Rumor: Brady won’t give Patriots hometown discount as he did in the past

syhuang

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what has happened since McDaniels jilted the Colts at the last minute?

At the time, the rumors I heard was that he had been given a timeline and a promise to take over the Patriots when Belicheck retired

My guess is Bellichick isnt retiring anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

My guess is Bellichick isnt retiring anytime soon.

So what was McDaniels motivation for jilting the Colts at the last minute then? 

And why is his behavior towards the Colts being so conveniently overlooked by teams seeking new head coaches this year?

It would only be poetic justice if McDaniels screwed the Colts on the promise of a regime change he’s now being jilted of himself

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

There's no way Belichick would agree to tank. NO WAY. And there is no reason they cannot be pretty damn good with another QB.

Exactly.  What was their record with Matt Cassel?

35 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Brady's not going anywhere.

Mr. Happy Ending will give him another offer he can't refuse under the table. I'm guessing a two-year contract.

I think the notion he's getting paid under the table is silly.

His wife is worth $350 mil. 

Brady has never needed the money, which is why he's never pursued getting paid market value. 

35 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

If you're Tom Brady, why do you sign with a dumpster fire like Miami instead of just retiring?

I don't at all consider Miami a dumpster fire.

I think they're going to be really good in two years. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think the notion he's getting paid under the table is silly.

His wife is worth $350 mil. 

Brady has never needed the money, which is why he's never pursued getting paid market value. 

jrober - you're smarter than that. Rich people never have enough. Multi-millionaires want to be billionaires. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

jrober - you're smarter than that. Rich people never have enough. Multi-millionaires want to be billionaires. 

Brady is never going to become a billionaire playing football.

An extra $10-15 mil a year, subject to taxes in Massachusetts isn't going to move the needle anywhere close to enough. 

Brady is the ultimate competitor. For years he's taken less with the hope that the Pats would have a competitive advantage over their competition, and for the most part it has worked brilliantly. 

Edited by jrober38

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what was McDaniels motivation for jilting the Colts at the last minute then? 

And why is his behavior towards the Colts being so conveniently overlooked by teams seeking new head coaches this year?

It would only be poetic justice if McDaniels screwed the Colts on the promise of a regime change he’s now being jilted of himself

I think McDaniels got scared of Luck's injury status. 

He’s not good anymore. Any team signing him is using it as a publicity stunt to sell tickets. 
Tom will only get worse not better. He should leave the game now. Coming back to try and erase a pick six as being your last TD, is like a gambler chasing one bad bet after another to break even. 
NE is done. 
Belichick could and should leave NE, and go coach Cleveland. Finish off where he started. 

I think Brady wants to win too much to just go to free agency and take the biggest deal he can find. 

I don’t see many teams that could be contenders next year, with a bunch of cap space and a need at QB. 

Maybe Tennessee? Brady and Vrabel are good friends. Titans have a good defense, good o-line and some skill on offense. But will they want to dump Tannehill? For Brady, I would. But who knows. 

Maybe Dallas if they decided to dump Dak, but that seems somewhat short sighted. With Jerry though, who knows. Dallas probably has enough talent to win a SB with a good enough coach.

Maybe Indy? 

Who else? Are the Chargers legit SB contenders with Brady? I could definitely see them having interest, but I don’t know if Brady would view them as a contender. 

From an athletic article:

https://theathletic.com/1510849/2020/01/05/tom-brady-future-patriots/

Twelve teams have enough uncertainty at the quarterback position and the necessary cap space that Brady could be an attractive option: Miami ($98 million in projected cap space), Cincinnati ($55 million), Tennessee ($48 million), Indianapolis ($93 million), Denver ($65 million), Oakland/Las Vegas ($68 million), the Los Angeles Chargers ($56 million), Dallas ($86 million), Washington ($47 million), Chicago ($18 million), Tampa Bay ($88 million) and Carolina ($31 million).

Even if you rule out the Bengals (who may use the No. 1 pick on Joe Burrow), Broncos (Drew Lock), Titans (Ryan Tannehill), Raiders (Derek Carr), Cowboys (Dak Prescott could re-sign), Redskins (Dwayne Haskins) and Bears (cap gymnastics), that leaves five teams to set Brady’s market with a bidding war. And the Dolphins, Colts and Buccaneers have enough cap space to pay Brady in Monopoly money.

I cant see Brady going to Miami, Cincy, Denver (they’re sticking with lock anyway), Oakland or Tampa. Probably not Carolina either. 

There could be some surprise teams with interest though. Imagine the publicity boost to your team if you landed atom Brady in free agency... 

