The penalty on Hughes

oldmanfan

Little mistakes in playoff games cost you.  One that has not been mentioned was the penalty on Hughes during the sideline scrum after Edmunds’ INT.  The Texans got an unsportsmanlike call and if Hughes doesn’t screw up it puts us a lot closer to scoring a TD.  The guy is a veteran, but you can almost set your watch by him either getting a dumb Offside or personal foul at the worst times.  He had three sacks; great but your veterans have to be the ones to play smart, not dumb.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Little mistakes in playoff games cost you.  One that has not been mentioned was the penalty on Hughes during the sideline scrum after Edmunds’ INT.  The Texans got an unsportsmanlike call and if Hughes doesn’t screw up it puts us a lot closer to scoring a TD.  The guy is a veteran, but you can almost set your watch by him either getting a dumb Offside or personal foul at the worst times.  He had three sacks; great but your veterans have to be the ones to play smart, not dumb.

Hard to believe the Texans only had 4 penalties all game

• Like (+1) 4

Fair point.  I would have liked to see the events all the way through though.  Typically, a ref would like to penalize the original perpetrator and not throw offsetting flags especially for unsportsmanlike and personal fouls.  If Hughes came right in to defend, then I have less problem with him defending a teammate.  Grasping the face mask is a poor choice though certainly.

how many times has a holding call been against hughs? by his interaction with the refs in the past its prob good odds that hughs is a marked man who is watched like a hawk and never given a deserved call but i dont have the numbers. would be interested to know.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Hard to believe the Texans only had 4 penalties all game

And two of those were intentional delay of game calls, as they wanted to back up a little to give their punter more room.

I agree that it's absolutely mind numbing that Hou had no holding calls called on them all day...offensive or defensive.....considering that most NFL watchers agree that holding occurs on every single NFL play, somewhere on the field.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

He was also held and tackled on the 3rd&18 play and as usual no flag. It's time to move on from Jerry. He's been flagged for dumb penalties his whole career. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Did you see what he did?  No?  Ok, then stop. You have no clue

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffarukus said:

how many times has a holding call been against hughs? by his interaction with the refs in the past its prob good odds that hughs is a marked man who is watched like a hawk and never given a deserved call but i dont have the numbers. would be interested to know.

This!

He, above everyone else, has to play clean. But he can’t help himself. And I don’t hate that either. He’s probably a great teammate. Everyone on that team knows he gets after people, guys like that are great in a fight. 

But man does he have to be smart. I remember watching him dig into the pile, and I said “here it comes, personal foul” and sure enough. He just couldn’t stand by and watch his guy get piled on.

So he grabbed a guys face mask to get them off the pile. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Did you see what he did?  No?  Ok, then stop. You have no clue

He reached into the pile and grabbed a Texans player by the face mask. The on field mics picked up the ref saying “face mask 55” before he made the call. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

This!

He, above everyone else, has to play clean. But he can’t help himself. And I don’t hate that either. He’s probably a great teammate. Everyone on that team knows he gets after people, guys like that are great in a fight. 

But man does he have to be smart. I remember watching him dig into the pile, and I said “here it comes, personal foul” and sure enough. He just couldn’t stand by and watch his guy get piled on.

So he grabbed a guys face mask to get them off the pile. 

He reached into the pile and grabbed a Texans player by the face mask. The on field mics picked up the ref saying “face mask 55” before he made the call. 

I was pretty drunk, I didn’t notice that.  Did they show him reach in and grab a fade mask on film?  

1 hour ago, Fixxxer said:

most likely a BS call on Hughes.

He's notorious for getting BS calls ever since the ref incident a few years back. It was hard to see what was happening in the scrum, but it didn't look like Hughes was in the middle of it. More like he stepped in for a second and the ref threw the flag on him, despite whatever everyone else was doing. 

• Like (+1) 1