Josh Allen article

46 minutes ago, SCBills said:

One fan-view positive to take is that Josh Allen did gain a level of respect this year.  

It’s not “that dude is a franchise QB”..

Its more along the lines of “that dude is ridiculously talented but also kind of a crackhead”....

....but, hey, that’s better than “completion percentage derrrr, doesn’t belong in the league” points of view we had to deal with. 

Lol Allen’s new nickname should be “Crackhead” ????

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Whether the play or pattern should have been called is a separate issue.  Watch the play.  It was not a ridiculous throw.  It was a throw to a guy who had position and just needs to time his jump better for a big completion.  Quit looking for false reasons to criticize the QB.

It was thrown to a man in double coverage.  Quit trying to gloss over his mistakes!

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

And DiMarco had position and should have caught it.  Quit trying to deny what you saw.

We can agree to disagree.  I just wish the throw was to a WR, not 50 yards down the field in double coverage.  If the throw had been to Duke, your argument may have merit, but to a guy who averages 6.5 catches per season?

Just now, Buffbills716 said:

We can agree to disagree.  I just wish the throw was to a WR, not 50 yards down the field in double coverage.  If the throw had been to Duke, your argument may have merit, but to a guy who averages 6.5 catches per season?

There just wasn’t anyone open so throw it downfield and hope he makes a play.  He doesn’t it’s like a punt anyway.  He jumps a fraction of a second later it’s a completion.  So I don’t see why it should be criticized so heavily.

We have all seen Marino, Elway, Kelly, Farve, Manning, Brees, Brady throw jump balls to men on double coverage.  If DMarco jumps at the right time it’s a great play.  Still, a very questionable call and play.  

Josh will benefit from better players around him.  He does not have a #1 WR, we saw that yesterday.   Singletary looks like a nice player but we will be better off if he is part of a tandem with a fresh and bruising power back.   Knox is a work in progress.  The OL has graduated to average and can benefit from better tackles.  

Josh still has a lot to learn but he does have a great set of physical tools and a great attitude.   That said I have never witnessed a playoff game with as much chaotic play and dare I say panic as I saw with Allen.  He got more erratic as the game went on.  Hopefully this is a turning point in the right direction for him.  

2 minutes ago, Buffbills716 said:

So what would you say if he forced it to one of the other WRs who were covered and running running shallower routes and had that pass get picked off? Dimarco had position and never made the play on the ball. Even if it did get picked off 50 yards down field  it isn’t much difference then a punt. 

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Josh Allen gets one more season to prove he's a franchise QB. 

Panicking in the biggest moments is not encouraging. 

Getting zero TDs against a poor D is not encouraging. 

All will be forgotten if next season is much better. If not, dump him.

Actually, he will probably get longer than just next season.

Deservedly so, I might add.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Josh Allen gets one more season to prove he's a franchise QB. 

Panicking in the biggest moments is not encouraging. 

Getting zero TDs against a poor D is not encouraging. 

All will be forgotten if next season is much better. If not, dump him.

Yeah, no. He's a long term project. You either go all in or not at all. If you cut him you absolutely know he'll get a second chance with another team and you wiull be kicking yourself.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It was a funny take and had moments of truth.  But it made me think of something else - are the Bills, Deboll & McD screwing Josh Allen up?

While the writer of this article was being a smart a## he was also noting something that we Bills fans are already aware of - Allen makes jaw dropping plays and plays QB with a creativity seldom seen in the NFL. 

Last year Lamar Jackson was booed at home as he had a terrible game in the playoff against San Diego.  The "new" offense  the ravens were trying to run seemed to implode in the playoffs.  Who watching that game, including most of the 65,000 people in the stadium, weren't calling for Joe Flaco?  But the Ravens in the off season doubled down on their crazy offense and put even more pieces around Jackson to make it happen.  The result was there for all to see.

Maybe what the Bills need to do is treat Allen like the Ravens treat Jackson - as an unconventional talent that could redefine how the QB position is played.  Change the offense to FOCUS on and FEATURE the wild stuff that Allen does.  Surround Allen with equally creative and wacky PLAY MAKERS.  On this current offense ONLY Singleterry would fit the kind of skill player Allen should have around him.  Guys like SF's Kittle or Carolina's McCaffrey would thrive in such an environment. 

Just some food for thought and I hope Daboll, Bean & McD do a little out of the box thinking this off season.  Or we can stick with splitting Gore & DeMarco out wide in an empty backfield.  You know a play design that deprives Allen of extra protection while simultaneously removing 40% of the threat the spread out "play makers" are supposed to represent?

I agree with doubling down. But it's Josh Allen's passing that needs to be developed. I want him running less, not more. He has the ability to make great throws, let's surround him by guys that get open and catch the ball. He can be a great passer once things slow down a bit more for him and he continues to mature. His brain has to grow into his body. 

• Like (+1) 1

What gives me great hope about Josh is the realization that he’s really only played 2 years of football against high competition, and one of those years he was (a) not the starter going into the year and thus shared training camp reps with 2 others and (b) was hurt for a part of that year.  Take Watson for a counter example.  He played at Clemson against the ACC and teams like Alabama in huge games for several years before the NFL.

i think Josh made big strides his year, and if he makes similar strides next year, watch out.....

• Like (+1) 1

Josh reminds me so much of Favre - energetic, playful, and often reckless. His gunslinger mentality wins a lot of games, but once in a while he does something that makes you say, "WTF?" He seems more humble than Favre, however, which gives me hope that he'll tame that instinct a bit - but not too much.

Yeah, the article was sarcastic and the writer was ripping on Josh, but you've gotta admit, that was one hell of an entertaining game. We're bummed about the outcome, but if Ford doesn't get called for the block and we win in OT, it's a whole different narrative today.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BananaB said:

So what would you say if he forced it to one of the other WRs who were covered and running running shallower routes and had that pass get picked off? Dimarco had position and never made the play on the ball. Even if it did get picked off 50 yards down field  it isn’t much difference then a punt. 

He never should have thrown a "Hail Mary"-type pass to a double-covered fullback/WR in the first place.  My point is that if a QB is going to do that, throwing to a taller WR is the better call.  

3 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Didn't read it after I saw this, if true...and I assume it is. Calling a guy who is obviously bright, and scored a 37 on the Wonderlic is a disqualifier for me.

37 is not that good. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a 48.

22 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, no. He's a long term project. You either go all in or not at all. If you cut him you absolutely know he'll get a second chance with another team and you wiull be kicking yourself.

I agree with doubling down. But it's Josh Allen's passing that needs to be developed. I want him running less, not more. He has the ability to make great throws, let's surround him by guys that get open and catch the ball. He can be a great passer once things slow down a bit more for him and he continues to mature. His brain has to grow into his body. 

I am getting tired of long-term projects.  Allen smells, tastes, feels like a JP/EJ.  I give him one more year, then cut the cord.

1 minute ago, Buffbills716 said:

After three years, it won't be me, but the Bills.  He needs a decent OC if he ever hopes to take it to the next level.

They should hire Gregg Williams as HC if the Bills don't make it back to the playoffs next year. 

Just now, Motorin' said:

They should hire Gregg Williams as HC if the Bills don't make it back to the playoffs next year. 

Or keep Daboll.  I think the Bills should keep the playbook simple for Allen (i.e., get rid of Daboll) and get him some talent to support him.  If they do that, and I we are still screwing around with field goals/missed opportunities instead of TDs, then yes, cut the cord.