Meanwhile, the Patriots have $49 million in projected cap space. While that’s plenty to handle Brady, it’s only 18th-most in the NFL. Plus, the Pats’ other free agents include Devin McCourty, Kyle Van Noy, Jamie Collins, Joe Thuney, Ted Karras and Matthew Slater. They also don’t have a second-round pick to replenish a loss.

What I think it’ll all come down to: 

Does Belichick feel he has a better chance to win by spreading out the money that would be spent on Brady and going with Stidham? Or does he view paying Brady as his best chance? 

And will Brady decide he’s best off taking s little less to stay in New England? I can’t see Brady’s decision being driven by money alone. He’s too fierce a competitor to go to a rebuilding team just for 1 last pay day. 

Edited by BillsFan4

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The guy that brought up Dalton, got me to consider that it won't be too difficult to find another QB that can play as well as Brady did this past season. And Belichick could take Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton-type  guys to another level. I wonder if he would consider Cam Newton or Jameis Winston, both of them may be available. 

As long as Belichick is there, they will be good. Maybe not dominant, but good.

Edited by 32ABBA

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Lol imagine if the Bills gave him 30 mil for 2 years to try and win a super bowl with this defense and let Allen watch and learn?

Pats defense was just as good if not better and it didn't help much there.  Brady and Allen are so dissimilar, not sure there'd be much to learn.  Plus Brady would probably insist they trade Allen as doesn't want him looking over his shoulder.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Pats defense was just as good if not better and it didn't help much there.  Brady and Allen are so dissimilar, not sure there'd be much to learn.  Plus Brady would probably insist they trade Allen as doesn't want him looking over his shoulder.

It's not worthy of a response.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He has no leverage. 

I thought I had read something about a $13.5m dead cap hit if he's not on the roster?

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

My understanding it will probably just be a cash fine or a very low round pick.

So a much lower penalty for being a repeat offender?

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not saying it’s a good idea. It was a joke. But if your asking me who would give us a better chance to win: Brady current day, even in a severe decline or Josh Allen? I’m not even going to answer. The guy is literally the greatest QB in NFL history and even in his “down year” threw for more yards then any Bills QB did in their prime. With no WRs. He’s way, way past his great years and probably just about done. (And I was just playing around anyway) But a motivated Brady next year will still be very dangerous. Hopefully he finally leaves the division.

You guys are funny.  You think Brady could play forever.  Did you watch the game Saturday Night.  He can't make throws anymore.  Sure he could do screen passes & the crossing patterns over the middle.  One play stuck out to me Saturday & it was actually a completion by him.  The pocket was shifting to the left he rolled out & threw a pass across his body over the middle.  It was a bout a 20 yard pass.   Nothing great, the guy was wide open but the ball literally took 6 or 7 seconds to get there.  It had nothing on it.  

This is how it is going to go down.  BB is going to have a long conversation with Kraft in the upcoming weeks & he is going to tell him he can not win with Brady anymore.  That Brady is done & it would be insane to give this guy 20-25 mil it is going to take to sign him  for another year.  Whether Kraft listens to him or not is another story, I think this time he listens to him though.  

There are a ton of good FA QBs out there this year.  Don't be surprised if they make a run on a guy like Bridgewater & then draft a QB.  They also have that Stidham, I liked him at Auburn. I am not sure how they feel about him.  

Brady should get out, it is going to end bad for him.  Some team will be making a horrible mistake if they sign him.  I keep hearing the Chargers but are they really a better team with Brady then Rivers.  If anything I think that is a wash at this point of their careers.  

On 1/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It’s over. Pats are done. So you are telling me Belichick is going to win just one game? Ha. Belichick is next. 

They won games when Br*dy was suspended for having a designated phone breaker.

They won games when Br*dy had a boo boo.

The director of spying still works for them and if they are not intentionally tanking they will win some games.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:58 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Please explain in detail where your understanding comes from?

Probably one of P*ts boards he was kicked off - why else would he be here?

12 hours ago, Gordio said:

You guys are funny.  You think Brady could play forever.  Did you watch the game Saturday Night.  He can't make throws anymore. 

At some point people have to accept that fact that he simply is not near the QB everyone thinks he should be. You didn't even need to watch the game Saturday. Did you see his pick-six against Miami? It was so bad they attributed it to EJ Manuel. The minute he hears footsteps, he intentionally grounds the ball. 

12 hours ago, Gordio said:

I keep hearing the Chargers but are they really a better team with Brady then Rivers.  If anything I think that is a wash at this point of their careers.  

A new stadium isn't going to get filled without a full season of winning under its belt, regardless of who plays there. Brady is too much of a diva to go to a place where three losses will have him playing home games filled with visiting fans...just like we've been watching all year with the Chargers. And he's no upgrade over Rivers with that OL.