Rachel Bush, contract negotiator/agent

YoloinOhio

I would think Hyde is the better player to invest in. Jaquan Johnson looked solid in limited snaps, and I wonder if Neal could make the move to safety as well. He made some decent plays against Houston but I think he’s built more for safety than corner in this league. 

20 hours ago, Augie said:

We could all use more fruits and vegetables. 

There are a lot of both types posting on these social media sites.  Despite his philanthropy, Zuckerberg and many of his ilk should burn in hell for their ‘contributions’ to the world.

Most of the ‘look at me!’ social media sites would benefit from a 500 word qualifying essay as to why the prospective member deserves to have membership.  It can be evaluated by any reputable sixth grade language arts instructor.

Jeebus, I’m grumpy this morning!  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

I fully recognize and appreciate the Bills Defense is *the* reason they made it into the playoffs and also why they lost the WC game. Poyer and Hyde have been incredible since coming to Buffalo and I'm truly grateful. However, Safety is not a value position IMHO. QB, DE, Top CB, LT and MLB are all high value positions, meaning their position simply by scheme can change the outcome of a game and make a notable impact. Yes, a good Safety can be a terrific player and role to have, but they just don't hold the value above replacement as a position.

I know Tre needs to stay and get paid, Dawkins and Milano the same - so to me, as much as I like Poyer, I'd trade him to a contender if possible and take the mid round pick they get in return, say - a 4th? The 4th and 5th round picks for McD and Beane et. al. have turned out quite nicely, so it's not like the years of the past when anything beyond a 3rd round pick was a "throw away". Yes, I know not all of them were like that, e.g. Kyle Williams, but for far too long the Bills just did not Draft well on the whole, let alone in the mid to late rounds. Point being, Drafting a replacement in the mid rounds is probably the better option given what the Bills need to do for their own players and still bring in a few high priority FAs. 

Poyer didn’t have a good game on Saturday. But he adds a ton of value to this team and this defense. I would offer him an extension based on the value they have placed on him. If he doesn’t take it, then decide how to replace him. I wouldn’t just make him play out the existing deal. It’s not in the ballpark of a starting safety. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Eh, Poyer can consider holding out if he really feels insulted by his current deal. Not sure he’s got the leverage for that though. 

According to one of our guys who legit has some connections, he considered doing just that last year. 

I'm actually pretty impressed by Poyer as a man.  He made a mistake in his personal life that went loudly and immaturely public in the 2018 off season thanks to his IG influencer wife.  Apparently they both pulled it together, reconciled, and presumably grew (up) from it, but that's not a trivial thing to pull off.

The win-win, IMO, would be for Poyer to realize that most big paydays in the league are "Paper Tigers" due to minimal guaranteed money and salary end-loaded for the final years, and that teams are not going to be lining up to give a 30 yr old safety in a "do your 1/11 system" a long contract.   If the Bills offer him an extension with a decent increase in guaranteed money and good injury guarantees, that would practically speaking, be a "win" for both sides. 

Of course the devil is in the details of what "decent" means.  Hyde is able to earn $5M/yr in addition to $1.6M amortized signing bonus.  If the Bills offer him an extension that's significantly more than that, we're going to get into "Diner While Dining in Crewe" territory with the rest of the team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

According to one of our guys who legit has some connections, he considered doing just that last year. 

I'm actually pretty impressed by Poyer as a man.  He made a mistake in his personal life that went loudly and immaturely public in the 2018 off season thanks to his IG influencer wife.  Apparently they both pulled it together, reconciled, and presumably grew (up) from it, but that's not a trivial thing to pull off.

The win-win, IMO, would be for Poyer to realize that most big paydays in the league are "Paper Tigers" due to minimal guaranteed money and salary end-loaded for the final years, and that teams are not going to be lining up to give a 30 yr old safety in a "do your 1/11 system" a long contract.   If the Bills offer him an extension with a decent increase in guaranteed money and good injury guarantees, that would practically speaking, be a "win" for both sides. 

Of course the devil is in the details of what "decent" means.  Hyde is able to earn $5M/yr in addition to $1.6M amortized signing bonus.  If the Bills offer him an extension that's significantly more than that, we're going to get into "Diner While Dining in Crewe" territory with the rest of the team.

I'd add on an additional 2 years max. Don't want to be paying the guy when hes 32+.