Is there basis for a hypothetical lawsuit against the NFL?

Could the Buffalo Bills or the city of Buffalo, aka its fans, sue the NFL over the kickoff TD that wasn’t a TD? As pointed out it was clearly against the rules in the rule book to overturn the call and they did so anyways. They rewarded for something that was meant to be done rather than what was done. Any lawyers on this site? 

A bitter and slow Sunday... obviously lol

Edited by Do The Reich Thing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, Do The Reich Thing said:

Could the Buffalo Bills or the city of Buffalo, aka its fans, sue the NFL over the kickoff TD that wasn’t a TD? As pointed out it was clearly against the rules in the rule book to overturn the call and they did so anyways. They rewarded for something that was meant to be done rather than what was done. Any lawyers on this site? 

I think someone tried to sue the NFL before.  They lost... because the NFL is an entertainment business was the answer.  In other words... Just because you think the WWF might be real doesn't mean it is.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Wow.

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think someone tried to sue the NFL before.  They lost... because the NFL is an entertainment business was the answer.  In other words... Just because you think the WWF might be real doesn't mean it is.

I appreciate this response. It was an honest question and thought because the official rule book for the NFL was not enforced like it was supposed to. 

And what exactly would be the point? Games over. This ain’t the New Orleans kind of play that sealed the game and a trip to the super bowl. 
The refs were bad. And they definitely hosed us on some calls. 
In the end buffalo lost that game. They deserved the loss. They played like crap. They coached like crap. The NFL is not going to change. I’m not even sure they can fix the officiating at this point unless we review everything. 

31 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Yes, there is at least one lawyer on this site.  And the answer is simple: sure we can sue.  Absolutely.  But will we prevail in the lawsuit?  Not a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

My rage over that play has only grown since yesterday. I feel your pain. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Let's not be like Saints fans.  Be better, not bitter. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yes, there is at least one lawyer on this site.  And the answer is simple: sure we can sue.  Absolutely.  But will we prevail in the lawsuit?  Not a chance. 

But settle for “one billion dollars...” *insert dr evil* haha

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

My rage over that play has only grown since yesterday. I feel your pain. 

Cheers to you friend. I’m tilted

6 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Let's not be like Saints fans.  Be better, not bitter. 

Screw that! The NFL is corrupt!

28 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I didn't like the ending of a movie I saw recently I think I am going to sue the producer

There’s an official rule book on how things have to be done in movies?

30 minutes ago, Foxx said:

ah yes... when something doesn't go your way, sue, sue, sue. the broken American mindset.

It’s worked for many in this capitalistic society 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

I'm a lawyer.  

If the Saints and their fans couldn't win last year, the Bills and their fans wouldn't win.  

In theory, to win in court, you have to have a right of some kind that was violated.   A constitutional right, a statutory right, a contract right, something.  If we have anything as fans, it's a contract right.   But what we have is a right to entertainment, not a right to an outcome.   We got the entertainment.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm a lawyer.  

If the Saints and their fans couldn't win last year, the Bills and their fans wouldn't win.  

In theory, to win in court, you have to have a right of some kind that was violated.   A constitutional right, a statutory right, a contract right, something.  If we have anything as fans, it's a contract right.   But what we have is a right to entertainment, not a right to an outcome.   We got the entertainment.  

My man... thank you for the explanation.