a guys face mask to get them off the pile. 

He reached into the pile and grabbed a Texans player by the face mask. The on field mics picked up the ref saying “face mask 55” before he made the call. 

Given his history with the referees you would think that Hughes would have the good sense to stay away from that situation given the circumstances.  You knew he would be flagged as soon as he approached the pile.

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He was also held and tackled on the 3rd&18 play and as usual no flag. It's time to move on from Jerry. He's been flagged for dumb penalties his whole career. 

He is the last part of the stank.  Ive been saying this for years and laughed at.  HE IS ON THE REFEREES BLACK LIST.  He gets stupid penalties ( whether deserved or not ). 

He goes invisible for many games but hey..everyone pushed that new PRESSURE STAT that he was highly ranked at last year.

Get rid of the stank Beane.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, blizzardman said:

Watch it again. There was no PF there. 

plus if edmunds picks up ball and starts running instead of just falling on it might have scored who know.  Would have, could have, should haves alot of those and what if penalty not called or called.

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Little mistakes in playoff games cost you.  One that has not been mentioned was the penalty on Hughes during the sideline scrum after Edmunds’ INT.  The Texans got an unsportsmanlike call and if Hughes doesn’t screw up it puts us a lot closer to scoring a TD.  The guy is a veteran, but you can almost set your watch by him either getting a dumb Offside or personal foul at the worst times.  He had three sacks; great but your veterans have to be the ones to play smart, not dumb.

did you see what he did? I didn't and no one else seems to know

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

did you see what he did? I didn't and no one else seems to know

From what I've read he pulled a guy's face mask.  Hard to actually see it with all the players in the area. 

He doesn't do that, they get their unsportsmanlike and we're on like the 15 yard line.  Hughes does this a lot; when is it reasonable to expect a veteran to act like a veteran?  Lee Smith is similar; a vet but you can count on him committing dumb penalties at the worst time.

Opposing player hit our player late. Jerry defended him. Good job Jerry.  

Everyone complains when Tre was hit by Gronk and nobody did anything, now our player is hit late and someone does something and people are complaining. Smh

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I was actually pretty amazed at how FEW of the typical Offside penalties Hughes got this year. In past seasons he was good for at least one a week.

They started to realize it was actually the offensive lineman moving first. Now if they can understand what holding is we will be in business. 

12 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Hard to believe the Texans only had 4 penalties all game

No it isn't. The NFL told them the Texans win this game hence the complete Bullshyt call on block in the back and letting the Texans offense get the snapboff a full second after the playclock was at zero.