Rumor: Brady won’t give Patriots hometown discount as he did in the past

syhuang

On 1/6/2020 at 8:01 AM, Gordio said:

You guys are funny.  You think Brady could play forever.  Did you watch the game Saturday Night.  He can't make throws anymore.  Sure he could do screen passes & the crossing patterns over the middle.  One play stuck out to me Saturday & it was actually a completion by him.  The pocket was shifting to the left he rolled out & threw a pass across his body over the middle.  It was a bout a 20 yard pass.   Nothing great, the guy was wide open but the ball literally took 6 or 7 seconds to get there.  It had nothing on it.  

This is how it is going to go down.  BB is going to have a long conversation with Kraft in the upcoming weeks & he is going to tell him he can not win with Brady anymore.  That Brady is done & it would be insane to give this guy 20-25 mil it is going to take to sign him  for another year.  Whether Kraft listens to him or not is another story, I think this time he listens to him though.  

There are a ton of good FA QBs out there this year.  Don't be surprised if they make a run on a guy like Bridgewater & then draft a QB.  They also have that Stidham, I liked him at Auburn. I am not sure how they feel about him.  

Brady should get out, it is going to end bad for him.  Some team will be making a horrible mistake if they sign him.  I keep hearing the Chargers but are they really a better team with Brady then Rivers.  If anything I think that is a wash at this point of their careers.  

Um ... that was the best I've seen Brady throw all season. He made a lot of difficult deep sideline throws and they were on the money. 

You have to look at Brady's whole season.  He started out very well, but then only played well sporadically as the season wore on.  The 2nd Bills game was his best in the latter half of the season.  I have never seen Brady play like he did most of this season - over & underthrowing receivers, bailing on plays too early, missing wide open guys.  It was actually a joy to watch at times.

He's in decline, and it's not going to get better. Reports are coming out now that he had 2 nagging injuries he was dealing with most of the season. Those aren't things that will improve with age.  

Like most great athletes, he's hanging on too long.  He should have gone out after last years SB win, on top.  He won't hurt his legacy by sticking around, but he'll hurt whatever team he is with.  I hope the Pats do re-sign him, and I hope it's for a few years.  He 100% does not scare me anymore - he's just not that good now.  There is a reason we don't see many 43 year old players in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... that was the best I've seen Brady throw all season. He made a lot of difficult deep sideline throws and they were on the money. 

Yeah he was so great he put up 13 points.  Usually you are spot on in your takes, but your way off on this one imo.  Brady was horrible Saturday.  It is very clear he can't make a tough throw anymore outside the hashes.  

4 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yeah he was so great he put up 13 points.  Usually you are spot on in your takes, but your way off on this one imo.  Brady was horrible Saturday.  It is very clear he can't make a tough throw anymore outside the hashes.  

He threw a perfect pass down the sideline at the EZ line that Kenny Vaccaro broke up. It was a laser and perfectly placed, but the safety got over in time.  So many drops too. Just a pathetic receiving corps. It was nice to see Edelman basically lose the game for them with a terrible drop of an easy-to-catch throw on their final meaningful possession. Edelman drops a LOT of passes and doesn't get called out for it enough. In fact, he led the league in dropped passes this season: https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He threw a perfect pass down the sideline at the EZ line that Kenny Vaccaro broke up. It was a laser and perfectly placed, but the safety got over in time.  So many drops too. Just a pathetic receiving corps. It was nice to see Edelman basically lose the game for them with a terrible drop of an easy-to-catch throw on their final meaningful possession. Edelman drops a LOT of passes and doesn't get called out for it enough.

if it was such a lazer it would of got there before Vaccaro had a chance to break it up.  The Edelman drop was bad, but it wasn't a tough throw that any half way decent JV QB in high school could make.  Brady just doesn't have the arm strength anymore & it amazes how many people(including a ton of media personal) refuse to acknowledge this.  

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, he had been declining since the Ravens game, but I was actually depressed by his performance Saturday, to me it was obvious he was everything but the problem. However, I think he leaves, at which point I will immediately not give a ***** about how much he still has in the tank.

