2020 Bills Unrestricted Free Agents

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s probably a better Guard as well. But RT is a premium position that, if he can develop into it, is a huge piece and we have young bookend OTs. He had held his own this year against some very good Ds. Just think I would give him more time to develop there, now if a better option comes available that’s another story. 

Fair enough. I’m also in agreement with you that you’ve got to give guys an some opportunity to develop. But it’s a fine line/delicate balance. You have to be bold and make a call the second you realize maybe it’s not working out. Maybe he did that with all the guys I referenced, but I think it was clear earlier than he made the call that many of those guys may not make it. Ford split starter reps or got starter reps all year at RT. He was still struggling with the same things yesterday as he was at the start of the year. He had some bright moments this year certainly, but I’m not considering that RT position solved as I go into the off season. 

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed, and in additIon offer contracts early to Milano, and White.  Then we’ll have a handle on how much to invest in free agency vs. holding some back as Allen’s contract is coming up unless they place the 5th year option on him, and to me you only do that if you still have any question whether he is the future.

I don't see Milano as someone that gets a big 2nd contract here. Those contracts for good but not great players are what hurts your cap.

57 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I know I mean move on from them and free more money  Dont want to ever see Dimarco lined up at wr again  Its haunting me in my sleep

He mostly plays special teams and is a blocked on offense.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s probably a better Guard as well. But RT is a premium position that, if he can develop into it, is a huge piece and we have young bookend OTs. He had held his own this year against some very good Ds. Just think I would give him more time to develop there, now if a better option comes available that’s another story. 

Yeah he's definitely going to get a shot at RT next year but I bet they bring someone in to compete at the position this offseason.

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We had nobody better than those people and he got rid of them as soon as we had a replacement. He cut Benjamin during the season. Wasn't Ducasse benched last season?

Yes, all true. But my point was we stuck with them too long. How is it that most people in the media and on this board see it. McD stubbornly sticks with it a little too long. Then he ends up cutting, or benching a guy we’ve been calling for them to move on from anyway. None of us are smarter than him when it comes to NFL roster management. And we can’t see the future. I say it’s loyalty with a dash of stubbornness. Honestly, how else would you explain it?

12 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Who did we have that was better?  The focus the first 2 years was on defense, this past offseason was offense, hence, 9 new starters. It's not about loyalty.

The fact that we didn’t have anyone better is kinda the point isn’t it? As one example, We neglected receiver in the draft for two years now because we were waiting on Zay Jones to develop. 

Edited by TheProcess

If you can get Spain, Lawson and Phillips for 20-23 million a year for all, I'd say do it. You have to figure that Hughes probably only has a year left in Buffalo and Star two years max. I didn't see Liuget mentioned and would keep him around also.

We need to find a LB to replace Zo, I'm not sure if Joseph or any of the other LBs on staff are up to it. Question is do we just replace Zo or get a MLB and kick Edmunds outside.

At CB we have Tre' and Taron Johnson as the Nickle and a couple guys who would be decent depth in Levy and K. Johnson. Drafting a CB semi high might be needed.

Most of the defense needs to go to tackling school as there were far too many missed tackles all year.

on the offensive line, try and re-sign Spain, move Ford to RG and draft a RT on day two of the draft. Feliciano is better than Long at both G and C so keep him around. Either Nsehke or Waddle or Bates ( can he grow into a starter ?) can be your swing tackle. If Spain decides to leave, move Ford to LG, keep Feliciano at RG and still draft a RT day two.

Singletary is the #1 RB and Yeldon can replace him for a few plays if needed. I'd go and find a big guy either late in the draft or in FA to back up Singletary and tire out defenses.

WR - We need a #1 who is big, fast and has great hands. Brown is a great #2 and speed guy and Beasley is the slot guy. I like Duke as #4 and I'd keep McKittrick #5. Foster can probably go and you'd never hear from him again.

TE - Knox and Sweeney should both improve in their 2nd seasons. Smith makes too much per penalty and Kroft is always a ? with his injury history.

1. WR

2. LB

3. OT

4. CB

5. RB

6. DE

7. P

I think Jordan Phillips will get bigger money elsewhere. They can sign someone in free agency at lesser cost to rotate as a backup with Oliver. Star will back up Harrison Phillips. 

Sign Lawson at about $7M per year. He’s strong against the run, but he’s not a great pass rusher. 

