Allen out-playing other playoff QBs

wiseman3

2 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

So far, Josh has had a better performance than any other QB not named Watson (and he still out gained him by a considerable margin of total yards). Brees, Brady, Tannehill, and Cousins have all been pretty bad. I guess my message is that the playoffs are an entire different beast. Allen gets absolutely ripped apart for his mistakes, yet when you compare him to all others so far, he may have had the 2nd best performance of the playoffs. Get him some weapons and another legit RB, and we're in business. 

05FA4273-1F0A-4EE9-A5B0-41B24AED8C18.thumb.jpeg.502090bb90541cd8546332b63d13e7cc.jpeg

12 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I know. Point is he played above that rather low bar in a playoff game. I'm aware he's set that bar for himself tho.

It's a forum reacting over his lateral throw. From Chiefs fans watching Mahomes. That's a super specific time and place to guage national opinion dude

How about from another neutral team whose fanbase recognizes their own bust of a QB?

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-afc-wildcard-games-igt.75665/page-12

13 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I know. Point is he played above that rather low bar in a playoff game. I'm aware he's set that bar for himself tho.

It's a forum reacting over his lateral throw. From Chiefs fans watching Mahomes. That's a super specific time and place to guage national opinion dude. Like a Chiefs forum page immediately following a Mahomes pick is a good place to evaluate his career?

Mahomes throws jump balls in almost every game.  Throws EXACTLY like the one to DiMarco.  

Only for Mahomes, there’s no DiMarco out there, it’s just an abundance of playmakers.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

well maybe im in the wrong place .  my view was overall the defence went asleep in the 2nd half. lost the aggression from 1st half.

play calls at every game suspect at best.

we win some and lose some that buffalo for you.

only one bad game in season at home to phillies. every other game one score only games.

been angry after last night but allen not one to blame, team effort.

but when you dont  score more than 20 points in games you wont win many..

some new personel and better play calling needed.

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

How about from another neutral team whose fanbase recognizes their own bust of a QB?

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-afc-wildcard-games-igt.75665/page-12

stop pulling up forum pages immediately following his lateral. i get it. it was universally stupid.

Pull up a forum page dedicated to sober reflection on Josh Allen. 

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

51 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Asking your young QB to pass 46 times, run 9 times and go out for a pass 1 time(Was our only TD) while calling for only 21 hand offs in his first playoff game on the road no less while leading or tied for almost the entire game is a recipe for success, yes? 56 plays he was directly involved vs 21 hand offs, is down right criminal given how the first 2 2/3 quarters went. Where were the play-action passes that help young QBs out or max protection when they started to get pressure on him every play or screens where were they? Daboll's first 15 scripted plays and the player's execution were very good after that Daboll called an garbage game. 372 total yards out of our 425. 11 for 21 on 3rd downs with several coming on passes to very tight windows on the run. More drives(FGs included) ended because of bad play calling & offensive line penalties that put us behind the chains.

Here's my issue with Josh ... I like him, and I think he made great progress this year, but ...

... the offense really only clicks when he is using all that athletic skill. That means running, rolling out (and going out as a receiver yesterday), etc. Basically a Lamar Jackson Jr. type offense, or maybe a Kaepernick-era 49ers offense. But we already know he's not Russell Wilson or Lamar Jackson when he's running and playing with abandon; they seem to have that innate ability to avoid clean hits. If Allen plays cautiously, he kind of sucks; if he plays aggressively, he gets hurt.

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Here's my issue with Josh ... I like him, and I think he made great progress this year, but ...

... the offense really only clicks when he is using all that athletic skill. That means running, rolling out (and going out as a receiver yesterday), etc. Basically a Lamar Jackson Jr. type offense, or maybe a Kaepernick-era 49ers offense. But we already know he's not Russell Wilson or Lamar Jackson when he's running and playing with abandon; they seem to have that innate ability to avoid clean hits. If Allen plays cautiously, he kind of sucks; if he plays aggressively, he gets hurt.

Sure... on an offense with an average OL, two B-level receivers, a rookie TE and rookie RB, we rely on Allen to be a playmaker. 

