John Fox react to Officials overturn 2nd half kickoff from Bills TD to touchback

15 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I did not see this posted, if I missed it please delete.  Another reason to be grumpy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bJ7s40eey8&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3FGh-OuiC_1abYGuf5ze4VYtrXsgZ3rbdSrC22MLf_YNCJH_LobQSRV6w

This was actually an excellent discussion.  Didn't realize rule was written "AND".  I was fine with the call at the time, but this doesn't make me feel better. Hasselbeck has perfect analogy with victory formation - you can't just hand the ball over when the rule says you must be down.  

They try to play devil's advocate and say Bills still lost the game, but there is zero percent chance they lose if that is called a TD.  The shame really is the ref got it right to begin, then caved to everyone saying "Oh my God everyone knows what he meant to do"  As they mention - it's real dicey territory when officials don't follow the rule as written and decide to alter calls based on what they consider intent.  In this case it may have been obvious, but what about other situations that may not be so clear cut.  That's why the rules are there.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, SomeDudeAtHome said:

Agreed 100%. There will be a rule change because of this just like the "no goal" rule change. 

I don't understand why there should be a rule change. It's clearly spelled out, and putting your knee in the dirt is incredibly simple. 

If anything, this is a result of officiating becoming incredibly lazy and sloppy during the regular season, and that they need to tighten it up.

Edited by sodbuster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sodbuster said:

I don't understamd why there should be a rule change. It's clearly spelled out, and putting your knee in the dirt is incredibly simple. 

I agree that they shouldn't change/update the rule... but they will.  By changing the rule, they will justify the way they handled the play in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t care too much, at the time, that they went with “intent” but that clip got me all kinds of fired up.  

We 100% got robbed.  It’s literally insane how that unfolded. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Players should not need to bend their knee all the way to the turf unless the league is willing to pay more money

Image result for bend the knee gif"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

The Victory formation analogy is faulty.  The ball is in the field of play.  The QB has to down it to end the play.  For a touchback (as opposed to a Center snap to the QB) the ball can just hit the ground--no one needs to "down it".

• Like (+1) 1

The "fake spike" comparison was spot on.  Also, who knows if it would have been a trick play?  Give the safe signal, walk it slowly out of the endzone, and take off and run it back for a TD.

Fact is, the "safe" signal is NOT a legal NFL signal and the Bills were ROBBED of that TD and probably the game.  Common sense should play no part in what happened on that play.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No rule change. They will just reinforce that if the returner catches the ball, he will need to take a knee or take the ball out of the endzone. 

I mean, they changed the rule a few years ago that if the kickoff lands in the endzone it's not a live ball and an automatic touxhback. I guess the only reason guys are catching it when they intend to take a knee is for practice catching?

The guy screwed up.  When you screw up, you need to pay the price for that.  Touchdown.  

I get that they didn't want to determine the outcome of the game by giving us the touchdown.  But that's what should have happened.  I felt a little sad for the guy when we had the points, that I'd rather we earn them by playing football.  But now that we lost the game, I'm pretty pissed they whiffed on this call.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Victory formation analogy is faulty.  The ball is in the field of play.  The QB has to down it to end the play.  For a touchback (as opposed to a Center snap to the QB) the ball can just hit the ground--no one needs to "down it".

But it was touched and that initiates the sequence.

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The "fake spike" comparison was spot on.  Also, who knows if it would have been a trick play?  Give the safe signal, walk it slowly out of the endzone, and take off and run it back for a TD.

Fact is, the "safe" signal is NOT a legal NFL signal and the Bills were ROBBED of that TD and the game.  Common sense should play no part in what happened on that play.

The only argument you could make was that by throwing it to the ref it was an act of "giving himself up." 

Up until that point it could have been a trick play. But throwing it to the ref and walking away from the ball is a pretty clear indication that wasn't faking it.

My question? Why did he even catch the ball to begin with? Players just move away a lot of times now and let it bounce in the end zone. Seems there is no good reason to even touch the ball as a returner if you are not planning to bring it out.

• Like (+1) 1

Agree with them completely. A refs job is to enforce the rules. Not intent. At worst, they should have let the play stand as called and let NY review it as they do all scoring plays. Let it play out Much like they did on Josh’s first fumble call where his knee was down. 

I also wonder why McD didn’t challenge it after they wiped the score. I’m not going to roast him for it because everyone (including the officials) was confused. Also, not sure they would’ve given us the points anyway. 

Edited by TheProcess