Offer Spain somewhere in the $7M per year range as well. I think he’ll be able to get more on the free agent market. I think Feliciano is the more valuable player and I don’t want to invest too much money into the guards when we already invested into Morse and will likely need to spend $10+ on Dawkins. 

Wallace and Foster are ERFA’s so they can’t go anywhere else. They’ll come back basically at what they were paid this year. That’ll be no more than $1.5M combined for the two of them. 

If they do need a guard I would like to see them go after BJ Finney. He’s been the 6th offensive lineman for Pittsburgh for a few years and has started at both guard spots and center. He could challenge Spencer Long for the starting gig.

Then draft another lineman in the later rounds (tackle in round 5) to challenge Waddle and Bates for the swing job. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d want Spain back, the issue is that if everyone feels like Ford is a guard...then one of these guard spots needs to be open. If I know anything about McDermott, he’s going to play the guys he drafted. That’s just what’s going to happen. So if Ford is going to play, then I want him to play the position he’s best at. That probably means : no Spain unfortunately 

Viewed on the hoof, Ford looks like a tackle.

They need a top shelf NFL receiver everything else is second fiddle!  Go get Amari Cooper- drafting a guy will take 2 years to develop- if they don’t it eill just be more of the same 

Edited by davspo

I think they’re all relatively replaceable honestly. Spain was the best of the 3 main guys this year imo, but could also argue that Ford should be at guard and Spain’s presence likely prevents that so -shrugs-. I won’t mind if we re-sign the big 3 but I won’t be upset if they walk either. Think we likely sign them given our cap space though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think they’re all relatively replaceable honestly. Spain was the best of the 3 main guys this year imo, but could also argue that Ford should be at guard and Spain’s presence likely prevents that so -shrugs-. I won’t mind if we re-sign the big 3 but I won’t be upset if they walk either. Think we likely sign them given our cap space though. 

This.  I like Spain, but we need to play Ford somewhere.  

Is the line better as:

Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Feliciano - Ford

That line would have a full year of continuity.  

OR

Dawkins - Ford - Morse - Feliciano - Conklin(?)

I’d probably want the latter, if possible.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yep, this. Jordan Phillips is the most overrated Bill in a long time. Let some other team overpay him for his sack numbers. He finishes plays but he doesn't make enough plays, if that makes sense. And he's terrible against the run.

Shaq Lawson gets sacks because of the scheme more than his ability. Plays decently against the run which makes him good depth but that's all. Some team might try to pay him like a former 1st round pick. Let them. His production can be found in the draft.

I have the same question about Spain as you do. I would bring him back but if Ford only plays LG, not RG, then paying Spain could be pointless. That being said I don't think it's wise to assume Ford will be better than Spain even at LG. So I'd still bring Spain back for the competition if nothing else.

Every other player on that list is replacement level IMO.

I like Lawson on a mid level contract. Particularly with Hughes getting older and turnover coming at the position. He’s damn good against the run and does an excellent job keeping mobile QBs contained. That said, he and Murphy can be improved upon. It’s a matter of resources. 

I’m not as enamored with Spain as some. If he’s back I’d like to see him drop some weight. He’s had a few mishaps where he gets exposed by stunts. I’m still not sure how much of that is on him or Morse and Allen setting protections. He’s upgradable for sure, but he’s also nowhere near a liability. Ford might be after a position change - it’s an unknown. Unfortunately we don’t have any dominant lineman to elevate play across the board. That would make guys like Spain look better. 

Sign Phillips and Lawson, let the rest of them walk and replace them in the draft or FA.  Priority get a top tier experienced #1 WR in FA,  and better LB's.  Our  LB core IMO is still to soft. With all respect for Edmunds and Milano,  they have been exposed this year on their weaknesses with stopping the run consistently.

I always like hearing this

Bills OG Quinton Spain said he told his agent that if the Bills want him back he’d like to get something done before free agency begins.

That means he wants to play here and it might be a reasonable deal. :)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally would sign Shaq if I could only have one of him or Phillips. Prefer both obviously. 

I would absolutely pay Quinton Spain

I feel on that list Spain and Jordan Philips will return. 

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

The fact that we didn’t have anyone better is kinda the point isn’t it? As one example, We neglected receiver in the draft for two years now because we were waiting on Zay Jones to develop. 

Or you can say we focused on the defense for the first 2 seasons and last offseason we focused on offense.