2019 Re-Draft: Cody Ford vs DK Metcalf

StHustle

In a redraft, would you still choose Cody Ford over DK Metcalf?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take?

11 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

So the Patriots, who had a need passed on him, and took Harry. 

The Ravens, Titans, and Niners, all took receivers NOT named D.K. Metcalf. 

Talent evaluators saw a lot they didn’t like in him, and Seattle took a swing and came away with a good player. 

Harry was hurt early but he looks like he's going to be good.  He and Tre White had a nice battle last game.   A guy that big that returns punts very well too?   We'd be very high on him if he were ours.

Brown, Brown and Samuel all had excellent rookie seasons so you are barking up the wrong tree there.

They are better in relation to Metcalf than Josh Allen is to Lamar Jackson so not really calling those choices glaring mistakes like Ford over Metcalf.

Cody Ford sucked at a position(RT) where a lot of teams cut corners and use journeymen and have plenty of success.

You need a RT?   Two of the best available in FA.   Not unusual.   You can have a great offense with a bad RT so teams don't like paying them.

We don't know yet Metcalf was a guy I wanted just send him deep and josh throwing to him would have made everything under neath be open.  But because Mr. Bean did not give Josh a running back to play with this year it takes away from what this line and ford could do I think this line and ford are taylor made for a big 200 pound back run behind but Bean does not see it this way.

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Metcalf was an absolute beast tonight. I hate it that the Seahawks got him. 

Yeah,it sucks. Other teams have good players. Wish the Bills could pick all of them. May as well go bang your head against a brick wall or something . Or become a Seahawks fan. Your handle says it all. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah,it sucks. Other teams have good players. Wish the Bills could pick all of them. May as well go bang your head against a brick wall or something . Or become a Seahawks fan. Your handle says it all. 

When was the last time that we lucked into a game changing player like Metcalf without doing anything in the draft? I'm seriously trying to think of anyone. Maybe Fred Jackson in a minor way?

Just now, Livinginthepast said:

When was the last time that we lucked into a game changing player like Metcalf without doing anything in the draft? I'm seriously trying to think of anyone. Maybe Fred Jackson in a minor way?

Pretty sure Fred was UDFA. NFL Europa or something. It’s been a long time, but what can you do. Probably Polian era. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I would have been fine with Metcalf in the 2nd but I wanted Oliver in the 1st.

I don’t fault BB for taking Ford. I will fault them for trying to keep him at RT.

I was always about Oliver early but Metcalf could have been had at top of 2nd. Ford was a reach just because of our desperation for a RT.

I like to think it may have been our plan to move Ford inside after year 1 all along and target a RT in FA and that is why we signed Ty and only played Ford part time at RT. 

So I can’t judge this overall yet until 

a) I see how Cody does as a guard.   And 

b) I see who draft in the first round as a WR

GMs always look years ahead and they may have just liked this years’ WR draft class value better for round 1. Metcalf is really good but who is to say he will be better than any of the top 3-5 guys of 2020. 

I would still take Ford on this offense and this quarterback. Ford needs to be moved to guard and he'll be a good player for a long time. He's not a tackle at the NFL level, but he'll make a great guard. If I had to choose between a great guard or a so-so WR with a great QB I'll take the guard. 

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Harry was hurt early but he looks like he's going to be good.  He and Tre White had a nice battle last game.   A guy that big that returns punts very well too?   We'd be very high on him if he were ours.

Brown, Brown and Samuel all had excellent rookie seasons so you are barking up the wrong tree there.

They are better in relation to Metcalf than Josh Allen is to Lamar Jackson so not really calling those choices glaring mistakes like Ford over Metcalf.

Cody Ford sucked at a position(RT) where a lot of teams cut corners and use journeymen and have plenty of success.

You need a RT?   Two of the best available in FA.   Not unusual.   You can have a great offense with a bad RT so teams don't like paying them.

I was pointing out that other teams with a need at the position, passed on Metcalf. You claimed that didn’t happen. 

Ford played poorly at times, and better at others. That’s what happens. It’s obvious that the plan was to groom Ford and bring him along slowly, but injuries happened and he was forced to play. 

I stand by my vote. I’d still take Ford over Metcalf, because I’m not convinced he would have produced the way that he did in Seattle, and that’s because of the coaching staff, specifically the S&C coaches.  

27 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

He catches that ball that duke dropped with ease 

I think he catches it but its not easy, Metcalf's elite, he makes the tough catches look routine . Duke is a good 3rd WR. But Duke didn't drop that endzone pass. He should have caught that  pass. Perhaps if he had 16 regular season games and first team reps to get more accustomed to Josh, he does, but the Braniacs in charge of offense made sure that didn't happen and bizarrely threw him in the deep end for a playoff game. 

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is such a silly question.  Of course, in hindsight you take Metcalf. 

You could play this game though with every other player the Bills have chosen that isn't currently the best at their position in the NFL.  What's the point?  We chose Ford, he's been alright.  Move on!