John Fox react to Officials overturn 2nd half kickoff from Bills TD to touchback

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

This was actually an excellent discussion.  Didn't realize rule was written "AND".  I was fine with the call at the time, but this doesn't make me feel better. Hasselbeck has perfect analogy with victory formation - you can't just hand the ball over when the rule says you must be down.  

They try to play devil's advocate and say Bills still lost the game, but there is zero percent chance they lose if that is called a TD.  The shame really is the ref got it right to begin, then caved to everyone saying "Oh my God everyone knows what he meant to do"  As they mention - it's real dicey territory when officials don't follow the rule as written and decide to alter calls based on what they consider intent.  In this case it may have been obvious, but what about other situations that may not be so clear cut.  That's why the rules are there.

Ive been screaming this all year that it is a live ball yet as soon as the ball touches the end zone etc and the guy doesnt run out or field it the refs blow it dead. It is a live freakin ball!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Ive been screaming this all year that it is a live ball yet as soon as the ball touches the end zone etc and the guy doesnt run out or field it the refs blow it dead. It is a live freakin ball!!! 

Actually the rule now is that if a kick lands in the end zone without being fielded it is a touchback

39 minutes ago, egd said:

No, it was ruled he gave himself up after a conference. Only if the officials rule a score on the field is there a review.

I thought the ref with two arms up in the air meant a score.  Does it really just mean he's confused?

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with others who have said this was a valuable/interesting conversation (in the linked video).

Here is the key: the NFL sent "reserve" (?) officials onto the field to TELL the game officials how to rule, and they did this based on their own interpretation and invention of the rule book.

That's not how it's supposed to work.  

The officials coming off the sideline who reversed the call on the field effectively said, even if they don't realize it: "Never mind what the rule book actually says; we know what the player's intent was and in the spirit of the rules, we are going to rule this is not a touchdown."

Talk about Mickey Mouse! 

What a load of horseshit that is!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Actually the rule now is that if a kick lands in the end zone without being fielded it is a touchback

When did that change? Man they are taking so much away from special teams its unreal. Do you have a link to the rule? 

Edited by billsfan_34

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

These guys are correct.  The returner didn't know the rule and he screwed up. By rule, it should have been a TD for us. 

exactly when  a guy balks by stepping off with the wrong foot they dont say well I know you meant to do that with the other foot. 

the league is corrupt

46 minutes ago, egd said:

No, it was ruled he gave himself up after a conference. Only if the officials rule a score on the field is there a review.

he threw his hands up for a touchdown and should have been a safety at the end of the day

Edited by CardinalScotts

I for one was amazed at how little attention this got on the official NFL channels i.e. Gamepass and all.  As it was a play-off game it was shown live on a national (Belgian) channel over here and the local commentator was straight away adament it was totally incomprehensible how a 100% valid touchdown was ruled away by assistent referees.  He was still going on about it in the fourth quarter, and obviously at the end when we lost, how the Bills got outright robbed in a manner he hadn't seen in his 30 years of NFL reporting.

Seems there was a lot more sugarcoating on the official NFL channels going on, with the "common sense prevailed" crap...

Anyway, best to get the old cardboard box from the attic with the Music Ciry Miracle in and add this one to it...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

I did not see this posted, if I missed it please delete.  Another reason to be grumpy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bJ7s40eey8&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3FGh-OuiC_1abYGuf5ze4VYtrXsgZ3rbdSrC22MLf_YNCJH_LobQSRV6wt

After taking a day to process, this play bothers me a lot more. At the time YE OLE wasn’t too upset as it did seem like common sense that he was giving himself up. But that said, there’s been many instances where weird things happen and they still call it by the book. I mean we all remember Desean Jackson’s bone headed play some years ago. Clearly his intent was to cross the goal line, but he didn’t and they ruled it as it actually happened:

And perhaps the more relevant point is... if you go by “intent” and everyone stops playing without it being downed... this happens (and they obviously did NOT take this TD off the board for the Rams... and they wouldn’t have yesterday either if the Texans ran it back and everyone just “assumed” he gave himself up without actually doing it.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Somebody ask Kapernick for his interpretation...

He's busy giving his interpretation on American imperialism. Anywho, it was a blown call but it is what it is and we can't change it.

Saints fans are pissed too. We should just do what the John Bender suggested in the Breakfast Club. I think our fans and their fans should get together and go bowling.

There will either be a rewriting of the rule, or the league will stress to teams that the next time it happens, the kicking team will be awarded a touchdown if the same thing happens.  And Buffalo remains screwed over.  It other news, the New Orleans Saints got screwed over again by an uncalled pass interference.  This time it was Kyle Rudolph's obvious push off that allowed him to make the game winning touchdown.

8 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

There will either be a rewriting of the rule, or the league will stress to teams that the next time it happens, the kicking team will be awarded a touchdown if the same thing happens.  And Buffalo remains screwed over.  

This is 100% true.  I also hope to learn more about the men in black, and what, if anything, should be their official roles in NFL playoff games.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Again, if Roberts does this the TD stands and the frantic conference never happens. 

That's one of the questions I had. If it would have been the other nway around and Roberts did this, do the refs overturn it like they did for the Texans? I'm not sure they do.

38 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

There will either be a rewriting of the rule, or the league will stress to teams that the next time it happens, the kicking team will be awarded a touchdown if the same thing happens.  And Buffalo remains screwed over.  It other news, the New Orleans Saints got screwed over again by an uncalled pass interference.  This time it was Kyle Rudolph's obvious push off that allowed him to make the game winning touchdown.

There doesn’t need to be a rule change, the rules make perfect sense. The guy was a knucklehead and made a mistake and the league covered it up to protect their ratings. ***** bull####. Nfl is rigged and has been for a long time. Tired of the bull####. 

• Like (+1) 2