Allen out-playing other playoff QBs

wiseman3

Look, I am not the biggest Allen supporter by any means, but man.....I think he's kind of getting some unfair criticism.  He was nearly as good as it gets in the first half yesterday.  Did he come unraveveled in the 2nd half a bit?  Yes he did.  He made some poor decisions and had some brutal plays that no NFL QB should ever make.  But you know what else he did?  He made a couple of absolutely WOW plays that maybe no other NFL QB could make.

He has a LONG way to go to establish himself as a franchise QB, but what he did yesterday in his first career playoff start, in his 2nd year in the NFL was ok.  Lots of highs and lows.  He's 23 years old.  A kid with the weight of his team and a city that cares like no other on his shoulders and he laid it all on the line yesterday, and all season for that matter.  He took a great step forward this year and, if he works hard this offeseason, and makes the same size step forward that he did this year, we might be looking at a top 10 QB in the league next year.  He needs to manage his emotions better.  He needs to make better decisions.  He needs to make better throws at times.  He has to be better on the deep balls.  And he needs more talent around him to help him do those things.  Don't kid yourself.....this was not a complete team yet.  The offense still needs a lot more high end talent on it.  The offense does not have 1 legitimate star on it as of right now.

So yeah....he had terrible moments yesterday, but he also put the team in a position to have a chance to win, and probably should have.  But if you can't see the steps he has taken this year, I don't know what to tell you.  But let's wait 1 more year to see if he makes that leap forward before running him out of here.  He has his moments where he may look like it, but he's not the same QB that he was at Wyoming.  He's come a long way from where he was a couple years ago and hopefully, for all of our sakes, he takes that next big step next season.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Look, I am not the biggest Allen supporter by any means, but man.....I think he's kind of getting some unfair criticism.  He was nearly as good as it gets in the first half yesterday.  Did he come unraveveled in the 2nd half a bit?  Yes he did.  He made some poor decisions and had some brutal plays that no NFL QB should ever make.  But you know what else he did?  He made a couple of absolutely WOW plays that maybe no other NFL QB could make.

He has a LONG way to go to establish himself as a franchise QB, but what he did yesterday in his first career playoff start, in his 2nd year in the NFL was ok.  Lots of highs and lows.  He's 23 years old.  A kid with the weight of his team and a city that cares like no other and he laid it all on the line yesterday, and all season for that matter.  He took a great step forward this year and, if he works hard this offeseason, and makes the same size step forward that he did this year, we might be looking at a top 10 QB in the league next year.  He needs to manage his emotions better.  He needs to make better decisions.  He needs to make better throws at times.  He has to be better on the deep balls.  And he needs more talent around him to help him do those things.

So yeah....he had terrible moments yesterday, but he also put the team in a position to have a chance to win, and probably should have.  But if you can't see the steps he has taken this year, I don't know what to tell you.  But let's wait 1 more year to see if he makes that leap forward.

Spot on post.

Just give him 3 players on O and he is golden going forward.

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Actually as of the end of the Saint game .. for the 6 starting QBs 

Most Passing Yards - Josh Allen 264 

Most Rushing Yards - Josh Allen 92

Most Receiving Yards - Josh Allen 16 :)

Was he amazing .. no, but for his 1st playoff game ... I would say pretty darn good

it was a combination of braindead playcalling, terrible oline play and lack of talent at WR position. Allen did the best he could. people blaming our defense when we held a top 5 experienced QB to 19 points while we had a 2nd year project QB in his first playoff game on the road. 

had we scored 1 more TD in the fist half the game would have been over. Daboll forced Allen to throw too much. just like he did in both NE games, in the Ravens game and in the Browns game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hope some people will watch these games and realize every QB makes bad plays. Even the best of the best like Brees, Mahomes and Rodgers. When you watch an entire game like you watch a Bills game you see that it’s a regular occurrence for QB’s to make a bad pass or get sacked. 

Yeah.  I remember about a dozen times this year when Rodgers threw the ball randomly backwards to nobody for no reason.

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Allen was most certainly part of them problem yesterday. Saying he wasn’t is foolish denial.

Hey man, this place is all about foolish denial with regard to Allen.

He's by far the most important person in this organization right now, and he's not very good.

Pretending he isn't the problem isn't going to improve the situation.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wiseman3 said:

So far, Josh has had a better performance than any other QB not named Watson (and he still out gained him by a considerable margin of total yards). Brees, Brady, Tannehill, and Cousins have all been pretty bad. I guess my message is that the playoffs are an entire different beast. Allen gets absolutely ripped apart for his mistakes, yet when you compare him to all others so far, he may have had the 2nd best performance of the playoffs. Get him some weapons and another legit RB, and we're in business. 

