To All the People Saying They Went Into a Shell up 16-0...You're Missing the Strategy

HardyBoy

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Look it always ultimately rests with the Head Coach. That is the job and Sean McDermott knows that as well as anyone. But they coached well enough to win that game in my mind. Execution failed us. Yet again.

Yet, they executed the running game with Singletary extremely well.  It's a shame that the coaches didn't realize that.  Gore's touches were a waste of a down.  I think pretty much everyone knew this before the snap of the ball.

Your argument reminds me of middle managers who blame those under them for their failings.  

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is something that very few want to acknowledge for some reason.

I think it is THE reason we lost the game.  The most common comeback I get is, "Josh had to be better," which tells me that they don't understand that if Devin Singletary is getting the ball, all Josh has to do is ***** hand it to him.

26 passes/5 rushes after the Bills went up 16-0.  Dumb.

Wow.

That's really crazy.

Holy friggin crap!

And I just went back to look at how often we handed in to Singletary or Gore on our way up to that 16-0 lead... and it totally dwarfs the amount of times we gave it to them after we got that lead!

Tells me our coaches panicked and Allen just resembled that panic with his 4th Quarter and OT play.

In this particular game, being conservative wasn't their overall downfall as far as the offense goes. The moment was just too big for them and they panicked and got stupid, just like Allen.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:28 PM, HardyBoy said:

For sure on the 3rd and 18, but we need to wait for the All-22 before we can say too much there...could have been a blown coverage or a great play call against the defense that opened the middle if the field up. The issue is he wasn't contacted 5 yards sooner, not that they were in a shell.

yep our defenders really hesitated before trying to converge. that play was pathetic all around.loser franchises make loser plays.

6 hours ago, Tcali said:

yep our defenders really hesitated before trying to converge. that play was pathetic all around.loser franchises make loser plays.

Haha, yes you're right...they put themselves in position over a 16 game season to play the lowest top seed in the wildcard because of the 5 seed. Then were basically within a 3rd and 18 from winning a road playoff game, where a super raw linebacker who has a literal hall of fame ceiling made a mistake that not only will he likely never do again in his career, but will be the single moment that will fuel him to work so damn hard he has a chance to reach that ceiling.

We're definitely on the same page...?

48 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Haha, yes you're right...they put themselves in position over a 16 game season to play the lowest top seed in the wildcard because of the 5 seed. Then were basically within a 3rd and 18 from winning a road playoff game, where a super raw linebacker who has a literal hall of fame ceiling made a mistake that not only will he likely never do again in his career, but will be the single moment that will fuel him to work so damn hard he has a chance to reach that ceiling.

We're definitely on the same page...?

i agree

23 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow.

That's really crazy.

Holy friggin crap!

And I just went back to look at how often we handed in to Singletary or Gore on our way up to that 16-0 lead... and it totally dwarfs the amount of times we gave it to them after we got that lead!

Tells me our coaches panicked and Allen just resembled that panic with his 4th Quarter and OT play.

In this particular game, being conservative wasn't their overall downfall as far as the offense goes. The moment was just too big for them and they panicked and got stupid, just like Allen.

Oh, didn't you get the memo? It was all Josh Allen as he had an RPO and went pass crazy all on his own...

Allen even called the run plays to Gore for around one yard a pop after that 14 yard run he had. 

The offensive coordinator is responsible for all those inopportune, costly O line penalties that set the drives back. Buffalo was 24th in the league in penalties in 2019 and most were on the O line.  He is responsible for the O line with missed blocking assignments, not picking up free blitzes. When the Ravens, Patriots ran that cover zero blitz against the Bills there is usually more than one way to defeat that defense and yet the Bills didn't have an answer all game long. Yeah, that falls on the OC! Lack of discipline, lack of knowing and understanding their protections, blocking assignments.

The offensive coordinator is also responsible for finding a way to make the run game work and if it stalls for a few runs you don't give up on it and go pass happy. Especially not with a young, inexperienced QB. No freaking way should the Bills OC had Allen throw 46 passes in that game with only 13 runs by Singletary.