Rumor: Brady won’t give Patriots hometown discount as he did in the past

syhuang

8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

By the way, this "home town discount" thing is a fiction and a huge pet peeve of mine.  He is being paid millions off the books (through his TB12 company) for years now.  The NFL knows this but does nothing about it because of the PR drubbing they took when they took on the golden boy on Deflategate.  I would be shocked if he is not getting what all the top guys are making, only this structure is allowing the Pats to cheat the salary cap.

tom brady patriots GIF

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's not a bad qb, I don't think, and in the right situation he can produce.

My guess is if he plays ball in the 2020 season it's in NE* or nowhere. There clearly continues to be a signal stealing program in place in NE* and Brady has been an insider on that from the beginning. He is the recipient, however they are relaying info during the game, of the data they're obtaining in contravention of league rules. I doubt that Bellichick wants to risk corrupting an additional QB so it leaves Brady just the one place to play with that obvious advantage and Bellichick to modify at least the data delivery system if Brady moves on.

It might be worth arguing one other option but I get the idea he doesn't want to follow McDaniels and it will of course take years for McDaniels to assemble to type of data theft program/library and delivery system the Pats* use. That timeline won't work for Brady.

The other thing I see is that Brady doesn't really want to play football anymore- he just wants to throw passes and avoid any type of contact. Jim Everett must be losing it over the haranguing he took for one collapse in the pocket while there must be a highlight reel of 2019 Brady swoons to avoid football contact. I may have seen 6 of their games this year and I'd bet there are at least 10 times he went Marcia in those. I'm surprised I haven't seen a compilation of those embarrassments to manhood and the many tough guys who played the position over the years.

• Haha (+1) 2

McDaniels has a deal in place with Belichick to inherit the HC spot in New England after Bill moves on.  Much like the deal Belichick had with Parcells.  I don't see McDaniels going anywhere.  Especially not after the way he did the Colts. 

Chargers talk is crazy.  QB is not LAC's problem and Brady is hardly an upgrade over Rivers right now. 

Chicago or maybe Denver makes sense to me.  

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I do think he's on the downswing; don't get me wrong. I just thought he threw ball pretty well in the TN game. He's not a bad qb, I don't think, and in the right situation he can produce. But of course he's not who he once was.

Incidentally, my hunch is that Belichick really wants to move on. His legacy is secure, and I have to think he's bored with the current situation and feels like he needs a new challenge. 

The Pats and Brady are a team that was coming off of 3 straight Super Bowl runs (thus a lot of wear and tear on the team), Gronk retired, their offensive line was beaten down, their rookie 1st round pick WR got hurt, AB went crazy, Josh Gordon never got it together, even Eddlemen got banged up and their ground game fell apart (largely due to the O-line issues.)

So almost everything that could go wrong with Brady's surrounding talent did go wrong. I think the Pats if they can return the same strong defense and special teams units could easily return to contender status with Brady if they get their supporting cast healthy and add a couple of pieces. Brady isn't quite what he used to be but I still think he can manage an effective game if he has a solid O-line, ground game, and competent receivers. 

I think people are really underestimating just how bad the supporting cast around Brady was and how much worse that made him look. Brady to me can still be an effective QB in the league esp with a good cast around him. 

• Like (+1) 2

A few tidbits:

The contract issue

Brady will count 6.75 million against the 2020 and 2021 cap BEFORE he signs any new deal with NE. This is because of the way the team structured his current deal to free up 2019 cap space. 

So, if Brady signs for 2 years, 60 million (30 per year) he will count 30+6.75= 36.75 each season, eating up a TON of their cap space. They could always push that into the future with some creative accounting, I'm sure, but it will still put a crunch on their ability to re-sign their big name free agents, let alone bring new guys in.

As much as NE might want him back, they really cannot afford to sign a 5 year deal or something similar just to push the cap hit away, because that will totally cripple their cap if he only plays 1 more season due to age, injury, or effectiveness. As soon as he leaves ALL that dead cap money hits the books at once. That's the deterrent to doing that, or else every team would do it. 

Antonio Brown

I know AB is nuts, but he and Brady seem to have a bromance going. AB orchestrated his departure from the Steelers. NE tried to trade for him but was told no. So AB goes to Oakland. Then, AB hired people to help him be as crazy as possible (money well spent, and still paying dividends) in order to get cut from the Raiders. 5 minutes later he is on the Patriots, talking about how it was his dream to play with Brady. Once he's cut it's "play with Brady or no play" among a bunch of posts taking joy in the playoff downfall of NE (but not Brady, I suppose). AB must think (or know) that Brady will be elsewhere. 

Brady's house and the Witch Doctor's cabin

Both went up for sale right after Brady signed this new deal. 

"They" 

Brady repeatedly referred to the Patriots as "they" right after the game Saturday night. Freudian slip? 

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yes, man, yes.  With New England.  Let’s go living in the past.  The longer they cling to past glories, the better for the AFC East.

Brady is a game manager at this point.  We don't need that.  We're better off continuing on with Josh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brady just wants to have some fun and put together a "dream team" somewhere of AB and whoever the Chargers have, for example, and just chuck the ball around and win that way again. 

IF he goes back to NE he WILL be a game manager type. BB built the team that way last season (and they won) because he saw the writing on the wall. That was with Gronk, a healthy Edelman, and a 2 year younger Brady. 

Heard another rumor,

Brady is no longer worth a top contract so a hometown discount won't be necessary.  Patriots would be crazy to pay him 30 million per at this stage so I hope they do. If they don't I hope he struggles somewhere else and spends the season smashing helmets.

Brady was 23rd in passer rating this year. I hope New England pays him 30 million. Getting rid of the ball before anyone hits him is what he does best now. The more his ability to drive the ball down the field diminishes the more defenses will be closing in on his short passes underneath. I want him to stick around and eat some humble pie while taking a few lumps before sailing off.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Brady was 23rd in passer rating this year. I hope New England pays him 30 million. Getting rid of the ball before anyone hits him is what he does best now. The more his ability to drive the ball down the field diminishes the more defenses will be closing in on his short passes underneath. I want him to stick around and eat some humble pie while taking a few lumps before sailing off.

If they did sign a top WR he will need to hold the ball longer and will take more hits as a result

Nobody knows better than BB, who even with Gronk and a healthy Edelman went to a power running team in late 2018 after the team started to struggle

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Brady had one of the worst O-lines in the league due to injuries, a running game that suffered because of the O-line, a HOF tightend retired, and their WR core fell apart due to either injury (Eddleman and Harry) or personal reasons (AB and Gordon.) Everything that could have gone wrong for Brady this year did go wrong on offense. I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back and the Pats improve dramatically on offense. They still possess a quality running back core, their O-line if healthy is solid and if Harry can stay healthy and they can add a tight end and another receiver they should have a full complement of skill position players to work with. With their defense and a great special teams unit all they need is Brady to be an average QB and they can win.