Josh Allen article

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Didn't he try to jump over someone near the end of the game too?

Yes, and he almost had it too. 

The kid was trying to make a play. At least he held onto the ball. That’s promising. 

He has a lot of flaws, but he’s got guts. You mix that with experience and the physical tools, and gee whiz we are in for a treat. 

There is not a person among us, who in their most panicked professional moment, not made a mistake that will haunt us forever. Most of us get second chances and get to learn from them. Josh Allen has given zero reason to believe he is not capable of the same. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I hope we never see him bail backwards on a blitz on the edge of fg range, lateral a ball randomly, or heave it to a FB in double coverage- and those are just the exceptionally bizarre choices.

He has made a ton of plays all season doing the exact same things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. And it wasn't a random lateral, he was trying to get it to Knox so we could maybe, you know, score points and win the game. I remember seeing Flutie do the same thing only successfully. It's easy to critique choices after the results are in. If he gets it to Knox, he is a genius. If he pulls off a houdini like escape on the blitz as he has done many times before, we'd all be applauding. Despite what anyone thinks of his play which was certainly not perfect, he got us to OT in a desperate situation at the end of regulation and he had us in position for a game winning FG until that ridiculous call on Ford.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Oh boy. 

You should read it. It’s actually pretty funny, and if you can’t laugh at how goofy some of his plays from this game were, then you might be taking “the game” a little bit too serious. 

The article is a light hearted look at the doltish things our QB does. 

You're right.   The article is great.   Really funny, but it's clear that the author also appreciates Josh's talents.  

4 hours ago, egd said:

37 is not that good. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a 48.

37 is better than about 90% of all NFL QBs.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Maybe by some fans, but for the most part, if they win the game no one would be complaining. If they win the game, that goofy lateral is “dont ever do that again” kind of a moment. If they win the game, that horrid 4th and 27 is a moment when we all willfully forget how we got there as fan base and a team. 

There’s no greater cause of amnesia in sports, than success. 

The 4th and 27 is nothing more than a reminder of how inept the o line still is...

4 hours ago, Buffbills716 said:

He never should have thrown a "Hail Mary"-type pass to a double-covered fullback/WR in the first place.  My point is that if a QB is going to do that, throwing to a taller WR is the better call.  

Well sure it is, but for some reason our brilliant OC thinks a slow plodding fullback is the best option on that play?

4 hours ago, Buffbills716 said:

I am getting tired of long-term projects.  Allen smells, tastes, feels like a JP/EJ.  I give him one more year, then cut the cord.

Oh, my heavens.  

In JP's third year in Buffalo, he had a passer rating of 85 and never got close again.  He went 7-9 in that season and had only 3 other wins in his career.  

In EJ's second season in Buffalo he had a passer rating of 80 and never got close again.  

After his second season in Buffalo, Josh Allen improved to 85 went 10-6 and went to the playoffs.   Allen runs better than both, throws better than both and already has more career wins than both.   

Not sure what you're looking at.  

3 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The 4th and 27 is nothing more than a reminder of how inept the o line still is...

Well sure it is, but for some reason our brilliant OC thinks a slow plodding fullback is the best option on that play?

You're right about the o line. 

The throw to DiMarco was on Allen, not Daboll.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, my heavens.  

In JP's third year in Buffalo, he had a passer rating of 85 and never got close again.  He went 7-9 in that season and had only 3 other wins in his career.  

In EJ's second season in Buffalo he had a passer rating of 80 and never got close again.  

After his second season in Buffalo, Josh Allen improved to 85 went 10-6 and went to the playoffs.   Allen runs better than both, throws better than both and already has more career wins than both.   

Allen is definitely better as a prospect than EJ or Losman were, but I agree that in a year we are definitely going to know what we have at the position and that it's sufficient time to bring in competition if we don't see league average passing efficiency or better. We play in an era where players that make bad decisions or have a gunslinger mentality don't succeed because passing efficiency is king. To make it clear, Josh should be the starter next year and I will think he will get there, but NFL development has a shelf life because that's how rookie scale contracts work.

I think the key to developing Allen as a passer is to find something he can do consistently as a passer and do it a lot. I don't know what that is yet. Just looking statistically, Josh has 9 games below the eating average and 8 games above it in 17 starts this year and the offense varies wildly like his play does.

1 minute ago, y2zipper said:

Allen is definitely better as a prospect than EJ or Losman were, but I agree that in a year we are definitely going to know what we have at the position and that it's sufficient time to bring in competition if we don't see league average passing efficiency or better. We play in an era where players that make bad decisions or have a gunslinger mentality don't succeed because passing efficiency is king. To make it clear, Josh should be the starter next year and I will think he will get there, but NFL development has a shelf life because that's how rookie scale contracts work.

