DK Metcalf mea culpa

cage

31 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

His neck injuries were definitely a concern to those of us without access to his medicals as you note.  Even if that checked out I can’t believe that you’d consider him a safe pick.  Elite speed and ability to outmuscle corners, yes.  In spades.  But coupled with suspect hands, terrible lateral agility and inexperience as a route runner he definitely carried a fair bit of risk.  If we’d have flipped 74 and 96 for a late 2nd round pick and taken him, I’d have applauded it.  But at 9, hell no.  Incidentally, if he would’ve been our pick at 9 I don’t think we’d be looking at him nearly as favorably.  A top 10 pick at WR should be a lock to be a dominant, game changing player.  A quality WR, sure, but I don’t see top 10 pick. 

Incidentally Oliver was the best prospect I thought we’d have a chance to get at 9.  The Simmons injury really put getting a top DT in jeopardy.  I was ecstatic we got Oliver at 9.  I had a clump if players rated similarly if he’d have gone at 8 and we couldn’t move back. 

I would argue that DK was a gamechanger from day 1, just not in the traditional, 100-catch per year, kind of way. The threat of him changes the way the defense has to defend the Seahawks basically every play.

29 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I would argue that DK was a gamechanger from day 1, just not in the traditional, 100-catch per year, kind of way. The threat of him changes the way the defense has to defend the Seahawks basically every play.

I’d argue that he is a fine WR with potential to be a game changer, but that you’re overstating his impact to date.  He wasn’t even the most productive receiver on his team (though he had a very good season for a rookie).  And it doesn’t change the risk-reward factor.  High upside WRs who have big questions about their games generally fall out of the first round.  Sometimes you get Juju Smith Schuster and sometimes you get Zay Jones - and more often than not it’s the latter.  That why you don’t take prospects like that 9th overall, you take them later.  I’m just going to leave it there. 

8 hours ago, Lenigmusx said:

Singletary is going to be one of the best backs in the league for the next few years. I would not give that pick back for anyone.

Disagree there too, he doesn't have the flat out speed. He is nice around the line of scrimmage and can get some chunk yardage but it will be difficult for him to carry our team offensively. I'm really hoping C Wade can learn the pass blocking assignments because I would really love the two of them as a one two punch.

Here is where I say I told you so.  

I was championing DK Metcalf long before his combine.  I kept telling everyone he was the one true legit #1 WR in the draft.  Funny how much people argued with me about him who actually knew nothing really about him.  All they said was "3 cone" over and over or that he was too big.  One guy swore he would be popped for steroids and it was impossible to be that fit without them lmao.  

Here are the WR's I was targeting going into the draft when everyone kept telling it was a bad draft for WR's even though I kept saying it was quite good.  

Metcalf

Harry

AJ Brown

Deebo

McLaurin

Campbell

Most turned out to be pretty darn good rookies (one got hurt).  I also said Zay sucks and would get traded (and they did try and trade him before the season started).  I also said keep an eye out for David Sills V if the Bills don't draft a WR early.  I also said don't sleep on Duke, he had a shot to make the team and could push to start (which he eventually did, including the playoffs).

Hmmmm...maybe I know a little something about WR's...someone call Beane and have them bring me in on a consultants deal to help fix the WR position this year ?

NOTE:  I dont fault Beane for not drafting a WR though last year, we had a lot of holes to fill and I had no issues with any of his picks on draft night.  I personally would have taken DK instead of Ford, but at the time of the draft I also got the Ford pick and was fine with building up our trenches.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Wrong!!!

Dawkins, Allen,  Edmunds,  Knox.  

Let me guess, you're an Allen hater.  Front Office.  

Oh dear gussie, no...”hate” is such a strong word and should never be used- even in the most trying of times...But I am, however, still not yet sold on him being a franchise QB- if that’s what you were alluding to...

How anyone could look at his measurables and scoff at them because of a *****in 3-cone drill is mind boggling.  

I saw D.K. coming a mile away.

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I've probably been the foremost Metcalf backer since before the draft around here.

I beg to differ.  I was on that train in November of last year.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is where I say I told you so.  

I was championing DK Metcalf long before his combine.  I kept telling everyone he was the one true legit #1 WR in the draft.  Funny how much people argued with me about him who actually knew nothing really about him.  All they said was "3 cone" over and over or that he was too big.  One guy swore he would be popped for steroids and it was impossible to be that fit without them lmao.  

Here are the WR's I was targeting going into the draft when everyone kept telling it was a bad draft for WR's even though I kept saying it was quite good.  

Metcalf

Harry

AJ Brown

Deebo

McLaurin

Campbell

Most turned out to be pretty darn good rookies (one got hurt).  I also said Zay sucks and would get traded (and they did try and trade him before the season started).  I also said keep an eye out for David Sills V if the Bills don't draft a WR early.  I also said don't sleep on Duke, he had a shot to make the team and could push to start (which he eventually did, including the playoffs).

Hmmmm...maybe I know a little something about WR's...someone call Beane and have them bring me in on a consultants deal to help fix the WR position this year ?

NOTE:  I dont fault Beane for not drafting a WR though last year, we had a lot of holes to fill and I had no issues with any of his picks on draft night.  I personally would have taken DK instead of Ford, but at the time of the draft I also got the Ford pick and was fine with building up our trenches.  

Do a search, I was on board with you!!

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Yes.  Really.  Metcalf was a risky pick not because he didn’t have a high ceiling, but because of the very real possibility that he would fail.  People can play the hindsight game all they want, but he was who he was as a prospect.  He was a supremely big, fast WR who lacked lateral agility and was very raw technically.  You do not take such a player in the top 10 because the bust rate for that kind of player is high.  Day 2?  Have at it.  

To his credit he has worked very hard and has improved his route running a great deal.

Many of us wanted him in the 2nd. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Disagree there too, he doesn't have the flat out speed. He is nice around the line of scrimmage and can get some chunk yardage but it will be difficult for him to carry our team offensively. I'm really hoping C Wade can learn the pass blocking assignments because I would really love the two of them as a one two punch.

Agree on Wade but some of the greatest backs in league history weren’t super fast. Even Thurman was not a “break away” back but he could pick up large chunks with his power/shiftiness/ability to hit the hole. That is actually who Singletary reminds me of.  

Singletary has the highest yards per carry 5.1 of any back in the league this year. 

Edited by Lenigmusx

35 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Many of us wanted him in the 2nd. 

I’d have been good with that.  I won’t fault a GM for going with a well regarded big ugly at the top of the second though.  I’d have taken Ford too.  But as Metcalf fell to the bottom of the second round I’d have been happy to see them go get him.  Heck, that’s a 3rd and 4th (or less).   Not that I don’t like Singletary.  I really do.

Edit: When he fell so far I assumed it was due to his medicals (neck).  Apparently that wasn’t the issue. 

Edited by BarleyNY