Duke Williams played more snaps than Cole Beasley

HappyDays

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I wanted Duke to play over Foster and based on yesterday that still looks like the right call. I just don't get playing him over Beasley. It's almost as bad as handing the ball off to Gore and giving Singletary zero rushes in overtime. Really weird personnel decisions but I don't know if Daboll or McDermott is responsible.

Houston has been terrible against slot receivers all season. That is questionable game planning.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Fans got what they wanted, and not surprisingly, it didn't work.

Silly statement, you’re better than that. 

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

He made some extremely difficult and key catches as well, one in particular wiped out by a penalty. He was also the only one targeted in those situations where they needed a big target. Josh also had the second highest passing yards of the season. 

So tell us, how Foster would’ve been better...?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Duke was the one WR I had confidence in yesterday.   Nevermind the absurd catch he made that got called back due to holding.  

Brown and Beasley were a nice upgrade for this offseason.   Now it’s time to upgrade again.  

Brown should be our outside speed threat.  Beasley a slot guy.   Let’s now get Allen some true playmakers with an actual catch radius. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

100% disagree, and completely discounts the big third down catches he had to pick up first downs. Duke was active as he should’ve been all year. Made some big catches and Josh clearly trusted him to make a play. Yes, unacceptably dropped the TD, but name a receiver that hasn’t dropped a TD. It happens sometimes. Doesn’t mean he shouldn't be active. 

With that said, we definitely need to upgrade the weapons Josh has at his disposal next year. If Beane doesn’t neglect offensive weapons this offseason, guys like Bob Foster, McKenzie, and Duke will have a tough time making the team next year. Only receiver guarantees should be Brown and Beasley. Everyone else could be upgraded. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I wanted Duke to play over Foster and based on yesterday that still looks like the right call. I just don't get playing him over Beasley. It's almost as bad as handing the ball off to Gore and giving Singletary zero rushes in overtime. Really weird personnel decisions but I don't know if Daboll or McDermott is responsible.

I get Duke playing over Foster.  To have him be the featured receiver over Brown and Beasley is crazy though.  You ride the guys who got you there.  Brown, Beasley, and Singletary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TPS said:

He made some extremely difficult and key catches as well, one in particular wiped out by a penalty. He was also the only one targeted in those situations where they needed a big target. Josh also had the second highest passing yards of the season. 

So tell us, how Foster would’ve been better...?

Yeah I thought he made some catches guys like Mckenzie and Foster dont make.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Duke played really well yesterday. He should have been playing all year. On the potential TD he "dropped" his left arm was being held and was a clear PI call. And he made some tough catches that nobody else on the team is capable of making. Having said that, Beasley should have been in a lot more too. I just don't understand the fascination with playing guys like Gore, Lee Smith, DiMarco, Kroft late in a playoff game when you have better options on the sidelines. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, billsfan714 said:

Personally, every time I saw Kroft come on the field I cringed. He was useless. 

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I get Duke playing over Foster.  To have him be the featured receiver over Brown and Beasley is crazy though.  You ride the guys who got you there.  Brown, Beasley, and Singletary.

What makes you think he was featured? Most likely the coverage dictated a throw to the #3 or 4 option. 

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Produces what, exactly?

More yards and first downs than Foster would have provided.  More tough catches than any other receiver on the roster makes.  Yeah, he had some drops.  So did all the receivers all  year.  I'm not saying Duke is the answer here.  All I am saying and have ever said is... that he is better than Foster and should have started in Fosters place all season.

• Like (+1) 2

I’d also think he played well enough to warrant a spot on the roster next year.   If I just go by what I “think” we’ll do..

1st Round WR

Brown

Beasley

Duke

McKenzie or Foster

Roberts

Given the strength of this draft, is rather double dip and take a WR in RD 1 and 2, especially given the fact the position has shown production in rookie years recently. 

1st Round WR

2nd Round WR

Brown

Beasley

Duke

Roberts

Use FA to address signing our own and any other holes.  

RB in the 3rd round or 2nd via trade up. 

Edited by SCBills

I won't argue that Duke is a WR4 if we had a true #1. And I support Duke. Given what we have on our current Roster, I would put him at#3. He earned his playing time and did well with it. Don't think there is any debate there.

If he's #4 next season,  I am good with it. Foster needs to go. Hasn't done squat since last season.

Just get a True #1.....

15 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Produces what, exactly?

Are you serious? Are you forgetting the several huge catches he made? It's not like he was wide open and dropped the ball; it was a very difficult catch. He's not an experienced #1 receiver and you act like that is the standard or expectation for him. It's bizarre. He caught balls yesterday that no one else on the team would have. The treatment he's getting on here from some posters who keep driving the point in multiple threads is crazy. The would-be TD would have been an amazing catch and people would be saying we found our #1 receiver. No one is expecting him to be that, and yet you act like he is a total failure if he is not that.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Also, to me it looked like Josh was looking for him often in key situations, which also explains the # of targets. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The one in the EZ was broken up by the DB.

It was a great pass, a good attempted catch and a great play by the DB.

Blaming the loss on Duke is STUPID 

Though I want a receiver who comes down with that, no other current Bills receiver would have come as close to catching that ball as Duke did.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Are you serious? Are you forgetting the several huge catches he made? It's not like he was wide open and dropped the ball; it was a very difficult catch. He's not an experienced #1 receiver and you act like that is the standard or expectation for him. It's bizarre. He caught balls yesterday that no one else on the team would have. The treatment he's getting on here from some posters who keep driving the point in multiple threads is crazy. The would-be TD would have been an amazing catch and people would be saying we found our #1 receiver. No one is expecting him to be that, and yet you act like he is a total failure if he is not that.

The critics need to explain why Foster would’ve been better, but don’t hold your breath...

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not saying the Duke is going to be a league superstar at the WR position.

What I will say is the kid shows potential.

How much remains to be seen.

Impressive for a player that has barely sniffed the playing field IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Beasley is unreliable. He has suspect hands, and his knee down before the marker on 3rd and long is a perfect example of his limitations in big spots. It’s the reason he was phased out of the offense in Dallas.

He is not now, nor has he ever been, a reliable “Edelman-like” player.

He got the first down......