Allen out-playing other playoff QBs

wiseman3

5 hours ago, Success said:

It seems like everyone is focused on a handful of bad plays.  He didn't throw any picks, and made big plays all day.

I have no worries about him or his future. He'll learn & get better.

I agree. Kelly took years to get us not only to the playoffs but also to the Super Bowl! It might not be as fast as we want but I think he will get us there and more than once! Because I think with this coach and GM he will have a good team around him!

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Let's simplify things and look at production by the 8 QB's who played in the 4 first round playoff games:

Passing Yards & TD's/TO's:

325 = Wilson;  1/0

264 = Allen;  1/1

247 = Watson;  2/0

242 = Cousins;  1/0

209 = Brady;  0/1

208 = Brees;  1/2

174 = MaGowan;  0/0

72 =  Tannehill;  1/1

Rushing Yards - ALL players

182 = Henry

94 = Cook

92 = Allen!

Team Offensive Production - total yards/ Points

Buffalo = 425 yards;  19

Seattle = 382 yards;  17

Vikings = 362 yards;  26

Texans = 360 yards;  22

Saints = 324 yards;  20

Pats = 307 yards;  13

Eagles = 282 yards;  9

TN = 272 yards;  14 (pick 6 not included).

Key take aways?  Allen played equal to or better then all the other QB's from both a personal AND team offensive production POV.  All the games were LOW SCORING & tightly contested with two going to OT.  Buffalo had the most yards and the  Vikings had the most points.  Allen led all QB's in TOTAL YARDS produced a Watson led all QB's in TOTAL TD's produced.  Brees led all QB's in  TO's

As others have pointed out playoff ms are often dominated by the defenses.   Bottom lie is that for his FIRST PLAYOFF game Allen acquitted himself quite well.  And note that this was Cousins FIRST playoff win in his NFL career. 

But the Bills let their lead evaporate and made dubious coaching decisions.  Passes were dropped. They lost in the end, so if you hate Allen then he gets the blame. That’s TSW. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And note that this was Cousins FIRST playoff win in his NFL career. 

Was also only his 2nd playoff start as well. I was surprised when I heard that earlier. But I suppose being on the Deadskins will do that to you. 

4 hours ago, Process said:

Allen was not the problem. Coaching lost us this game and McD can f off for calling out Allen after the game. 

Brown leaping out of bounds and williams dropping a TD on two beautiful passes by Allen also didn't help. 

Looking forward to next year when hopefully Daboll will be gone and we have some real NFL talent around him. 

Change your username & avatar. It’s so confusing to the rest of us.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Was also only his 2nd playoff start as well. I was surprised when I heard that earlier. But I suppose being on the Deadskins will do that to you. 

I think next year when Allen plays in his 2nd playoff game we'll see a significant improvement in his performance.  There's usually a big jump from a QB's first to 2nd playoff game.  I suspect that next week we'll see an example of this with Lamar Jackson who was booed at home last year in his playoff debut.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think next year when Allen plays in his 2nd playoff game we'll see a significant improvement in his performance.  There's usually a big jump from a QB's first to 2nd playoff game.  I suspect that next week we'll see an example of this with Lamar Jackson who was booed at home last year in his playoff debut.

Let's hope we are back next year. I hate to labour the point but the whole AFC East has a tough road next year with a lot of west coast games. I suspect it is a division where only the champs make the post season in 2020. Gotta win the East! That should be the next set of posters McDermott sticks up haha. 

50 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Watson was barely up to the challenge.  He was ineffective through two and a half quarters yesterday but in the end he came through for the Texans like a star.  But let's not forget how Watson did in his first playoff game last year.  Allen did much better in his first game.

Watson was incredible in the second half and OT against the number 3 ranked pass defense, and I have no doubt the experience last year helped. I thought Josh acquitted himself well up until the Watt sack. It could have gone much worse in his first playoff game. There's still reason to be optimistic IMO but we need to change this offense. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, VW82 said:

Watson was incredible in the second half and OT against the number 3 ranked pass defense, and I have no doubt the experience last year helped. I thought Josh acquitted himself well up until the Watt sack. It could have gone much worse in his first playoff game. There's still reason to be optimistic IMO but we need to change this offense. 

Yea. And the big difference Watson last year and this year was last year he unravelled a bit when it was going wrong. He started trying to do too much and made big errors. This year in that first half when the Bills were all over him and his line (all game really) was routinely being blown up he just took his medicine. Sucked it up. Didn't have the ball up for grabs and waited for the chances to come to make plays. A player with Watson's talent will always get those chances over 60 minutes and sure enough eventually they came. And he was incredible down the stretch, I agree. 

That is the lesson I think for Josh. When you hit those moments in post season play where it feels like your team can't get anything going you have to stick in. Don't try and do too much. Take the plays that are there and limit the damage by the plays that aren't there. Josh played a decent game. He had some mad moments. The one that would most worry me was the sack he had on the 4th down running towards his own end because I have seen that very play before with Josh. 1st game of final year at Wyoming he did the exact same thing. But for a playoff debut he doesn't have too much to beat himself up about. He was not the reason we lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I agree but for almost 3/4 of the game he was largely ineffective.  Then he came alive and played brilliantly helped in no small part by his key play maker Hopkins who also came alive.  The unique synergy between a stud play maker and a clutch QB was on full display with Watson & Hopkins late in that game and it's something desperately missing from the Bill's offense.

I agree that the Watt sack screwed Allen up for two series though to his credit Allen was able to recover enough in the 2nd series to get the Bills a game tying FG.  In OT though I thought Allen had settled back down and looked sharp.  The only reason we didn't get the game winning FG on our OT possession was the missed block on Allen's sweep and the bad penalty called on Ford the next play. And had the D come through on the 3rd & 18 we would have gotten the ball back and I'm very confident that Allen moves us into FG range on that drive. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. And the big difference Watson last year and this year was last year he unravelled a bit when it was going wrong. He started trying to do too much and made big errors. This year in that first half when the Bills were all over him and his line (all game really) was routinely being blown up he just took his medicine. Sucked it up. Didn't have the ball up for grabs and waited for the chances to come to make plays. A player with Watson's talent will always get those chances over 60 minutes and sure enough eventually they came. And he was incredible down the stretch, I agree. 

That is the lesson I think for Josh. When you hit those moments in post season play where it feels like your team can't get anything going you have to stick in. Don't try and do too much. Take the plays that are there and limit the damage by the plays that aren't there. Josh played a decent game. He had some mad moments. The one that would most worry me was the sack he had on the 4th down running towards his own end because I have seen that very play before with Josh. 1st game of final year at Wyoming he did the exact same thing. But for a playoff debut he doesn't have too much to beat himself up about. He was not the reason we lost. 

He certainly wasn't the only reason. I keep coming back to him finishing 58 plays. Way too many. Other teams are winning with good defense and run game, and a QB who makes plays when he needs to not all freaking day long. 

I'm no longer in support of what we're doing offensively. Daboll is not a good fit with Allen IMO. We might as well sign Brady if we continue to run this offense. Find an OC with a creative run game arsenal and re-make the line again with guys who can actually move and block downfield. Bring in another stud RB to play with Singletary and find a TE who can block and catch then we might have something.  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

So far, Josh has had a better performance than any other QB not named Watson (and he still out gained him by a considerable margin of total yards). Brees, Brady, Tannehill, and Cousins have all been pretty bad. I guess my message is that the playoffs are an entire different beast. Allen gets absolutely ripped apart for his mistakes, yet when you compare him to all others so far, he may have had the 2nd best performance of the playoffs. Get him some weapons and another legit RB, and we're in business. 

What are you heading this on?