And it's better to just not even say anything about Brady or the Pats on this forum. Most people just froth at the mouth and abandon all ropes tethering them to reality

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:45 PM, syhuang said:

NFL Rumors: Tom Brady Won’t Take Hometown Discount To Stay With Patriots

“Well, here’s the thing: First of all, does he go back to the New England Patriots? He’s an unrestricted free agent and the Patriots cannot franchise him,” Glazer said. “I’m told if he does go back to the Patriots, he doesn’t want to do the same hometown discount he’s done in the past. So then you also look at other options out there. Certainly a team he’d help with their fan base, but there’s been talks about him going somewhere with Josh McDaniels. There’s only four openings, only one without a quarterback. That’s the Carolina Panthers. I just don’t see that happening. I think he fits better in, obviously, with the Patriots, but then it comes down to money.”

I think he's misplayed his hand. This isn't five years ago.  He is on the way down.  He was mediocre with the Pats this year and he likely will be worse adjusting to a new system.  I think he either  will retire or will take what the Patriots offer him.  Who else would sign him for what he's looking for? They're certainly not going to pay him 30 mil a year.   Anyone else remember Namath playing for the Rams at the end?  Would set your franchise back a year or two.

My concern is Brady leaves and goes to the someone like the Chargers. And while the fans are celebrating that Brady is gone... 

Belichick does what he does and brings in FA Drew Brees on a 2 year contract and lands one or 2 FA wr's. Belichick will want to prove he can win without Tommy. 

This season:

Brady 16 games - 60.8% comp 4057 yards 24 TD 8 int QBR 52.5% 

Brees 11 games - 74.3% comp 2979 yards 27 TD 4 int QBR 74.2% 

On 1/5/2020 at 7:58 PM, Putin said:

The only logical place imo is the chargers 

If it is just money, there are lots of logical places. If it includes location and playoff viability I think you are correct. 

I think Las Vegas is an interesting opportunity.  Brady was not good this year. It seems plausible he was hurt, and that he could be better than Carr next year.  

Any think the Bears are an opportunity.  Don't know their cap room, maybe nothing after the Mack signing.  But the room for improvement over Trubisky is huge. 

I think this may work out like the end for Peyton.  He was still pretty good until he fell off a cliff.  Brady wasn't that bad but there simply is no precedent for a guy continuing to play at the highest level at 43, which is how old he will be when the season starts.  If I were the Chargers I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Just a pathetic receiving corps.

Mo Sanu was catching over 83% of passes thrown his direction and gaining 7.45 yards per target with Ryan throwing him the ball the first 7 games of the season. With Tommie Boy his numbers fell to a 51.9% catch rate and only 4.19 yards per target. It's difficult for me to blame that plunge over the falls on the receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

He will be an epic fail if he goes outside his 20 yr system of cheating, 7 yrd slants, and phantom PI calls.  My greatest joy will be seeing him go to another team next year and completely sucking - getting pummeled on a regular basis as he pouts and throws hissy fits (so "competitive"!) while announcers originally wail that poor Tommy just Doesn't Have Any Weapons ? - then slowly come to the realization he just isn't that good - as they remove his privates from their orifices and start to speak the truth that all along he was a product of the system - system of cheating.  GOAT my a$$

10 minutes ago, AKC said:

Mo Sanu was catching over 83% of passes thrown his direction and gaining 7.45 yards per target with Ryan throwing him the ball the first 7 games of the season. With Tommie Boy his numbers fell to a 51.9% catch rate and only 4.19 yards per target. It's difficult for me to blame that plunge over the falls on the receiver.

I do think he's on the downswing; don't get me wrong. I just thought he threw ball pretty well in the TN game. He's not a bad qb, I don't think, and in the right situation he can produce. But of course he's not who he once was.

Incidentally, my hunch is that Belichick really wants to move on. His legacy is secure, and I have to think he's bored with the current situation and feels like he needs a new challenge. 

Edited by dave mcbride

By the way, this "home town discount" thing is a fiction and a huge pet peeve of mine.  He is being paid millions off the books (through his TB12 company) for years now.  The NFL knows this but does nothing about it because of the PR drubbing they took when they took on the golden boy on Deflategate.  I would be shocked if he is not getting what all the top guys are making, only this structure is allowing the Pats to cheat the salary cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1