DK Metcalf mea culpa

cage

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Could have had him instead of Ford, who they traded UP for

Tackle is still infinitely more important than WR

And you need to give a lineman a few years

You CAN find a WR anywhere from round 1-4

Hell you can find WRs in round 7 and UDFA... There are more WRs with draft eligible grades now than ever before

And the tackles with draft eligible grades are getting smaller by the year

Hindsight is always 2020

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, cage said:

Man, if there was one guy I didn't want the Bills to draft last year it was DK Metcalf.... would he ever be an asset to Josh Allen in hindsight.  Would have made a hell of a 2nd round pick

I was also really down on Metcalf. Started slow, but has heated up as the year has gone on.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A potentially great RT is definitely NOT more important than a potentially great WR.... not even close. 

Both tackles spots are very important and maybe the bills have lagged behind because they didn't value it for a decade

Tons of the premier edge rushers come off the RT side so I don't want to hear how it's not important. Von to JJ to tons of other greats primarily line over the RT.. so would I take Lane Johnson ?

And the word potentially you said is key... DK can potentially be great and so can Ford

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I still won’t apologize. We are one year in and he has Russel Wilson throwing him the rock. He’s better than advertised as far as only running straight line routes but come on it’s Russel Wilson. Everyone is open during his scramble drills. Seattle was the best possible landing spot in the world for him. 

I know the criticism coming out was that he could only run straight line routes, that's not true, but even when he does, he's really effective. He's playing extremely well.

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I know this thread is about Metcalf but even if you assume that Beane did not see the value, it does not excuse adding more talent at the receiving position. Emmanuel Sanders was available in the middle of the season. He could be had and yet we did not try/outbid the 49ers. He would have been a great vet presence on and off the field for a young QB. There was no excuse not to get him 

If I had to guess,  Beane probably liked John Brown better, and He wasn’t going to pay

both Brown and Sanders— they are pretty similar receivers. 

I think where Beane went wrong was not

looking for a “big” receiver to add to the speed and quickness guys we have. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I know this thread is about Metcalf but even if you assume that Beane did not see the value, it does not excuse adding more talent at the receiving position. Emmanuel Sanders was available in the middle of the season. He could be had and yet we did not try/outbid the 49ers. He would have been a great vet presence on and off the field for a young QB. There was no excuse not to get him 

The 49ers are sending a third- and fourth-round pick to the Broncos in exchange for Sanders and a fifth-round pick

Would you really give up MORE than a 3rd and 4th round pick for a 32 yr old WR that is going to be a free agent next season?

I was surprised the broncos got that much for him.  I guess if they win the superbowl it will be worth it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, wppete said:

I believe Metcalf is his only Draft mistake. Still one of the best GMs in sports! 

usa_today_10218928.1525867663.jpg

I mean I like him just fine I guess, but is he actually one of the best GMs in sports... or do you just like fair-haired men in designer sunglasses? ?

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

If I had to guess,  Beane probably liked John Brown better, and He wasn’t going to pay

both Brown and Sanders— they are pretty similar receivers. 

I think where Beane went wrong was not

looking for a “big” receiver to add to the speed and quickness guys we have. 

This is upcoming draft is a WR draft with very few OTs and keeping Josh upright was/is more important...

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Can we all remember threads like this as we start talking about the draft here shortly? Next time we are POSITIVE that ________ is never going to be an NFL player, think back to this thread. Think back to a guy that you were 100% wrong on. 

There’s always Ryan Finley’s though that justify those statements ?

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tackle is still infinitely more important than WR

And you need to give a lineman a few years

You CAN find a WR anywhere from round 1-4

Hell you can find WRs in round 7 and UDFA... There are more WRs with draft eligible grades now than ever before

And the tackles with draft eligible grades are getting smaller by the year

Hindsight is always 2020

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ford will be a solid lineman for years to come. Bills will get a WR in FA or draft this year.

The problem is Ford has no business at RT.  He may become a mainstay at G, but he doesn't have it at T.  

If you have access to The Athletic look at the grades they give each game.  Ford has graded out well when playing guard, but is the lowest rated Bills player on the list of players who qualify for season long grades because he grades out so poorly when playing RT.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can we all remember threads like this as we start talking about the draft here shortly? Next time we are POSITIVE that ________ is never going to be an NFL player, think back to this thread. Think back to a guy that you were 100% wrong on. 

I was so wrong about McCaffrey. Didn't think he would hold up to the pounding and be a between the tackles RB.

So far I've been mostly right about Darnold not being good. Herbert will be the next QB bust. He looks the part but simply doesn't make plays.

• Like (+1) 1