Rumor: Brady won’t give Patriots hometown discount as he did in the past

syhuang

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

NFL Rumors: Tom Brady Won’t Take Hometown Discount To Stay With Patriots

“Well, here’s the thing: First of all, does he go back to the New England Patriots? He’s an unrestricted free agent and the Patriots cannot franchise him,” Glazer said. “I’m told if he does go back to the Patriots, he doesn’t want to do the same hometown discount he’s done in the past. So then you also look at other options out there. Certainly a team he’d help with their fan base, but there’s been talks about him going somewhere with Josh McDaniels. There’s only four openings, only one without a quarterback. That’s the Carolina Panthers. I just don’t see that happening. I think he fits better in, obviously, with the Patriots, but then it comes down to money.”

I mean realistically what is he worth right now?  He had his worst season and it reasons that when he is another year older, his abilities will decline even more than they already have and he will be worse next year.  Teams are paying for what he can do for them in the future not for what he has done in the past. The only team that might overpay for him based on what he has already done is the Patriots since he has such a long and decorated history with them.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Brady leaves. 

The Chargers seem like the most logical destination. They desperately need to sell tickets, the team already has some pieces including an elite slot guy and excellent tight end in Keenan Allen and Hunter Henry, they have a very good running game and some pieces on defense. It seems like a much better situation than New England.

Other destinations could include Miami or Tampa. Both seem like good situations for him to walk into. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

I think Brady leaves. 

The Chargers seem like the most logical destination. They desperately need to sell tickets, the team already has some pieces including an elite slot guy and excellent tight end in Keenan Allen and Hunter Henry, they have a very good running game and some pieces on defense. It seems like a much better situation than New England.

Other destinations could include Miami or Tampa. Both seem like good situations for him to walk into. 

Miami I could see. Only a few hours flight to nyc. His new home is in Conn. the only thing with that is gailey's offense doesnt fit with his current skill set.

2 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Miami I could see. Only a few hours flight to nyc. His new home is in Conn. the only thing with that is gailey's offense doesnt fit with his current skill set.

I think Gailey is experienced enough to adapt.

They have tons of picks and tons of cap space. 

They could put a really good team around Brady for 2 years and still let a 1st round rookie learn on the bench for two seasons. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

He has some. There is no heir apparent and they pick in the low 20’s. 

I probably pony up for one more year if I am the Pats, and do whatever it takes to get near the top of the draft this year. 

they sign Bridgewater in FA and torture us for another 20 years 

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think Brady leaves. 

Brady's not going anywhere.

Mr. Happy Ending will give him another offer he can't refuse under the table. I'm guessing a two-year contract.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m not sure if he’ll be worth whatever he got last year. He’s not worth paying like the top QB’s anymore. He missed his window for asking for top dollar, but I’m shedding no tears for him. 

You are totally correct Augs! His big paydays are over. He isn’t a franchise QB anymore and you cannot build around him. Brady has limitations and they will continue descending. His best option, if the Pats want is stay on a yearly prove it basis at 8 mil tops. If not I sense he wouldnt get more than that anywhere else.

46 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If NE has to pay him the going rate of 25-30 million they are going to have to let other guys walk.

That's not the going rate for a QB of Brady's age and ability.  It would not surprise me if Brady and the Patriots took a hard look around the league and decided that it was in both of their best interests to agree to a couple more years at a salary far lower than that.  I honestly don't think there's a market for Brady outside of Boston.

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think Gailey is experienced enough to adapt.

They have tons of picks and tons of cap space. 

They could put a really good team around Brady for 2 years and still let a 1st round rookie learn on the bench for two seasons. 

If you're Tom Brady, why do you sign with a dumpster fire like Miami instead of just retiring?

16 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

He is going to work kraft over.

Belichick is going to take his ball and go to the giants

I've heard this a few times over the weekend.

All's quiet on the Giant front with their coaching search.

It really adds up.

What does Jones know? What's he waiting for?
It's all so intriguing. I'm fine with an exodus of Patriot talent from the AFC East.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

I've heard this a few times over the weekend.

All's quiet on the Giant front with their coaching search.

It really adds up.

What does Jones know? What's he waiting for?
It's all so intriguing. I'm fine with an exodus of Patriot talent from the AFC East.

Gettleman would have to get the boot.

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

play the Bills 15 times.

That would be 14-1

Edited by Chris66

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

So your saying they stopped paying him under the table now. 

Exactly.  He never took a hometown discount, the scheme he and Kraft cooked up with the TB12 crap gets him compensated off the books so they have more cap space. 

Frankly, I don't care if he retires or not, he's lost his abilities.  They have either bent or broken the rules over and over again but even the Cheatriots can't dupe father time.

Ending his career on a pick six is beautiful.

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

There is a lot to consider:

- Kraft's willingness to part with Brady, who is like a son to him.

- Belichick's willingness to preside over a rebuild with Stidham or some other young QB.

- The team's internal belief about Stidham.

- Whether McDaniels gets a HC job - he is probably the first domino to drop since he'll be interviewing this week.

- Brady's pride - would he take a discount?

- The plausibility of resigning Brady at a $$ amount he is happy with as well as completely retooling the skill players on offense, along with a new offensive coordinator. They have nothing right now.

So what has happened since McDaniels jilted the Colts at the last minute?

At the time, the rumors I heard was that he had been given a timeline and a promise to take over the Patriots when Belicheck retired