Get the man a catching speed back or revitalize Yeldon, 2 upgraded really talented WRs that can separate and have a catch radius bigger than a frisbee, have knox catch balls all off season until his hands bleed, find a new bruiser back under 50 years old, have Singletary live in Beebees house of speed all summer and then design an offense around his ability to hit frozen ropes all over the field horizontally where it can come out fast and Watch him flourish.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Hey man, this place is all about foolish denial with regard to Allen.

He's by far the most important person in this organization right now, and he's not very good.

Pretending he isn't the problem isn't going to improve the situation.

Pretending he is the only issue and incapable of improvement is what is foolish

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

Yeah.  I remember about a dozen times this year when Rodgers threw the ball randomly backwards to nobody for no reason.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is why Atlanta didn't win Super Bowls with Brett Favre.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You know what I'm jealous of is watching these receivers (Thielen, Thomas, Hopkins) and the catches they make to help the QB. John Brown had a nice year, but can't even execute a relatively simple toe drag.

That missed toe drag and Dukes dropped td really hurt. Alot of people failed yesterday in all sorts of different circumstances. Players & Coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't know if I'd rank his performance at #2:

Watson: 20/25, 247 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 14/55 rush (1 TD), 1 Fumble/0 lost
Cousins: 19/31, 242 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 2/-1 rush
Brees: 26/33, 208 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1/5 rush, 1 Fumble/1 lost
Allen: 24/46, 264 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 9/92 rush, 1/16 rec yds (1 TD), 2 Fumbles/1 lost
Brady: 20/37, 209 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT
Tannehill: 8/15, 72 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4/11 rush, 2 Fumbles/0 lost

Stats aren't everything, but reading the above I'd say he was behind Watson and Cousins, and on par with Brees.

Allen wasn’t the problem yesterday. He should’ve never thrown the ball more than 30 times, not with the way Singletary was running. 

Yeldon shouldve been active as well, those two would’ve combined would provided a much needed boost in the short passing game, knowing the Texans were going to try and pressure Allen into mistakes.

This team could’ve won the east with better in game decision making throughout the year, not just yesterday, as well as actually dressing the best players come game day (Duke and Yeldon almost all season).

I love McDermott’s methods of preparing these guys, keeping them healthy, and getting them to buy into the “team” concept, hard to do with young millionaires.  I have no problems with the way the defense is called 99.9% of the time (3rd and 18!!!!), but his in game management (of the clock, playing not to lose, refusal to get away from slow plodding veteran backs - Tolbert, Ivory, Gore), and just the complete lack of consistent production on the offensive side of the ball in his entire tenure with Buffalo is concerning.

I like to think he still has room to grow as a coach, but I was definitely taken by surprise in his post game comments where he seemingly deflected much of the blame. I am starting to wonder if we aren’t hitting the McDermott ceiling. He’ll have atleast until the end of Josh’s rookie deal to prove he can make this team a legit contender.

sorry, still in a ranty sorta mood I guess. I forgot what it feels like to watch your team choke this hard in the playoffs.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is why Atlanta didn't win Super Bowls with Brett Favre.

Favre threw 4 passes for Atlanta in his career.  There is no correlation to their situations.  He was a pro bowler his first year as a starter.

Edited by Billl
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That missed toe drag and Dukes dropped td really hurt. Alot of people failed yesterday in all sorts of different circumstances. Players & Coaches. 

After watching other playoff teams it's really astounding the playmakers they have. We're just not good enough yet to beat good playoff teams regularly. Those playmakers make a difference at that level.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

Favre threw 4 passes for Atlanta in his career.  There is no correlation to their situations.  He was a pro bowler his first year as a starter.

Yeah.  Check his second vs. third year as a starter.  He improved.  Another nail in the coffin of that other thread.

8 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I don't know if I'd rank his performance at #2:

Watson: 20/25, 247 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 14/55 rush (1 TD), 1 Fumble/0 lost
Cousins: 19/31, 242 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT, 2/-1 rush
Brees: 26/33, 208 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1/5 rush, 1 Fumble/1 lost
Allen: 24/46, 264 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 9/92 rush, 1/16 rec yds (1 TD), 2 Fumbles/1 lost
Brady: 20/37, 209 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT
Tannehill: 8/15, 72 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4/11 rush, 2 Fumbles/0 lost

Stats aren't everything, but reading the above I'd say he was behind Watson and Cousins, and on par with Brees.

I’d put Allen ahead of Brees and just after Watson and Cousins thus far. Brees threw an INT and fumbled. He threw a TD and Allen caught one. Brees has Michael Thomas .Allen’s not better than Brees, but he had a somewhat better performance. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1