Locker Room Cleanout - interviews

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen got extremely lucky. He made some very good throws, but his negative plays outweighed the good. That was a  very bad defense he was facing. 

Does it matter how bad their secondary is when you're giving up instant pressure on a 3 man rush in a max protect lol the bills offense was rolling until the offensive line was getting absolutely whooped every play down the stretch...which has happened in every one of these "josh allen has regressed" type games.  They had 4 linemen with a shot to block one defender on a designed QB run to essentially win the game and nobody did...think that summed up the season perfectly 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's where I'm at. I'm not nearly as bullish on Allen as many, but everyone is just gonna have to wait on conclusive answers. Most, if not all of those questions will be answered next season.

He is a fine young man that is easy to root for.  I'm sure I have made some excuses for him BUT he is the teams quarterback and that carries

the heaviest of responsibilities.  There was IMO plenty of players and coaches responsible for the good and bad this year, how much is

"discussed" on this board minute by minute but whether Josh Allen gets better or not is the most important.

Staying the course and putting the best players and coaching around him is what I think is needed and I'll watch the off season to see

if that happens.  I still think he's got a decent chance of being something special.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Does it matter how bad their secondary is when you're giving up instant pressure on a 3 man rush in a max protect lol the bills offense was rolling until the offensive line was getting absolutely whooped every play down the stretch...which has happened in every one of these "josh allen has regressed" type games.  They had 4 linemen with a shot to block one defender on a designed QB run to essentially win the game and nobody did...think that summed up the season perfectly 

There were a few plays the OL let Allen down. Typically this season vs 4 or less they did a good job. I'm not exactly sure why they were confused at times. When lineman are confused it's typically because they're in the wrong protection. Josh Allen has final say on all protection calls. I'm not saying Josh Allen put his line in poor position on plays but it's likely. Cody Ford simply got beat on a couple.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There were a few plays the OL let Allen down. Typically this season vs 4 or less they did a good job. I'm not exactly sure why they were confused at times. When lineman are confused it's typically because they're in the wrong protection. Josh Allen has final say on all protection calls. I'm not saying Josh Allen put his line in poor position on plays but it's likely. Cody Ford simply got beat on a couple.

Oh yea no question it would be on him if they were in the wrong protection.  I'd have to rewatch to confirm this which would be torture but yesterday it seemed like it wasnt the wrong protection as much as it was guys couldnt hold blocks down the stretch.  That 4th and 27 play was a disaster where they were in a max protect hail Mary situation and gave up instant pressure...the only option josh really had was to throw the ball away on 4th down which would not exactly be a decision that we celebrated either ?

28 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen got extremely lucky. He made some very good throws, but his negative plays outweighed the good. That was a  very bad defense he was facing. 

19 th in scoring D. Not great but closer to average than very bad. Bills offensive weapons don’t scare anyone except Daboll. 

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He is a fine young man that is easy to root for.  I'm sure I have made some excuses for him BUT he is the teams quarterback and that carries

the heaviest of responsibilities.  There was IMO plenty of players and coaches responsible for the good and bad this year, how much is

"discussed" on this board minute by minute but whether Josh Allen gets better or not is the most important.

Staying the course and putting the best players and coaching around him is what I think is needed and I'll watch the off season to see

if that happens.  I still think he's got a decent chance of being something special.

Zero doubt about the bolded.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, egd said:

In the twitter quote, Allen says he won't be over the loss until next season. In order to improve, you must clear your mind.

What about “those whom choose to forget past mistakes are doomed to repeat them.” While I believe that he shouldn’t obsess over mistakes if he completely obliterated them from his thinking Then the impetus to learn and react differently is dimmed. I think he has proven himself a capable learner and it will continue and especially with an OC who won’t fail to use the best offensive player on the field in the second half yesterday (motor) to help him feel he doesn’t need to be the hero in all situations. If it were a single interception yes that sort of play put behind you as no one is perfect all the time I get that but not a game like yesterday. 

Edited by Margarita
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They don't have to scare people. And Brown's speed does scare defenses. No one on that defense can cover Brown or Beasley. 

They managed to yesterday. Beasley disappeared pretty much. This offense has been under 20 points per game all year

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's where I'm at. I'm not nearly as bullish on Allen as many, but everyone is just gonna have to wait on conclusive answers. Most, if not all of those questions will be answered next season.

Honestly, I'm more bullish on Allen than I am on McDermott.  Josh is a competitor and will learn, not sure I can say the same for McD and his staff.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They actually average a lot less when making Williams a key part. That's beside the point. Beasley wasn't a part of the game plan, it was obvious.

There were several times in the second half when Beasley was not on the field at all.

Yet we had Patrick DiMarco lined up out wide. Brilliant. <_<

• Thank you (+1) 6

2 hours ago, egd said:

Chip on his shoulder?? Won't be over the loss until next season?? New England players get over the loss by the next day, and are onto the next game. I know I am over the loss. I don't let myself become emotionally invested in a game. Josh needs to learn to maintain his focus. The Houston game means nothing.

Well, you're right about this, but I think you may be overstating the case.   

I don't know how Josh will respond, but good athletes keep the memory of losses in their heads and are motivated by them.   There's a difference between dwelling on losses and being motivated by them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

You can take his 69.5 QBR from yesterday and stare at his poster on your wall. I prefer Watson's 121.2

The kid sucks.

Good for you. Cheer them on through the playoffs. Maybe even join their board.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Honestly, I'm more bullish on Allen than I am on McDermott.  Josh is a competitor and will learn, not sure I can say the same for McD and his staff.

It's tough to say. It's possible that McD is more conservative than he'd like to be because he doesn't fully trust Allen. Or maybe he's just conservative and it's impeding Allen's progress.

I'm personally impressed with McD's track record in terms of maximizing win totals. That's how I judge HC's. Maybe he's not a "champion." Didn't coach like a champion yesterday. But I'm not ready to throw him under the bus and he gets a slight pass given his playoff QB's were Tyrod(good guy, very average QB) and a young JA(good kid, very shaky at times.)

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 4