AFC playoff teams were 4-0 versus NE this season

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I get all that and agree, for the most part. However, I believe the glimpses of the really important improvements I saw this year will become even more tangible next year with additional poeces added around Allen. It may be a leap of faith for some; however, I said I would give Beane three full seasons of roster moves. If at the end of next year we are looking at much of the same, then I will me more than willing to accept my faith was misplaced.

I agree. Whether one liked their decision to dismantle the previous offense or not, it’s what they chose to do. They did not believe in those core players to become big winners , regardless of their rank as an offense. Some were traded for draft picks, others were eventually jettisoned. This coach and GM wanted to rid the locker room of the stench from years of mediocrity. Some players had to go. The offensive line and two WRs plus TE were turned over from last seasons stop gap lineup. It’s still not complete, as RT, #1 WR and an effective RB2 are needed. They’ve got cap room and draft picks available for these needs, and perhaps to keep the defense intact with an upgrade at pass rusher. This will be an interesting and key offseason in this rebuild, as Josh Allen should be heading into year 3 with a good set of playmakers around him. Critical year upcoming for Allen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Best way to look at it. Everything has been progression so far.  I have no reason to believe we don't continue on this trajectory.  The Bills should probably be favorites to win the division next year.

To paraphrase the late great Prince, tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1989.

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree. Whether one liked their decision to dismantle the previous offense or not, it’s what they chose to do. They did not believe in those core players to become big winners , regardless of their rank as an offense. Some were traded for draft picks, others were eventually jettisoned. This coach and GM wanted to rid the locker room of the stench from years of mediocrity. Some players had to go. The offensive line and two WRs plus TE were turned over from last seasons stop gap lineup. It’s still not complete, as RT, #1 WR and an effective RB2 are needed. They’ve got cap room and draft picks available for these needs, and perhaps to keep the defense intact with an upgrade at pass rusher. This will be an interesting and key offseason in this rebuild, as Josh Allen should be heading into year 3 with a good set of playmakers around him. Critical year upcoming for Allen. 

Here's the thing about the reasoning of the highlighted wrt the offense:

the only starting personnel they really got rid of from the 2016 offense were the WR's........a unit which was incredibly banged up during that 2016 season and didn't contribute much.    

And yet at Rex dismissal that 2016 offense was top 10 in scoring, had lead the NFL in explosive plays(over 100 plays of 20+ yards each year) and rushing for two consecutive seasons.......AND achieved what appears to be McD's ultimate achievement by protecting the football better than anyone in the league had in 40 years.     

Why not just keep that offense?????   

McD hired Leslie Frazier to run HIS defense not Frazier's defense...............why couldn't he hire someone to run Roman's offense?   It's not like Anthony Lynn had been in it for years.

Not doing so made zero sense............they basically returned 9 starters from a PROVEN successful offense and had to start from scratch and they haven't been worth a ***** since.:doh:

Contrast that to a guy like Mike Tomlin..........who was a DC in Minnesota running a 4-3 Tampa 2 when the Steelers hired him.........but he stuck with the Steelers existing 3-4 even though it was coming off a down year.    Would have been easy for him to put his own stamp on that team but instead he chose to do what would help them win big sooner.   

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Best way to look at it. Everything has been progression so far.  I have no reason to believe we don't continue on this trajectory.  The Bills should probably be favorites to win the division next year.

To paraphrase the late great Prince, tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1989.

Not true.  Record under McD was up a little then down then up.  Defense has been consistently good...........offense has been consistently awful.   They are 25-25 thru 50 games. 

I think McD has done a lot of good things but like Marrone and Rex before him he's been a HC with success on only one side of the ball.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If I asked the average fan in 2017 where the Ravens and Chiefs would stack up in the AFC in two years.........they would have said those teams were getting old and they'd be rebuilding.   

If you make good decisions you can turn around an entire team in a hurry.

Meanwhile we are hoping that year 4 of McDermott becomes year 1 of competent offensive football.  

There is nothing disingenuous about not being accepting of that.

The basis of your sarcastic post to my OP....as evidenced by the excuses above.........was that you think it's understandable and OK that 3 years into the regime they continue to be one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL.    

The existence of that kind of deeply engrained excuse making is why I made this thread.  

