Duke Williams played more snaps than Cole Beasley

HappyDays

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The throw was in the right place for only Duke to catch it but it wasn't a perfect throw by any means, he should have caught it but in no way it was a jumpball  pass. So yes blind or high or completely mistaken .  It wasn't an easy catch because the defender leaves his feet and comes across Duke's body. Duke is also at full stretch and twisting. Watch the replay in slow mo if you cant get this point, or just keep up the hate for Duke because he's the only reason they lost the game right?

I never said it was a perfect throw. 

I never said it was an easy catch.

I never said Duke was the only reason we lost.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If he is on the roster next year we have not done a good job in the offseason.

I was thinking that too. We need a true number one duke had a few shots and didn’t come up for us. A Mike evens or Diggs make those catches in big games 

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree he should have caught that TD pass. Allen delivered the ball right where it needed to be. At the same time. Guys drop passes. Especially other guys on this team. It happens. Duke appears to actually have a decent ability to make some tough catches. Him and Allen should put in some two a days over the summer out at the ranch in Firebaugh. Get those hands ready for next season.

A WR the size of Williams gives Allen's more often then not high velocity throws a larger catching radius. 

I agree,  some time spent together building chemistry during the off season could prove very beneficial to the Bills O/ team IMO.

56 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Clearly? His knee was down and was touched before he got past the line. 

He got the benefit of the doubt, just like

Hopkins did later in the game. 

What were you watching? His knee hits, no one is touching him, his knee comes back off the ground and is contacted. When his knee hits again he's past the first down marker. They even came back from commercial and showed a freeze frame of when he first got touched and he was clearly off the ground? Puff, puff, pass.

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If you ONLY watch Bills games and only compare Dukes catches to catches by our other receivers then I guess you’d be super impressed by him. 

He made solid catches that a lot of other receivers make on a weekly basis. Good for him. Amazing or great though? Nah I don’t think so.

Amazing? Really? I guess you like to play real fast and loose with that adjective. 

Oh Bang, your misguided hatred for Duke is so adorable....

8 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The throw was in the right place for only Duke to catch it but it wasn't a perfect throw by any means, he should have caught it but in no way it was a jumpball  pass. So yes blind or high or completely mistaken .  It wasn't an easy catch because the defender leaves his feet and comes across Duke's body. Duke is also at full stretch and twisting. Watch the replay in slow mo if you cant get this point, or just keep up the hate for Duke because he's the only reason they lost the game right?

Just watch saints and Vikings today those are routine catches all day 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This is pretty wild. Duke goes from the inactive list to playing more snaps than our #2 receiver. What a bizarre game plan.

McD's game roster decisions are head-scratchers.  Presumably, putting D. Williams on the 46 man was an admittance of needing a big bodied receiver who could make contested catches against a weakened Houston secondary.  Yet, where was that all season long against their weak schedule?  Did they only figure out that they needed this element?  It's not as if the other WR's were injured and Duke was the last man standing.  

It reminds me of last year when they went with tall slow receivers who did not separate.  By the end of the season those guys were shelved and in came Ray-Ray McCloud and Isaiah McKenzie.  McBeane are not forward thinkers on offense and largely react because they can't see where the league is going nor allocate resources to that point.  

It would have been nice to have DK Metcalf yesterday and not Cody Ford, who rarely meets a DE he can not get his a$$ kicked by. 

35 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

You didn't see the catches he made yesterday? They were better than any of the other catches that we had all game from anyone else and possibly even some of the better catches we had all season

The best Bills catch yesterday was by Singletary who was blanket covered. He hand caught that absolute laser.

10 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The throw was in the right place for only Duke to catch it but it wasn't a perfect throw by any means, he should have caught it but in no way it was a jumpball  pass. 

Are you trying to say it should have been thrown like a jump ball? That would give the defender a better chance of breaking up the pass. IMO, Allen pretty much put it exactly where it should have been. Place a little high and to the outside where Duke either catches it or it is incomplete. Very little risk for an INT or tipped up in the air and picked. NFL receivers, even fourth stringers are perfectly capable of twisting their bodies and making catches like that. Heck they even catch them and tap their feet in bounds sometimes for even greater degree of difficulty. 

37 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Put your best players on the field and use motion, then you don’t have Patrick DiMarco trying time catch jump balls. 

DiMarco may have been a world class middle school volleyball player for all you know. That could be our go to play next season. Just testing the waters.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Just watch saints and Vikings today those are routine catches all day 

Ok Sure, routine catch. Would Brown have caught it? or even Hopkins? Not with the DB going through them. Maybe TO in his prime. but is not a routine catch whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Are you trying to say it should have been thrown like a jump ball? That would give the defender a better chance of breaking up the pass. IMO, Allen pretty much put it exactly where it should have been. Place a little high and to the outside where Duke either catches it or it is incomplete. Very little risk for an INT or tipped up in the air and picked. NFL receivers, even fourth stringers are perfectly capable of twisting their bodies and making catches like that. Heck they even catch them and tap their feet in bounds sometimes for even greater degree of difficulty. 

No it wasn't a jump ball pass (nor should it have been) that's what the other guy described it as. It wasn't a bad throw by Josh at all. It was a great throw and it had to be a fastball to get it there. I agree with everything you said in your 2nd to 4th sentence  But saying that that 4th stringers make that catch with ease is lunacy.

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

But saying that that 4th stringers make that catch with ease is lunacy.

Duke did everything he needed to on the play to make the catch. He ran a good route. Got good position. Turned and stretched his body. Just failed to grasp the ball. Everything Duke did leading up to not completing the catch tells me he is perfectly capable of making that play. He just let it get by him. Not lunacy at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I wanted Duke to play over Foster and based on yesterday that still looks like the right call. I just don't get playing him over Beasley. It's almost as bad as handing the ball off to Gore and giving Singletary zero rushes in overtime. Really weird personnel decisions but I don't know if Daboll or McDermott is responsible.

Happy Days, well said.  If he’s eligible, Foster should go to the practice squad or cut him as you know we’re picking a WR high in the draft.  I like Williams although not obsessed like some on this board with him either way.  Beasley should yes, be a higher target though.  Someone said he has bad hands, and that is not true.  He’s had bad throws to him by Allen and that is just Allen growing as a QB.  He’s also made some incredible throws.  As for now until after the draft, the order should be Brown and Beasley, and situationally McKenzie will be third and sometimes Williams will be #3.  They have different skill sets for different situations.  Once again we draft hopefully a true game changing #1 WR then I d rather have McKenzie fielding kick offs and punts over Roberts because he can do both.  I Roberts did a very good job, but the room will be crowded after April,  and this supposedly will be one of the deepest WR drafts over the last 5 years.

I know I’m getting off book, but now that it’s over might as well start talking about the draft and free agency.  If we bundle picks, move up if there is a trade available, then we might be able to get the top WR, and will really add to this offense.

Again, nice take Happy Days. (Besides I like you’re avatar that movie was hilarious).