Locker Room Cleanout - interviews

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, egd said:

A good athlete learns from his mistakes after losing a game and quickly clears his mind. Dwelling on a game does no good.

A loss in the regular season is one thing where you have no other choice but to get ready for next week. Win or lose, yes Pats were already onto next week. 

But now the season is over. A good athlete will take this experience, realize what he needs improve on and get to work. . It should add fuel to his fire. That’s his job and whatever motivates him to be a better qb next year is good to me. 

Josh Allen now has 28 starts. He was below-average in every passing metric other than sack avoidance this year. If he's going to be something special, wouldn't we know by now? Is there any quarterback who made a major leap after two below-average seasons? Maybe it's possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, egd said:

Chip on his shoulder?? Won't be over the loss until next season?? New England players get over the loss by the next day, and are onto the next game. I know I am over the loss. I don't let myself become emotionally invested in a game. Josh needs to learn to maintain his focus. The Houston game means nothing.

So when is the next game, you mean preseason next year? Who do they even start with egd? I hope he thinks about it every time he is trying to clean up his footwork and train in the off season, hope I am not alone in this.

Edited by billrooter

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This can’t be - I read right on here that the players don’t care and will be off on their millionaire vacations and only the fans really care.

Especially because we coddled them by showing up at the airport - what could we be thinking.

Duh!

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This can’t be - I read right on here that the players don’t care and will be off on their millionaire vacations and only the fans really care.

Especially because we coddled them by showing up at the airport - what could we be thinking.

Duh!

Some players are wired that way... not this one though

12 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Josh Allen now has 28 starts. He was below-average in every passing metric other than sack avoidance this year. If he's going to be something special, wouldn't we know by now? Is there any quarterback who made a major leap after two below-average seasons? Maybe it's possible.

He’s a tough one to gauge with stats, which is another reason for the Cam Newton comparison.  

Do QBs that are below average in passing metrics early in their career also run for 50 yards per game and lead the league in rushing TDs?  

Do they make throws only 3-4 other QBs in the NFL can make? 

Are they 6’5 with a cannon?  

Year 3, with what will presumably be a strong offense around him, is a year he needs to improve, but the rapid improvement from Year 1 to 2 is a pretty good reason to have hope that he will.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I always heard from some nfl personnel guys i know that as a QB “ you are what you are by year 3”. I don’t know if that’s the magic # or not. But I don’t think it’s less than that. 

10 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

If you are thinking that Beane and McDermott should or will consider moving on from Josh Allen you will most likely be extremely disappointed.

You like all of us will just have to wait till next season to see if Josh Allen proves it or not.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

He struggled yesterday?? I thought he looked pretty sharp all game. He made a couple bone headed decisions - and I’ll chalk those up to being a young guy trying to win the game by himself when it became apparent the coaching wasn’t going to do him any favors in the 4th quarter - but by no means would I say that he struggled. That’s ridiculous. 

Cole Beasley. I’m telling you man, he’s trouble. He’s not the guy that is going make Allen better. 

Im joking by the way

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap
  • Like (+1) 1

I just have to laugh at anyone criticizing the players for not instantly being over the loss. If they were automatically over it, it would indicate that they don't really care. Welp, these dudes care. The culture they've created is a team that really cares about one another. Beyond that, they're human beings, they're allowed to be bummed out. I've never understood this perception some "fans" seem to have, they look at these dudes like they're some kinda fancy football machine and they should shirk all other aspects of life and do ONLY football ALL the time. Get the eff outta here with that. 

The fact that Allen displayed legitimate improvement in areas he struggled with in 2018 is enough for me to believe that he'll come back for 2020 even more refined and ready to go. The dude wants it. Sometimes maybe too much, maybe that's what drives his high-risk heroball shenanigans. Maybe Daboll should've settled him down in OT and realized he had a whole new quarter and three timeouts. Run the ball a bit, do the things that got you there. Instead, he coached as if they had 30 seconds left and needed 60 yards all in one play. Calling low-percentage passes didn't seem like the best strategy.

And I said this in another thread but anyone who thinks wholesale player/coaching changes are the answer...move along, cause that ain't it. Continue to build on what they got. They have some cornerstone pieces, they've drafted well, they've signed quality free agents, they'll start extending their own guys pretty soon. Pretty much all the things fans speak of when talking about what goes into building a contender. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you are thinking that Beane and McDermott should or will consider moving on from Josh Allen you will most likely be extremely disappointed.

You like all of us will just have to wait till next season to see if Josh Allen proves it or not.

That's where I'm at. I'm not nearly as bullish on Allen as many, but everyone is just gonna have to wait on conclusive answers. Most, if not all of those questions will be answered next season.

He struggled yesterday?? I thought he looked pretty sharp all game. He made a couple bone headed decisions - and I’ll chalk those up to being a young guy trying to win the game by himself when it became apparent the coaching wasn’t going to do him any favors in the 4th quarter - but by no means would I say that he struggled. That’s ridiculous. 

Allen got extremely lucky. He made some very good throws, but his negative plays outweighed the good. That was a  very bad defense he was facing. 

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He struggled in crunch time. But I also thought he played well overall. Had a TD dropped, made some big time throws, big time runs. But I asked an objective 3rd party who watched the game  just to make Sure I wasn’t biased and he said he thought he was good but reckless. Super talented but still raw. Said “he’s only 23! Exciting”. I accepted that answer. 

Did something similar... just looked at a bunch of different football reporting sources to see how biased I was being. Most acknowledged the up and down performance we all saw. Clutch and on target throws through most of the game, then some wide-eyed reckless desperation plays later with a playoff game on the line.

A lot of focus on the lateral and I guess that is to be expected as it was the most glaring proof that Josh had lost the handle on the actual game situation. Unlike the news outlets, I also blame Daboll and Dorsey for not recognizing the situation earlier and working between the offensive series to talk to Allen review where they were at and what they needed and the time available. Just helping keep your young QB grounded.

That is what a QB coach does during games, but maybe they tried and it was not effective. Either way, something that Allen and the team needs to do better. First full season behind center and the kid helped guide this team, sometimes carried this team, to a 10 win season and playoffs.

He has work to do, but I saw things that make me think that with the right pieces in place he can take another step in the right direction - like the 50/50 balls Allen was willing to throw to Duke that have been rare with his determination not to turn the ball over. He still needs to get the ball out earlier when his receivers are coming out of their breaks as the Texans sat on some of those shorter sideline and comeback routes and nearly had picks.

My hope is that OBD coaching staff also spend some time objectively reviewing game tape and the decisions that they made and whether they brought their "A" game. McDermott preaches 360 evaluation and continual improvement... have faith that as an org they will make the changes necessary to continue to improve.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They're saying Allen struggled, not Watson.

1 hour ago, egd said:

Chip on his shoulder?? Won't be over the loss until next season?? New England players get over the loss by the next day, and are onto the next game. I know I am over the loss. I don't let myself become emotionally invested in a game. Josh needs to learn to maintain his focus. The Houston game means nothing.

?

Stunning stupidity,  even for a newbie on TBD. Well done, sir  Setting a new (low) standard.

?

• Thank you (+1) 1