That is not really a fair comparison. The Chiefs and Ravens were solid franchises with a winning culture already established and continuity in their front offices and coaching staffs. All they needed to do were replace a few old parts. Do you really think if KC hadn't drafted Mahomes and stuck with Alex Smith for a few more years they weren't still an annual playoff team? They might not have been vying for a Super Bowl, but they still would have been a good team. Same with the Ravens, if they kept Flacco instead of Lamar. They'd still be a playoff-level team. No one in 2017 would have been saying they needed a total rebuild from the studs up.

On the other hand, the entire Bills organization: ownership, front office, coaching, culture, talent-level, salary cap, etc. had been a complete mess for the better part of 20 years. They had to clean out the entire front office and football administration levels, had to fix the salary cap, turnover almost the entire roster, get the team out of a sustained losing culture/mindset, etc., etc. 

You cannot compare those two situations and say look how quickly they turned it around. Of course they did, they had a hell of a lot less work to do to turn it around.  

After a 17-year playoff drought, we have made the playoffs two out of the last three years. No, none of us are satisfied with just making the playoffs, but how can you say it is not a huge step in the right direction. 

Obviously this is an our staff sucks and needs to be fired because they picked Josh Allen and not Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson post. Those two QBs were placed onto teams that were already built. Josh has had to be part of the build of the entire team here; a very different circumstance for the QB, the coaches, and the FO. 

Edited by folz

14 minutes ago, folz said:

That is not really a fair comparison. The Chiefs and Ravens were solid franchises with a winning culture already established and continuity in their front offices and coaching staffs. All they needed to do were replace a few old parts. Do you really think if KC hadn't drafted Mahomes and stuck with Alex Smith for a few more years they weren't still an annual playoff team? They might not have been vying for a Super Bowl, but they still would have been a good team. Same with the Ravens, if they kept Flacco instead of Lamar. They'd still be a playoff-level team. No one in 2017 would have been saying they needed a total rebuild from the studs up.

On the other hand, the entire Bills organization: ownership, front office, coaching, culture, talent-level, salary cap, etc. had been a complete mess for the better part of 20 years. They had to clean out the entire front office and football administration levels, had to fix the salary cap, turnover almost the entire roster, get the team out of a sustained losing culture/mindset, etc., etc. 

You cannot compare those two situations and say look how quickly they turned it around. Of course they did, they had a hell of a lot less work to do to turn it around.  

After a 17-year playoff drought, we have made the playoffs two years in a row. No, none of us are satisfied with just making the playoffs, but how can you say it is not a huge step in the right direction. 

Obviously this is an our staff sucks and needs to be fired because they picked Josh Allen and not Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson post. Those two QBs were placed onto teams that were already built. Josh has had to be part of the build of the entire team here; a very different circumstance for the QB, the coaches, and the FO. 

Ok.   Remember when the Eagles fired Chip Kelly and were considered a disaster that had given away stars DeSean Jackson and Shady McCoy and Evan Mathis for basically nothing?   

Then after one season of rebuild they became the NFC's best team and won the SB in the second year after Kelly. 

There are just so many excuses made by the mother hens around here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

No one thought they'd be this bad offensively after all the changes in 3 off-seasons.  But it happened and must be fixed for this team to take a leap forward in 2020.  

It has been two off-seasons for Beane. This will be his third. I felt it would be reasonable to give him three full years on a rebuild and that is what I am going to do.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I mean.........except for the Bills.

The Bills lost this game in December when they didn't take care of business at home and couldn't salvage a split against a fading rival.

McDermott is 0-6 versus Belichick and the Bills have averaged an unconscionably low 10 points of offense in those 6 losses.?

Until THAT division dynamic changes..........and there's no guarantee the Pats won't be better next year........then road games batting crowd noise and the inherent home cooking officiating disadvantages etc.. are the ceiling for this team.  

McDaboll and Beane gotta' fix this sh*t this offseason because the pushover 2019 schedule is unlikely to be repeated.

I believe that anyone who is willing to take a hard and clear sighted look at themselves can improve

I also believe that McDermott and especially Daboll are simply out coached by the Hoodie*****(did I use enough?).

I think Bill Belicheck owns Daboll’s soul and is in his head, but the same seems to be true with regard to Frazier/McDermott