Josh needs to work on the fumbling

Whatever Josh Allen is going to do in this offseason with Palmer, et al. he’s gotta put some emphasis on his grip or lack thereof on the football.

Yesterday’s fumble came at a key point and the replay showed that the defender didn’t even touch the ball, it just dropped out of Josh’s hand like the hot potato of metaphor.

The looseness with ball security has been an ongoing issue this season. He gets in trouble, gets pressured and becomes clumsy with his grip. That may be the Number 1 issue that he has to work on that is a weakness entirely his own, imo. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UConn James said:

Patently obvious. But for whatever reason, it simply hasn’t been an area of emphasis by him or the coaching. 

How would you possibly know that?

The coaching staff may have been harping on this all year and he simply doesn't respond under stress in the midst of a play.

I assure you they are trying to fix his horrible footwork but he reverts to very bad footwork all the time in the heat of the moment.

His fumble problem is largely due to how he often holds the ball while running.  He keeps it in a throwing grip in a single hand, waving it around outside his frame.  That is not enough protection when defenders get close.

He needs to tuck the ball in and wrap his non-holding hand over the ball and protect it much better, like a RB would.

I'm sure he knows this and has been told this by coaches.  The trick is finding a way to make him actually do this in the heat of battle.

This is an example of why inaccurate QBs rarely become accurate.  It's mostly down to footwork and throwing motion and in the heat of battle, they revert to an instinctive "wrong" way of doing things.  It's very tough to make them do what they have been taught in those moments of stress.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The coaching staff may have been harping on this all year and he simply doesn't respond under stress in the midst of a play.

I assure you they are trying to fix his horrible footwork but he reverts to very bad footwork all the time in the heat of the moment.

His fumble problem is largely due to how he often holds the ball while running.  He keeps it in a throwing grip in a single hand, waving it around outside his frame.  That is not enough protection when defenders get close.

He needs to tuck the ball in and wrap his non-holding hand over the ball and protect it much better, like a RB would.

I'm sure he knows this and has been told this by coaches.  The trick is finding a way to make him actually do this in the heat of battle.

This is an example of why inaccurate QBs rarely become accurate.  It's mostly down to footwork and throwing motion and in the heat of battle, they revert to an instinctive "wrong" way of doing things.  It's very tough to make them do what they have been taught in those moments of stress.

I can agree with you on your post.  It is tough to retrain yourself.  I hope Josh can and I believe he will try to do just that.

We'll find out next year.

Just now, TAinLA said:

Absolutely and its not hard to do.  Next year opposing defenses will be making more of an effort to get the ball out of his single handed grasp.

They’ve been making the effort since week 3 or so. CIN players mentioned seeing the issue on film. This has to be solved by Josh ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Mechanics are muscle memory. They don't do much work on mechanics In season... you have game week prep(film), installing game plan, putting in few new concepts, and game practice prep... Not enough time to work on mechanics

That's all off-season work for the most part and takes sometimes a few years for the muscle memory to click

Aaron Rodgers had horrible Mechanics coming out and got to sit for 3 years to correct them

It's not a 1 day curve and I would bet Josh's lower body Mechanics come back much improved next year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Whatever Josh Allen is going to do in this offseason with Palmer, et al. he’s gotta put some emphasis on his grip or lack thereof on the football.

Yesterday’s fumble came at a key point and the replay showed that the defender didn’t even touch the ball, it just dropped out of Josh’s hand like the hot potato of metaphor.

The looseness with ball security has been an ongoing issue this season. He gets in trouble, gets pressured and becomes clumsy with his grip. That may be the Number 1 issue that he has to work on that is a weakness entirely his own, imo. 

he coulda easily fumbled on  the td catch..he woulda got in anyway by just securing the ball and plowing in.