Luckily we have a ton of money and draft picks to fix that. 

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I don't know if I'd rank his performance at #2:

Watson: 20/25, 247 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 14/55 rush (1 TD), 1 Fumble/0 lost
Cousins: 19/31, 242 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 2/-1 rush
Brees: 26/33, 208 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1/5 rush, 1 Fumble/1 lost
Allen: 24/46, 264 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 9/92 rush, 1/16 rec yds (1 TD), 2 Fumbles/1 lost
Brady: 20/37, 209 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT
Tannehill: 8/15, 72 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4/11 rush, 2 Fumbles/0 lost

Stats aren't everything, but reading the above I'd say he was behind Watson and Cousins, and on par with Brees.

Add:

Wilson: 18/30, 325 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 9/45 rush, 1 Fumble/0 lost

McCown: 18/24, 174 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 5/23 rush, 2 Fumble/0 lost

Looks like the order of performance (to me) is:

Wilson

Watson

Cousins

Brees or Allen

McCown

Brady

Tannehill

4 hours ago, Success said:

It seems like everyone is focused on a handful of bad plays.  He didn't throw any picks, and made big plays all day.

I have no worries about him or his future. He'll learn & get better.

Yes: precisely.

1 hour ago, familykwi said:

I'm not an Allen hater.  I do have concerns though.  Until he shows he can keep his head under pressure, I'll continue to have concerns.  He executed the initial drive script well.  He made a few positive plays because he has talent and athleticism.  He made some errors that did not show growth.  He should have been picked three times if Houston had defenders that can catch (hello Mr. Roby).

The lateral though.  That caused me to lose a lot of faith that he may already be near his ceiling.  Booger said he liked Josh's poise.  Booger's poise bar is obviously WAY lower than mine.

The "LATERAL"

The intentional grounding.

The "Let's run in reverse on 4th down 25 yards" play...

At tat point he was absolutely clueless out there and everybody saw it.  Felt bad for him.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Mahomes throws jump balls in almost every game.  Throws EXACTLY like the one to DiMarco.  

Only for Mahomes, there’s no DiMarco out there, it’s just an abundance of playmakers.  

Show me one example of him throwing a total jump flutter ball to a double covered fullback.

Edited by Billl

Just now, Billl said:

Well, as I pointed out, he wouldn’t be in that situation because he throws jump balls and everyone on the field is a playmaker. 

3 hours ago, VW82 said:

Watching guys like Tannehill and Cousins win playoff games behind a solid run game you can't help but be a little jealous about the way they built their offenses. Josh was asked to do more. So was Watson and he stood up to the challenge, but it's still a lot to ask of Josh both at this stage of his career and of his current skill set to be out there finishing 58 plays including runs, throws and sacks. 

Watson was barely up to the challenge.  He was ineffective through two and a half quarters yesterday but in the end he came through for the Texans like a star.  But let's not forget how Watson did in his first playoff game last year.  Allen did much better in his first game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Does KC even run a FB out wide on a deep pattern?  I doubt it.

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wP1r9kfpvVg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe

Edited by Billl

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But let's not forget how Watson did in his first playoff game last year.  Allen did much better in his first game.

I put the numbers up earlier actually. They are remarkably similar - Watson v the Colts and Allen v the Texans. Both threw over 45 times had completion %s in the 50s, 200 odd yards, 1 TD and 1 Turnover and made some big plays with their legs. 

Watson used that experience yesterday to rebound brilliantly in the 2nd half. When Josh gets that chance 2nd time aound he hopefully does the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Seriously, it helps a lot when you're watching other games to occasionally stop and ask yourself "What would people say if Josh Allen did that?"  You really start to notice that other QBs occasionally throw into double coverage, get interceptions dropped, take sacks, fumble the ball while scrambling / getting sacked, etc.  Allen just gets a disproportionate amount of criticism on all of those plays because that's the media narrative.

This is so spot on.  Since I started watching games this way last year I feel even better about Allen being our franchise guy.  The nitpicking he endures at the hands of some of these demented "fans" is astonishing.