I think the key to developing Allen as a passer is to find something he can do consistently as a passer and do it a lot. I don't know what that is yet. Just looking statistically, Josh has 9 games below the eating average and 8 games above it in 17 starts this year and the offense varies wildly like his play does.

I agree that if Allen doesn't improve next season over this season, there will be doubts.   I was reacting to the notion that he isn't showing more that EJ or JP showed.   That's ridiculous.  He runs better, he passes better, he leads better.   

My objective for this season was to get within the top 20 in passer rating.   He finished 24th, and say what you will about the receivers and the oline, Allen didn't do as well as I hoped.   My objective for next year, going into this season, was top 10.   That's going to require a big leap, but I don't mind if he doesn't get there.   The objective for 2019 was a meaningful improvement over 2018, and we got that.   If we see a meaningful improvement again in 2020, I'm good.  

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, my heavens.  

Not sure what you're looking at.  

You're right about the o line. 

The throw to DiMarco was on Allen, not Daboll.  

He didn’t have a better option and if DiMarco doesn’t jump a step too soon, he has a good chance of catching it.  A Qb in that situation can’t question what open receiver he is throwing too, he has to trust them to make the catch.  And I say it’s ok Daboll for having him on the field and calling that play...

8 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Didn't read it after I saw this, if true...and I assume it is. Calling a guy who is obviously bright, and scored a 37 on the Wonderlic is a disqualifier for me.

Lighten up Francis.  It's parody. 

If you consider that's Josh became a player to watch after the hurdle in Minnesota last year (a maneuver he somewhat replicated along the sideline yesterday with lesser success), then you have to admit this article is actually on point.

Josh is definitely not boring.

8 hours ago, Kemp said:

Josh Allen gets one more season to prove he's a franchise QB. 

Panicking in the biggest moments is not encouraging. 

Getting zero TDs against a poor D is not encouraging. 

All will be forgotten if next season is much better. If not, dump him.

well  well.

you can always draft another one right ?

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I hope we never see him bail backwards on a blitz on the edge of fg range, lateral a ball randomly, or heave it to a FB in double coverage- and those are just the exceptionally bizarre choices.

no kidding : (

Flushed out of the pocket takes on new meaning when running backwards

ala Tyrod perhaps

7 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I was telling somebody yesterday it's almost like Josh plays like a fan out there. He just tries to do too much sometimes. I get the feeling that he has embraced Buffalo almost too much to the point where he feels like it's all on his shoulders

good post

5 hours ago, Buffbills716 said:

After three years, it won't be me, but the Bills.  He needs a decent OC if he ever hopes to take it to the next level.

which is it then ?

• Like (+1) 1

Wow, this topic has been fun to read.  Let's be honest about a couple of things though:

Fitz is a Harvard man, Josh is from Wyoming.  That Fitz had a better wunderlich should not be a surprise to anyone.  No shame in Fitzy outscoring you.

I was wondering why our FB was 50 yards downfield in the first place.  I hope to draw coverage from a primary target.  IF he had actually timed that ball better (something I would not expect from a FB BTW), you would have heard a collective DIMARCO??? from space.  Some because they never heard of him, the rest of us because we would still be wondering what he was doing there in the first place.

I also feel you cannot say if DiMarco timed his jump better he would have caught it.  Having two defenders on his back may have impeded his ability to maintain control on the way down.  Just sayin'.

2 minutes ago, familykwi said:

I also feel you cannot say if DiMarco timed his jump better he would have caught it. 

That was probably the craziest aspect of that play: He could have actually caught the ball. He completely mistimed his jump.

8 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I hate that he called him a dolt but I said the same thing in a thread the other day: I’m excited any time he has the ball. 

For all his faults, he has improved dramatically this year. From completion percentage to limiting INT’s to getting rid of hero ball. I can’t wait to see what next season brings!

Love Josh Allen. Very exciting. Showed progress statistically, limited the picks.

He's here to stay but no - he has not got rid of the hero ball!!! It's was there in the second half yesterday. It was the old Josh Allen. 

Every time I trash Allen on another sub 60% completion percentage game the day after I look back & think how someone so crazy could be given the keys to our franchise.

This kid is reckless. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is given the nickname “Skywalker” for his insane play. He’s 50% Light Side 50% Dark Side. He’s the ‘chosen one’. I believe Daboll loves that maniac & there’s a lot of mutual appreciation. 

? to you Josh “Skywalker” Allen. 

4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Love Josh Allen. Very exciting. Showed progress statistically, limited the picks.

He's here to stay but no - he has not got rid of the hero ball!!! It's was there in the second half yesterday. It was the old Josh Allen. 

Even with those "Old Josh Allen" head-scratching decisions, he still led the team to the game tying FG and, had it not been for the penalty on Ford, a chance at the game winning FG in OT.